National Cam haters haven't watch Panthers

• Please log in to reply
212 replies to this topic

#46 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 23,860 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:23 PM

If we could be in the film room today, you think they are going to say, "Okay guys, Steve looked pumped, lets move on from this play..."

or are they going to actually break down the play and tell Cam what he should have done, which is stay in the pocket and deliver the pass to a wide open wide receiver.

I think the staff will be fine w/ Cam choosing to run. Like I said, who is playing QB impacts what should or shouldn't be done. Play can develope the same for different Qbs.....what they should do isn't always the same.

You know that. But it doesn't suit your arguement.

#47 TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal

• TROLLOLOL
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,418 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:23 PM

So he got 19 running and we would have gotten at least 19 throwing, considering Cam didn't' do anything special with his run yet he had to take an extra hit doing it.

What was the upside to him running?

#48 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 23,860 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:25 PM

Not meant to be either positive or negative regarding Newton, honestly. Just pointing out that comparing preseason stats from one year to another is kind of pointless.

Not so much comparing stats but play from the position. Would you feel worse about Cam if he didn't score a single TD....like the QBs of prior preseasons? I would think you would.

#49 footballisasport

footballisasport

• HUDDLER
  • 5,022 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:25 PM

Not what I meant. I meant preseason QB play has been so bad recently from our potential starters......that there is no reason to be so down on Cam heading into this season. Not if you have followed this team. We have limped into each season the past 2 years with QBs literally doing nothing in the preseason.

Cam has done some things which is a difference heading into the year.....reason for optimism. Not what the national media is spinning.

Cam is being downed because he was already marked to be a failure by folks like Clark Judge. Cam doesn't fit their image of an elite NFL QB, so they will find anything they can to place him in a negative light...

#50 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 23,860 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:27 PM

So he got 19 running and we would have gotten at least 19 throwing, considering Cam didn't' do anything special with his run yet he had to take an extra hit doing it.

could of been hit and not completed the throw...could of missed it. Cam went w/ the money play. Good option when your QB is Cam Newton.

Upside to him running is Newton is a beast. Newton also had a great lead blocker in Smith (again a beast blocker) Play had GREAT potential. Not every play that sets up great will go for the homerun EVERY time.

#51 TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal

• TROLLOLOL
  • 12,418 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:29 PM

Did you not see the pocket he was in? If he can't complete that 5 yard pass with no pressure on him and no defenders near the WR, he doesn't deserve to put on an NFL uniform.

You want him to be a runner because you know he's not an NFL passer.

He's a true run first QB no matter how much people argue it and it's not a recipe for success. That's all.

#52 footballisasport

footballisasport

• HUDDLER
  • 5,022 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:31 PM

TRD is a Dolphins fan, why are people arguing with him about our QB?

I'm a Jets and Gaints fan, but u don't seem me trying to spin everything ur top QBs do into something negative to make me feel better about them. I happen to love Mark Sanchez but I also love Cam, Vick, Aaron Rodgers and a few other QBs and root on them and their team. As long as the Jets are playing them, thou...:D

What TRD is showing is that you can put a negative spin on anything in order to cause a discussion. It seems more about TRD and Cam is just the vessel he uses to get the attention.

Edited by footballisasport, 02 September 2011 - 01:34 PM.

#53 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • 8,807 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:34 PM

how would we have gotten 19 when smith was lead blocking?

#54 TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal

• TROLLOLOL
  • 12,418 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:35 PM

Smith's block MAAAAYBE got him an extra yard, if that.

Worth it?

#55 44johnson

44johnson

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:38 PM

Worth it?

Smith was happy, Cam was happy, why can't you be happy?

#56 Kral

Kral

Internet Legend

• HUDDLER
  • 6,828 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:38 PM

It seems more about TRD and Cam is just the vessel he uses to get the attention.

I agree with this.

#57 Seltzer

Seltzer

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • LocationLKN

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:39 PM

Anybody that has watched Newton run and not been impressed has a much higher benchmark than any Defensive Coordinator in the NFL...

Not that I didn't know he could run, but wow. Imagine when they actually design plays for him to run. If he can develop into a decent passer, then he is totally worth the #1 pick.

I am not being a total homer. He is going to take at least a year to develop into a quality pocket passer, maybe more. But his dynamic running ability gives him a higher long-term ceiling than almost any QB in the league.

Teams will respect his running ability or suffer. And that will make his transition as a passer easier. Cam is not going to get knocked-out after one hit a la Vick. He is going to have to learn to slide some, but we are talking a 6'5" 250 lb guy who can run like a gazelle.

Why did the Eagles take a chance on Vick after his incarceration? It certainly wasn't b/c he was a proven pocket passer. He has certainly gotten better since his ATL days, but Vick's ability to run still scares Defensive Coordinators the most, b/c the defense can cover well and still get gashed for 20+ yards. It's demoralizing.

We've been there in the past against Vick. Hopefully Newton will bring that same ability. Newton, as Rivera has pointed out, is not a savior, but he does represent an opportunity for the Panthers to have a dynamic presence at QB and a formidible offense for years to come once he develops.

#58 Kral

Kral

Internet Legend

• HUDDLER
  • 6,828 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:39 PM

Smith was happy, Cam was happy, why can't you be happy?

TheRealDeal obviously knows more about football than you, me, or anyone in the Panthers organization.

#59 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 23,860 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:40 PM

Worth it?

lol...you are only acknowledging the impact of what Smith did at the point of contact. Smith's role as a blocker and impact started much sooner than when he made impact with a Steeler.

#60 TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal

• TROLLOLOL
  • 12,418 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:40 PM

I have a big picture view and want what's best for the Panthers for 10-15 years.

I'm not blinded by short term "excitement"

I want a proven winner that will compete year in and year out, not one drive here and there that give me false hope.

That to me is a simple play, simple read, etc and he chose to run. I don't know how hard it is or if it's even possible to break that habit but it needs to be done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.