Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pantherman

Panthers pickup former Cowboys CB Josh Thomas.

77 posts in this topic

the guy sounds like he could be a starter with some good coaching and experience. I think Ron Meeks will be a great guy to coach him and help develop him.

"Just cause you got a head like bullet don't make you a big shot". He puts you in the mind of former Panther Ricky Manning, Jr., if he got beat up.

372583.jpg

That's not enough.

Willie Green is out of retirement?

I certainly don't see him as an upgrade. I'm not even sure he's better than CJ Wilson

He should be a very solid dimeback immediately and work his way up. What little research I did on him suggests that he fits into the cover-2 scheme more which is right up Meeks' alley. He isn't our solution for a #2 corner, but being a rookie is just adding weapons to our arsenal moving forward. If we can lock in a #2 corner, all of a sudden our DB situation goes from an achilles to a solid unit.

Gamble

CB acquired by trade

Captain

Thomas

Word is, Hurney is going to convert him to a Kicker.

To those wondering why he got cut by Dallas even given their questions at corner, it was likely due to money. Newman, and Jenkins make too much money and they knew he wasn't doing to be in the rotation before a guy like Scandrick as well.

I like the pick up, did it blow me away, no; though it did seem like a better addition than our other DB's at the nickel, dime spots.

Not to mention my Madden team looks a bit better at the DB spot too, 88 speed, 67 man, 81 zone, 79 press. Oh, also Brandon Hogan on the virtual grid-iron is a beast he's my #2.

Some highlights so far (I asked if he under-performed or was simply a roster spot causality):

"He didn't really underperform at all. Good young player with a lot of upside...we tried to sneak him through to the practice squad but looks like your scouts were paying attention.

I'll definitely be watching him in Carolina this year. I think you guys got a good one on your hands - be excited!"

"I'm not sure if he "underperformed" because I don't think the expectation were too high. What he didn't do was stand out enough to force the Cowboys to keep him on their roster.

FWIW, one local guy (Matt Mosley) tweeted and said the Cowboys "were sick" they couldn't sneak Thomas onto their practice squad."

"Yeah, I would have loved to keep Josh Thomas around for at least a whole off-season, because he really looks like he has the physical skills and the temperment to be an NFL CB. But he's not ready. If the Cowboys thought they could take him active to the game, there's a good chance he'd be on the 53 instead of either Ball or McCann."

"Thomas was one of my pet cats this year, so I obviously don't like losing him. I think he's a tough, physical player who should at least be a quality nickel cornerback and a good special teams player. Lacks speed. That's the big drawback. But he loves contact.

He had the misfortune of getting hurt at the wrong time and lost out in the numbers game. But of all the players we cut he's the one I most wish we'd kept."

Nice job.