• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#31 Panther'sBigD

Panther'sBigD

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 10:49 AM

Once they reach the age of majority (18 in the US) they cease to be able to hide behind the fact that their parents brought them here and they themselves become criminals. They are here illegally and should be deported as soon as they identify themselves as such.

I don't believe that ANYONE should be allowed to attend a institution of higher learning whether it be ECPI, CPCC, UNC, or Harvard if they are not residents of this country or have the appropriate immigration documents. What they pay is irrelevant.

Some of them have spent the majority of their life here. Trying being told to 'go back where you came from' when you have no real memory of where that is.

#32 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,738 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:03 AM

Hey we all know how great the Liberia project worked after the Civil War. Sending freed slaves "back" to Africa sure worked great, I am sure it was like they never left the jungle....

#33 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 19,078 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:08 AM

Fiz, I don't give a poo if they are living in the state. They are not citizens. And I don't care if they go to college. By all means, go, better yourself. But, pay the out of state tuition rate. If I move to Alabama tomorrow and get a job and pay taxes, can I get the in-state tuition for UofA this fall as a South Carloina resident? No. I'd have to move to Alabama and become a resident of that state or set up a false residency, which is wrong. Why should somebody that is here illegally get that benefit?

#34 engine9

engine9

shoota muhfukkaina minute

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:20 AM

furthermore migrant laborers pay tax on a higher percentage of their income than do legal laborers. from that perspective they deserve government subsidized services more than anyone!

Elaborate por favor.

#35 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 10,809 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:21 AM

And I don't care if they go to college. By all means, go, better yourself. But, pay the out of state tuition rate.

the entire thing you're upset about is the difference in amount they pay? you're not against them being here, you're not against them going to school k-12, you're not against them going to college. you just want them to pay more?

the only thing that making people living in a state pay out of state tuition does is unnecessarily burden them. since maintaining good grades and being a good student is part of the path to citizenship, you're unnecessarily burdening their legalization process and essentially making it more expensive all because of a decision the student didn't make. all for your little racist ideology?

take it a step further. taking away in state tuition takes away incentives to go to in state colleges. do you think the universities would be in favor of that?

If I move to Alabama tomorrow and get a job and pay taxes, can I get the in-state tuition for UofA this fall as a South Carloina resident? No.

if you were in SC originally and paid taxes for 2008 then yes you would.

#36 Inimicus

Inimicus

Life is better in a kayak

• HUDDLER
  • 6,000 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:25 AM

so if a child is one year old when they're brought into this country through no fault of their own, are completely americanized, pay into the system, are intelligent, speak perfect english, and want to further their education in an effort to become a naturalized citizen, which if you had read what the dream act is actually for you'd understand, too bad?

In a word... yes.
I don't care if they were born on one side of the border and were handed to a doctor standing in this country to have their ass spanked. No citizenship or legal papers no education. If they want to become a naturalized citizen of this country I will welcome them with open arms once they follow immigration procedures and obtain proper documentation.

the dream act stipulates that they get in state tuition because they're trying to become a citizen. if they stop being a student, they lose that path. if they complete their degree and attain that citizenship, in retrospect wasn't it worth it?

No
Not if it provides ILLEGAL immigrants a way to circumvent the proper methods of immigration.

do you support them getting free food, housing, clothing, and job training, plus at the least HEAVILY subsidized education (far more than simple in state tuition, with the exception of states like georgia, florida, california etc) if they choose to become a soldier for three years in an effort to become a naturalized citizen? seems like that would be a much larger financial drain.

Absolutely not.

#37 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 10,809 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:27 AM

Elaborate por favor.

sure, it's relatively simple.

the less money a person makes the higher percentage of their money they have to spend to make it through the year.

a person making 25,000 dollars a year is almost certainly not going to be putting money into a savings account, for example, or investing it in the stock market. Almost everything they make they'll have to spend, be it in the form of rent, groceries, car payments, repairs, clothes, etc. State depending, of course, due to different tax laws and exemptions and what not, all of this is going to be taxed through sales tax.

now of course it's not that simple. state by state, tax codes are very different, blah blah blah. with regard to illegal immigrants, it's impossible to know just what percentage they're sending back to their families in their original countries, if any at all. still, in the grand scheme of things, a lower class person is almost certainly going to be taxed on a higher percentage of their money than a person in the upper class.

#38 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 10,809 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:29 AM

If they want to become a naturalized citizen of this country I will welcome them with open arms once they follow immigration procedures and obtain proper documentation.

do you have any idea how difficult it is for people to become legal citizens of this country?

No
Not if it provides ILLEGAL immigrants a way to circumvent the proper methods of immigration.

but it would be a proper means of naturalization. that's the point of it. i don't think you understand what the dream act is.

Absolutely not.

well at least you're consistent.

#39 engine9

engine9

shoota muhfukkaina minute

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:41 AM

sure, it's relatively simple.

the less money a person makes the higher percentage of their money they have to spend to make it through the year.

a person making 25,000 dollars a year is almost certainly not going to be putting money into a savings account, for example, or investing it in the stock market. Almost everything they make they'll have to spend, be it in the form of rent, groceries, car payments, repairs, clothes, etc. State depending, of course, due to different tax laws and exemptions and what not, all of this is going to be taxed through sales tax.

now of course it's not that simple. state by state, tax codes are very different, blah blah blah. with regard to illegal immigrants, it's impossible to know just what percentage they're sending back to their families in their original countries, if any at all. still, in the grand scheme of things, a lower class person is almost certainly going to be taxed on a higher percentage of their money than a person in the upper class.

ah ok, I agree.

#40 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 10,809 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:44 AM

ah ok, I agree.

this is also the crux of the argument between progressive and regressive taxation, or flat/fair tax.

advocates of regressive taxation will claim that even though they're paying taxes on a lower percetage of their money, they individually are paying more money into the system than someone making 12 grande a year. it doesn't phase them, of course, that that line of thinking essentially punishes people for not being as relatively succesful as their economic betters.

#41 Epistaxis

Epistaxis

• HUDDLER
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:47 AM

I really struggle with everything related to the topic of immigration.

Interestingly, my wife, a legal immigrant and naturalized citizen, has no problem at all.
Her opinion is.....what part of "illegal" do you not understand?

I'm a bit more wishy washy.

While I would prefer a totally secure border and only legal immigration, this is seemingly impossible.
Esp. since employer's feet are not held to the fire, as they should be, since I think if you forced employers to follow the law you would see less illegal immigration.

*sigh*

I WANT people to further their educations whenever possible. I WANT people to have better lives. I'm not sure I want this to happen in place of legal residents, since we all know the limited nature of spots available for higher education.

#42 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 10,809 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:49 AM

since we all know the limited nature of spots available for higher education.

um what

#43 Epistaxis

Epistaxis

• HUDDLER
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:51 AM

Am I speaking Spanish?

#44 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 10,809 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:53 AM

Am I speaking Spanish?

do you think there is an epidemic of students in this country who have the grades and means of paying for it, whether it being in state tuition, student loans, pell grants, or living in states like florida, georgia, or california, that can't find a place in a university?

if you do i'd love to see something backing up your belief.

#45 Panther'sBigD

Panther'sBigD

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:57 AM

this is also the crux of the argument between progressive and regressive taxation, or flat/fair tax.

advocates of regressive taxation will claim that even though they're paying taxes on a lower percetage of their money, they individually are paying more money into the system than someone making 12 grande a year. it doesn't phase them, of course, that that line of thinking essentially punishes people for not being as relatively succesful as their economic betters.

But where is there justification for punishing someone who is one of those 'economic betters?'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.