Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SCP

In-State College Tuition for Illegal Immigrants

But the means of delivery IS limited.

I happen to have personal experience with the process of selection for both medical and dental schools, and I can assure you that the number of spots available to students ARE indeed limited, so I think YOU are wrong.

the argument that the government does more for the upper half of society than the lower half.

subsidizing the construction of airports instead of egalitarian rail systems, wars to gain access to natural resources, economic intervention to open new markets, a government that caters almost exclusively to the upper classes. stuff like that.

hell, basic welfare is almost certainly just a means of keeping the unwashed masses from revolting.

So what's wrong with incentivizing someone being/becoming a productive citizen/business person? Doesn't one's work merit the government doing more to help them succeed; especially if they're going to be paying more back into the system that funded it in the first place?

all for your little racist ideology?

Grow up homie.

sure, it's relatively simple.

the less money a person makes the higher percentage of their money they have to spend to make it through the year.

a person making 25,000 dollars a year is almost certainly not going to be putting money into a savings account, for example, or investing it in the stock market. Almost everything they make they'll have to spend, be it in the form of rent, groceries, car payments, repairs, clothes, etc. State depending, of course, due to different tax laws and exemptions and what not, all of this is going to be taxed through sales tax.

now of course it's not that simple. state by state, tax codes are very different, blah blah blah. with regard to illegal immigrants, it's impossible to know just what percentage they're sending back to their families in their original countries, if any at all. still, in the grand scheme of things, a lower class person is almost certainly going to be taxed on a higher percentage of their money than a person in the upper class.

I know from first hand experience that undocumented workers send a large majority of their income back home to their families in their native country.

When I was a rep for Sherwin Williams in Myrtle Beach after college, there were paint contractors whose illegal employees lived together in one house. Sometimes 12 guys. One month, one guy would pay all the bills. The rest of the year, he'd send his pay home and it would be the next guys turn. Most these guys got paid under the table, so no taxes were paid. I could list 10 large contractors whose laborers did this.

So what's wrong with incentivizing someone being/becoming a productive citizen/business person?

nothing if you assume everyone starts off on a level playing field. of course that's a silly assumption to make.

also actively rewarding success is actively punishing failure.

Doesn't one's work merit the government doing more to help them succeed; especially if they're going to be paying more back into the system that funded it in the first place?

sure, if you're comfortable living in a plutocracy.

If they are getting paid under the table, thats the employers issue. When the employers pay the way they are supposed to, these people pay wage taxes. They pay taxes on what they buy. I am sure that some people choose to live outside the law, but we have people here that do that as well.

Shame on you for supporting a company that supports illegal immigration. You should turn in your conservative secret decoder ring for being such a hypocrite.

I like meritocracy better since the likes of Paris Hilton would be eliminated, but your Democrat friends are working hard to keep inheritance as a means of wealth accumulation to a minimum, so no worries. :)

I know from first hand experience that undocumented workers send a large majority of their income back home to their families in their native country.

When I was a rep for Sherwin Williams in Myrtle Beach after college, there were paint contractors whose illegal employees lived together in one house. Sometimes 12 guys. One month, one guy would pay all the bills. The rest of the year, he'd send his pay home and it would be the next guys turn. Most these guys got paid under the table, so no taxes were paid. I could list 10 large contractors whose laborers did this.

you're assuming:

1. rent is their only expense

2. payroll tax is the only tax to be avoided

3. your anecdote has merit

all of these things are assuredly false.

If they are getting paid under the table, thats the employers issue. When the employers pay the way they are supposed to, these people pay wage taxes. They pay taxes on what they buy. I am sure that some people choose to live outside the law, but we have people here that do that as well.

Shame on you for supporting a company that supports illegal immigration. You should turn in your conservative secret decoder ring for being such a hypocrite.

No longer work there. But it sure was eye opening to see how many people use undocumented workers.

I don't feel one ounce of sorrow for an illegal immigrant trying to get something else for free. We already take care of them for free in our hospitals. The money they save on health care, they can use for college tuition.

where do you think the money comes to pay for emergency room visits for people without insurance?

hint: it's something illegal immigrants pay