• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#16 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• ALL-PRO
  • 12,695 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 12:50 PM

Browns rookie season = 22 tackles, 2.5 sacks, 7 hits, 13 pressures, 14 defensive stops in 401 snaps
Selvies rookie season = 21 tackles, 1.5 sacks, 4 hits, 5 pressures, 9 defensive stops in 318 snaps

Already better than Brown? Based on what...?

Brown had 73 more snaps.

#17 Urrymonster

Urrymonster

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 12:50 PM

Because Brown sucks, Selvie is gonna be like the next f***ing Peppers

Great talking to you...

#18 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 12:51 PM

Browns rookie season = 22 tackles, 2.5 sacks, 7 hits, 13 pressures, 14 defensive stops in 401 snaps
Selvies rookie season = 21 tackles, 1.5 sacks, 4 hits, 5 pressures, 9 defensive stops in 318 snaps

Already better than Brown? Based on what...?

Based on us cutting Brown and picking up Selvie

#19 Cyberjag

Cyberjag

• HUDDLER
  • 3,658 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 12:52 PM

And Brown would have been backup as well... so your comment is irrelevant.

If you aren't prepared to give a young guy 3 years to prove himself (typically what most borderline players are given) then why bring in an equally under-whelming young player rather than someone proven?

Just guessing here, but I figure that the established guys are out there weighing offers, while guys like Selvie, with potential, are subject to the waiver wire and don't get to pick and choose their spots. So you're going to hear about these sorts of signings first.

Obviously the staff felt that Brown just wasn't going to work in their scheme. So they released him. And they probably feel like Selvie might work, so they brought him in. It's not like they signed him to a multi-year contract, right?

#20 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 39,908 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 04 September 2011 - 12:54 PM

I remember checking on him his draft year. Had positive feelings about him then but haven't followed him much since.

#21 NCstoner420

NCstoner420

Dave's not here man

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 12:55 PM

I don't see the reason for this pickup after the Brown cut, both are undersized defensive ends who get lost during runs. We could have just kept Brown, who at this point, has more talent. I guess time will tell...

#22 Urrymonster

Urrymonster

• HUDDLER
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 12:56 PM

Brown had 73 more snaps.

Browns rookie season = 22 tackles (5.5%), 2.5 sacks (0.6%), 7 hits (1.7%), 13 pressures (3.2%), 14 defensive stops (3.5%) in 401 snaps
Selvies rookie season = 21 tackles (6.6%), 1.5 sacks (0.5%), 4 hits (1.3%), 5 pressures (1.6%), 9 defensive stops (2.8%) in 318 snaps

So it's easier for you to process.

#23 CardiacCats

CardiacCats

• HUDDLER
  • 3,384 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 12:57 PM

I'm pretty sure there was one year there at USF where Selvie was a badass

Just checked, his SO year he was a consensus AA and BE defensive player of the year, maybe he can return to that

#24 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 12:57 PM

I remember checking on him his draft year. Had positive feelings about him then but haven't followed him much since.

Nobody on this board has followed him since. some people go do a quick google search and try to form an opinion in less than 3 minutes of research to pretend they are some kind of know it all expert.

#25 Urrymonster

Urrymonster

• HUDDLER
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 12:59 PM

Just guessing here, but I figure that the established guys are out there weighing offers, while guys like Selvie, with potential, are subject to the waiver wire and don't get to pick and choose their spots. So you're going to hear about these sorts of signings first.

Obviously the staff felt that Brown just wasn't going to work in their scheme. So they released him. And they probably feel like Selvie might work, so they brought him in. It's not like they signed him to a multi-year contract, right?

Completely understand that, I just don't understand replacing Brown with a clone who has done very little. Might as well hang onto the guy who has done a little more until one of those vets are signed.

#26 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• ALL-PRO
  • 12,695 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 12:59 PM

Browns rookie season = 22 tackles (5.5%), 2.5 sacks (0.6%), 7 hits (1.7%), 13 pressures (3.2%), 14 defensive stops (3.5%) in 401 snaps
Selvies rookie season = 21 tackles (6.6%), 1.5 sacks (0.5%), 4 hits (1.3%), 5 pressures (1.6%), 9 defensive stops (2.8%) in 318 snaps

So it's easier for you to process.

Ok well Brown had Peppers on the other end. ;)

#27 Cyberjag

Cyberjag

• HUDDLER
  • 3,658 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 01:03 PM

Completely understand that, I just don't understand replacing Brown with a clone who has done very little. Might as well hang onto the guy who has done a little more until one of those vets are signed.

Well, if you're pretty sure one guy isn't going to work, and you think that another guy might, even if he hasn't shown much either, then maybe you take a chance on the other guy. Doesn't cost much, right?

#28 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 01:04 PM

Wasn't Selvie a 3-4 DE? If so, comparing him to Brown is a bit silly. A 3-4 DE? He was about 40 pounds light.

Regardless, he slipped to the seventh round after having a mediocre senior campaign. WHo know.

#29 Urrymonster

Urrymonster

• HUDDLER
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 01:05 PM

Wasn't Selvie a 3-4 DE? If so, comparing him to Brown is a bit silly. A 3-4 DE? He was about 40 pounds light.

Regardless, he slipped to the seventh round after having a mediocre senior campaign. WHo know.

No, he only played in their 4-3 sets

#30 rico6

rico6

Shit.

• HUDDLER
  • 6,691 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 01:05 PM

Solidest pick-up so far.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com