Photo
- - - - -

Police officer killed responding to fleeing suspects.

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#31 Inimicus

Inimicus

Life is better in a kayak

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,030 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 03:41 PM

If a officer is responding to a domestic disturbance call, and goes 100MPH and dies en route, can the person who the call was made against be charged with second degree murder?

Even if it turns out he was innocent later?

If I recall correctly most jurisdictions in NC require approval from the dispatcher to exceed a standard limit over posted and that permission can be rescinded in mid pursuit.

So

If the officer was driving 110 miles per hour to a domestic disturbance with the prior approval required, and the suspect in the call was found to be acting in a dangerous manner that showed no regard for human life - then yeah they too could be indicted with 2nd degree murder. Convicted? who knows but indicted yes.

#32 Zaximus

Zaximus

I'm Brett Jensen

• HUDDLER
  • 4,781 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 11 March 2009 - 03:43 PM

no, but chances are the woman involved can be charged with first degree should've shut the fug up.

Haha

Really, this just seems wrong. I don't care if he was in his guidelines (if he was) it's not the criminals fault for those laws. In this case, whoever put the guidelines in place should also be charged.

#33 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 13,775 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 06:08 PM

The city streets are not built for ANYONE to drive 100+ miles an hour on. They can't give you enough timing tests in the police academy to be able to do that.

FWIW, where I live you're likely to find cardboard boxes and debris and other poo littered on the streets.

I don't get how anybody says the criminals are directly responsible for his death, without undeniable proof that that box was planted by them or whatever.

#34 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 06:16 PM

you cannot swerve around things at 100mph. Not on street tires, not in a road boat police cruiser.

#35 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• HUDDLER
  • 22,927 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 06:24 PM

If I recall correctly most jurisdictions in NC require approval from the dispatcher to exceed a standard limit over posted and that permission can be rescinded in mid pursuit.

So

If the officer was driving 110 miles per hour to a domestic disturbance with the prior approval required, and the suspect in the call was found to be acting in a dangerous manner that showed no regard for human life - then yeah they too could be indicted with 2nd degree murder. Convicted? who knows but indicted yes.

Wouldn't the dispatcher who allowed him to go 100MPH plus without knowing there was a box in the middle of the road be just as culpable?

#36 Murph

Murph

Joe Cool

• HUDDLER
  • 3,891 posts
  • LocationRound about here

Posted 11 March 2009 - 06:32 PM

you cannot swerve around things at 100mph. Not on street tires, not in a road boat police cruiser.

As the proud owner of a Crown Vic Sport model (the closest thing you can get on a car lot to the P71 police car), I fully disagree with that statement. Assuming the road is dry and the tires are not really worn too much.

How I know that is none of your concern. :P

#37 engine9

engine9

shoota muhfukkaina minute

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 06:35 PM

I'm not sure you can call yourself Joe Cool and drive such an old-man mobile.

#38 Murph

Murph

Joe Cool

• HUDDLER
  • 3,891 posts
  • LocationRound about here

Posted 11 March 2009 - 06:43 PM

What if I installed nitrous?

#39 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• HUDDLER
  • 22,927 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 07:08 PM

Then you would be driving while high.

#40 engine9

engine9

shoota muhfukkaina minute

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 07:54 PM

Then you would be driving while high.

would it be appropriate for police to run him down at speeds of over 100mph?

#41 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• HUDDLER
  • 22,927 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 07:54 PM

Why? He'd be doing 15 MPH and thinking he was doing 100, the crossing guard would take him down.

#42 dimbee

dimbee

Rabble Rouser

• HUDDLER
  • 7,884 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 08:11 PM

To me, this shows that this police officer has not been trained well enough in high speed pursuit.

#43 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,734 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 11 March 2009 - 08:14 PM

To me, this shows that this police officer has not been trained well enough in high speed pursuit.

Which is yet another reason this guy shouldn't be charged with murder...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.