#121 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,625 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:19 PM

didnt atlanta try that with vick? how did that work out?

His 50% accuracy didn't make him a real "dual" threat. Not consistently anyway.

#122 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 7,060 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:20 PM

Not really, they were two different offensive philosophies at work, according to the article. Don't have it right on hand, but I believe they said something about how Atlanta's offensive philosophy was based on Dan Reeves' philosophy (I believe), which was more conservative and ol' skool, which tried to force Vick to be a pocket passer at all costs.

#123 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,642 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:21 PM

Seems to me they beat us like a drum with Vick in Atlanta ad made the playoffs several times. Not bad for a Qb who admitted he didn't learn the WCO offense while he was there and had fewer tools to work with than Newton does. Imagine what Vick could do with good teachers, strong motivation to succeed and hard work.

Wait..........

That is exactly what he had last year in Philly.

#124 The Saltman

The Saltman

I am always watching so make sure you keep your clothes on

• Moderators
  • 24,891 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:25 PM

im just saying that he looked much better in philly as a pocket passer and used his other skills when need be. In Atlanta it was much different. He ran a lot more, got hurt a lot more, and things went downhill from there.

#125 mercules20

mercules20

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:32 PM

The idea that these linebackers are suddenly going to kill a 6'5 250 pound man is laughable.
:cam:
Posted Image

The romanticizing of just how incredibly destructive LBs of the NFL are has become incredibly overblown at this point.

Generally they aren't that much stronger than any college LB. They are faster, more fundamentally sound, and smarter. Linebackers don't go from wimpy college kids to super humans just bc they get drafted into the NFL.

I personally know a guy that played linebacker in high school that is likely stronger than 90% of NFL LBs but he never even played much in college. He couldn't tackle and had no lateral movement.

I agree we don't want Cam running 20 times a game but give me a break. The LBs that Marshawn Lynch ran all over and stiff armed all over the place in the playoffs last year aren't supermen.

not to mention they're in our division :)

#126 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 7,060 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:36 PM

According to the ESPN Magazine article:

In his first four seasons as a full-time starter, he was named to three Pro Bowls, and by 2004 Vick had the Falcons in the NFC championship game---all while operating in schemes that often hindered his rare gifts instead of accentuating them. Until 2004, Vick ran Dan Reeves' run oriented offense, an antiquated system incorporating elements back to the 1970s...'There has been a change in the entire philosophy of football,' says Steelers defensive coordinator Dick Labeau. 'You can hardly watch a high school game today without seeing empty backfields, spread-out receivers and teams throwing 70% of the time. The quarterbacks are more gifted and the game is wide open.'...the new Vick displayed preternatural poise inside the pocket. He didn't bolt at the first sign of trouble. He stayed one step ahead of defensive stunts and disguises. He showed a mastery of Reid's complex scheme. which is designed to push the vertical limits of the west coast offense. It was a natural fit for Vick, who found himself operating much like a point guard in basketball---deciphering the chaos, calmly distributing the ball and calling his number only when absolutely necessary.

He may have been beating our ass, but he was losing confidence. He admitted his loss of confidence in the article. He says Reid's schemes have made all the difference.

Anyone who doesn't have an ESPN Mag subscription, may want to get this one. Might give you some insight into the way we should possibly be handling Cam. It also has a piece on the probable success of the anti-Cam, Sam Bradford. Both can be successful playing to their respective strengths.

Edited by top dawg, 31 August 2011 - 10:46 PM.

#127 Hairless Cat

Hairless Cat

Thread Diddler

• HUDDLER
  • 2,356 posts
  • LocationShotgun Shack

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:38 PM

I would hope the yasinass, realizes that we have an overlarge rookie quarterback ( in Newton) playing for us and not an other worldly superman incapable of being hurt by mere mortal men. but apparently he has fallen to his knees before the Newton god as have so many other fools.

If The Camster goes down with a season ending injury, all you fools that think hes some sort of superhumanforce, will have to face the cold hard facts.:eek:

#128 The Saltman

The Saltman

• Moderators
  • 24,891 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:40 PM

and have jimmy clausen, your savior, start in his place and not win any games?

#129 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,642 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:41 PM

im just saying that he looked much better in philly as a pocket passer and used his other skills when need be. In Atlanta it was much different. He ran a lot more, got hurt a lot more, and things went downhill from there.

In Atlanta he was a one read and run quarterback. If his tight end, Crumpler wasn't open he ran. He didn't know anything about progressions or the WCO. He was still not a pure pocket passer in philly but he did go through his reads and actually change plays which he wasn't allowed to do in Atlanta under Mora.

He ran in Atlanta because he didn't know what else to do. In philly he actually learned to play quarterback.

#130 Razzy

Razzy

Banned

• HUDDLER
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:43 PM

He looked pretty dangerous scrambling against that prevent defense in the 2-minute. Rig that as a trick play and get him some blockers, that play might be a TD. He's not as quick and Vick and won't win as many 1 v 1 matchups when scrambling, but the guy is bigger than almost anyone who isn't on the line.

#131 The Saltman

The Saltman

• Moderators
  • 24,891 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:47 PM

In Atlanta he was a one read and run quarterback. If his tight end, Crumpler wasn't open he ran. He didn't know anything about progressions or the WCO. He was still not a pure pocket passer in philly but he did go through his reads and actually change plays which he wasn't allowed to do in Atlanta under Mora.

He ran in Atlanta because he didn't know what else to do. In philly he actually learned to play quarterback.

Thats good and thats what I want Cam to do. I dont want us to "unleash" cam. I want him to use his brain and work on his mechanics and become a quality pocket passer. But by all means use that body and his legs when needed. I just dont want us to turn cam into a runningback.

#132 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 7,060 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:52 PM

Thats good and thats what I want Cam to do. I dont want us to "unleash" cam. I want him to use his brain and work on his mechanics and become a quality pocket passer. But by all means use that body and his legs when needed. I just dont want us to turn cam into a runningback.

Got to have a pocket to be a quality pocket passer. Last year, and the last game, should have made that perfectly clear.

#133 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,642 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:53 PM

I agree. You can put him on the move with rollouts and allow him to get outside of the pocket without turning him into an option quarterback. I want him to run a couple times a game for first downs and to extend plays but surely not as a designed runner. Seems to me that would retard his development and increase the chance for injury. While I think he is tough and resistant to injury given his strength and size, that would still be tempting fate. It isn't like we have a great history keeping QBs healthy.

#134 The Saltman

The Saltman

• Moderators
  • 24,891 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:54 PM

Got to have a pocket to be a quality pocket passer. Last year, and the last game, should have made that perfectly clear.

You think I dont know that? We obviously need to fix the right side of our o line. doesnt mean we ignore it because Cam is a good runner. So what are you suggesting?

#135 Jacket60

Jacket60

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:58 PM

I don't understand this mentality that just because Newton is a QB, he's more prone to injury. He's bigger than most other QBs. Bigger than Vick. About the same as Big Ben and Freeman. As stated before, he's of similar size, if not bigger than most LBs. Bigger than safeties and corners. I'd also imagine Cam isn't very weak or fragile. I'm sure the guy is pretty strong and I'm sure he can take a hit.

He's also bigger than Deangelo and Stewart. Both of them will get 20-30 carries a game and everyone accepts this and doesn't worry about season ending injuries as much because they are labeled as running backs. But if Cam runs it a few times, it's too risky, he's gonna get killed, destroyed, taken off on a stretcher, career over.

Just because he is a QB? While this would be true for most QBs, it doesn't apply to Newton so much. If I only had one fear, my biggest fear would be someone diving straight into his knees, but hell that could happen to anyone. And it would be more likely to happen in the pocket than it would down field.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com