National Cam haters haven't watch Panthers

• Please log in to reply
212 replies to this topic

#1 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,476 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:32 PM

Every sport news site has someone on the Cam ain't ready bandwagon. Clearly the haven't followed our team in the past.

Cam missed OTAs and most of the standard prep time heading into a season. He is raw and unpolished. HOWEVER...

We have yet to see someone in consideration for a starting job at QB have as productive of a preseason as Cam going back to the 2009 preseason.

Cam's preseason in 2010 > 2010 Moore, 2010 Clausen, 2009 Jake

Passing TD? check
Rushing TD? check
No turnovers? check

#2 SgtJoo

SgtJoo

Reppin that Bull City

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,660 posts
  • LocationDurham, NC

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:33 PM

Posted Image

#3 ncbobcat

ncbobcat

Beer Enthusiast

• HUDDLER
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:37 PM

Add Clark Judge to that list, he says by starting Newton he "could" become Ryan Leaf. However, the organization is scared not to start him because of the revenue hit it would take by sitting him.

Edit: Link-- I know people will be asking...

http://clarkjudge.bl...384866/31692335

Edited by ncbobcat, 02 September 2011 - 12:41 PM.

#4 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 40,175 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:39 PM

Not to be a downer, but preseason production doesn't really mean much.

#5 Gipetto

Gipetto

SWAG SONIC

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:39 PM

Clark Judge? who the fug is Clark Judge

#6 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,476 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:42 PM

Not to be a downer, but preseason production doesn't really mean much.

really?

They seemed to provide some pretty good insight if you ask me about QB play......

2008 - decent preseason play from starter - saw that in the regular season
2009 - bad QB play from starter in preseason - saw that in regular season
2010 - bad QB play from both who could possibly start - saw that in regular season

Production/play from that spot in recent years here has been an indicator of sorts IMO. Ain't the end all be all...no.

Edited by CRA, 02 September 2011 - 12:45 PM.

#7 Cracka McNasty

Cracka McNasty

WWNPHD?

• HUDDLER
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:44 PM

really?

They seemed to provide some pretty good insight if you ask me about QB play......

didn't we go 12-4 in 08?

#8 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,476 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:47 PM

Add Clark Judge to that list, he says by starting Newton he "could" become Ryan Leaf. However, the organization is scared not to start him because of the revenue hit it would take by sitting him.

Edit: Link-- I know people will be asking...

http://clarkjudge.bl...384866/31692335

that is another thing I don't get...pimping the revenue hit if we sat him for half a season be the reason he gets the job. It ain't like BOA looked like the Jags stadium.....despite being the worst team in the NFL last year.

#9 TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal

• TROLLOLOL
  • 12,418 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:47 PM

SO because he threw a TD, rushed for a TD, and didn't throw a pick and "outperformed" a terrible Moore, a terrible Jim, and a terrible Jake, he's ready?

That seems like a bad way to judge someone.

"Yeah, he's better than whatever poo we've had in the past, must be ready by NFL standards"

What about his footwork, his reads, his mechanics, his completions, etc.

No one wants to say it but if Cam wasn't looking to run, he would have hit Smitty on the crossing route right in front of his face. If Cam truly understood the playbook and his progressions, he would have known Smitty was crossing his face into the open zone and should have hit him in stride.

Great run, but if he doesn't understand the play design of these "vanilla" plays, it doesn't bode well. This was a major criticism of him coming in and it holds up.

#10 ncbobcat

ncbobcat

Beer Enthusiast

• HUDDLER
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:48 PM

I'm not even saying Cam will be a Ryan Leaf, though outside of the Leaf comparison, I do agree with the gist of his article. The Leaf comparison is taking it a bit far. If Cam does falter, I doubt he implodes like Ryan. That was the all-time melt down jobs...EVER. Come to find out he had a brain tumor some years later that contibuted to his mental instability.

Edited by ncbobcat, 02 September 2011 - 12:52 PM.

#11 Swarly

Swarly

MichaelJordanLaughing.gif

• HUDDLER
  • 4,221 posts

Lol he's not ready. Everyone knew this coming in. Is he better than what we have? Obviously. He still has a lot to work on and using one drive in a meaningless 4th preseason game as a reference is a joke. Did people forget how bad he was in the other preseason games passing the ball?

Just be real, folks. Cam has shown flashes of potential(that's all I'm asking for in his first year) and looks to be coming along nicely, but as I said he needs to work on a lot of stuff.

If we had a veteran that wasn't fuging terrible we'd sit Cam and let him learn/improve. In our situation right now though, it's best he starts.

Edited by kennypowers30, 02 September 2011 - 12:51 PM.

#12 chef17

chef17

Senior Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • 3,503 posts

Maybe it's just me but that logic fails. Playing better than our QBs the past two years (which you just said was bad) doesn't equate to ready. I'm not saying Cam is or isn't ready, just that your logic doesn't make sense.

#13 ncbobcat

ncbobcat

Beer Enthusiast

• HUDDLER
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:50 PM

that is another thing I don't get...pimping the revenue hit if we sat him for half a season be the reason he gets the job. It ain't like BOA looked like the Jags stadium.....despite being the worst team in the NFL last year.

Read the article, man. Not my words...their his. That's the very reason why I linked it, so not to be accused of 'hate'n yo'.

#14 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,476 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:50 PM

SO because he threw a TD, rushed for a TD, and didn't throw a pick and outperformed a terrible Moore, a terrible Jim, and a terrible Jake, he's ready?

That seems like a bad way to judge someone.

"Yeah, he's better than whatever poo we've had in the past, must be ready by NFL standards"

What about his footwork, his reads, his mechanics, his completions, etc.

No one wants to say it but if Cam wasn't looking to run, he would have hit Smitty on the crossing route right in front of his face. If Cam truly understood the playbook and his progressions, he would have known Smitty was crossing his face into the open zone and should have hit him in stride.

Great run, but if he doesn't understand the play design of these "vanilla" plays, it doesn't bode well. This was a major criticism of him coming in and it holds up.

Didn't say Cam was ready.

Said those in the national media haven't paid attention to how bad our preseason QB play has been in recent history. They are acting like Cam's performance is a reason to be concerned......my point is it shows no reason to be more concerned than prior years. If anything, gives a reason for optimism when looking big picture at the season.

I got no problem w/ Cam not hitting Smitty on that route. Smitty has proven his YAC magic ain't what it was of years past. I will take Cam running w/ a lead blocker like Smith any day in open space.......vs Smitty at this stage of his career on his own........THAT is something you are overlooking. Have to come to the realization Cam is not a traditional QB. Can't apply what Clausen would have to do in a scenario and claim that is always the smart thing for Cam to do.

Edited by CRA, 02 September 2011 - 12:53 PM.

#15 TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal

• TROLLOLOL
  • 12,418 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:53 PM

I got no problem w/ Cam not hitting Smitty on that route. Smitty has proven his YAC magic ain't what it was of years past. I will take Cam running w/ a lead blocker like Smith any day in open space.......vs Smitty at this stage of his career on his own.

:lol: Okay

Whatever makes you more comfortable.

So are you saying he's a run first QB and that's what you want him to be?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com