Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Police officer killed responding to fleeing suspects.

43 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I could be wrong here but I think that the prevailing thought on this kind of thing is that the suspects are culpable for anything that happens as a direct result of the commission of the crime. So while the officer in question may well have been traveling at what seems to most normal people an excessive speed, if he was within the regulations of his department the fault lies with the suspects.

I think that law applies in NC. NC is also pretty pussified and for the most part will back down from the original charge, so I doubt they end up being convicted for 2nd anyway.

Posted · Report post

Anyone have a link to this article? What exactly were the suspects wanted of?

Posted · Report post

Another conversation is the StarNews and WECT sueing the Wilmington PD to get the incar camera footage of the wreck.

Posted · Report post

Another conversation is the StarNews and WECT sueing the Wilmington PD to get the incar camera footage of the wreck.

Yeah, the initial newspaper article I read mentioned this... and at first the police chief would not release the crash details like the officers speed, etc. I doubt that the police will release that in car footage, the paper and TV will end up taking them to court.

Again, I hate it for the officer and his family, but that footage and all other details are public record and should be released. Obviously if there is anything on there that shows him or his injuries, that should be kept private.

Posted · Report post

Wow, I'm surprised that they released it. Good.

He was hauling ass down Shipyard, and he cut it hard to avoid that box, no wonder he lost it.

Posted · Report post

if the cop had hit a kid would he have been charged?

Posted · Report post

I thought he was going down Market ?

That time of night it would be easier to drive that fast, wilmington is pretty quiet then.

I do think it's poor taste of the local media to promote such, but it is there job.

It's not like you see the guy actually dying in the video.

Posted · Report post

They article didn't mention that they threw the box down there, and even if they did, it's like the size of a shoe-box, I doubt they meant harm and I doubt they put that on the road at all.

So the criminals were arrested for weed? You are driving 100mph to get to somewhere, to take down some guys with pot and a gun, at 1am in the morning when no one else is on the roads and in danger? No reason to drive that fast.

I know they want to blame someone, but making the criminals scapegoats for this is not right.

Posted · Report post

I thought he was going down Market ?

That time of night it would be easier to drive that fast, wilmington is pretty quiet then.

I do think it's poor taste of the local media to promote such, but it is there job.

It's not like you see the guy actually dying in the video.

It was Shipyard... he crashed into the woods across from Pine Valley Baptist church there near the bowling alley. I don't have a problem with the video being released as long as it didn't actually show him getting killed or his injuries.

Posted · Report post

Just another shining reason to decriminalize marijuana, imho.