Photo
- - - - -

In-State College Tuition for Illegal Immigrants

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
102 replies to this topic

#61 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,063 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 12:49 PM

I'm curious....since I don't know.....do illegal immigrants pay income tax?

How is that possible?

sales tax

illegal immigrants are also a large percentage of those that buy lottery tickets which are essentially a voluntary tax

#62 Panther'sBigD

Panther'sBigD

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 12:51 PM

nothing if you assume everyone starts off on a level playing field. of course that's a silly assumption to make.

Of course that's a silly assumption. It's also silly to believe that's necessary. How do you explain so many immigrants coming here w/o even knowing the language and becoming successful? Life is not fair; don't waste your time trying to make it that way.

also actively rewarding success is actively punishing failure.

I'm fine with that.

I think Plutocracy is a little disingenuous. We have better upward mobility in this country than in most of the rest of the world. Many people come here because their own country suffers under what's closer to being considered a plutocracy. No matter where you are in the world, the rich will always try to buy influence.

Edited by Panther'sBigD, 12 March 2009 - 12:58 PM.

#63 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 17,331 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 12:55 PM

:lol:

:lurk5: Ohh, this is a good one.

#64 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,621 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 12:57 PM

If there paying money to do so, even if it's at a reduced rate, then doesn't that help our system in America. Both short term and long term gains. They become citizens by paying there way through school and work in our work force as legal citizens. It helps someone who is going to be here one way or another and turns them into a citizen who will pay income tax plus state tax regardless. It looks like a win - win as far as I'm concerned.

#65 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 11,063 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 12:59 PM

It's also silly to believe that's necessary. How do you explain so many immigrants coming here w/o even knowing the language and becoming successful?

irrelevant when compared to the vastly superior numbers of immigrants that toil here and die young and poor.

I think Plutocracy is a little disingenuous. We have better upward mobility in this country than in most of the rest of the world.

actually american social mobility is at its lowest point since the 1930s, and on par with iran.

#66 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 11,063 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 01:00 PM

It looks like a win - win as far as I'm concerned.

sure, but now think about this and apply it through the filter of a strict, borderline racist, ideologically stringent world view allergic to rational thought.

WHAT DO YOU THINK NOW

#67 Panther'sBigD

Panther'sBigD

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 01:01 PM

If this deal truly stipulates that they must be pursuing citizenship to get these tuition rates, I am for it. None of us is ever going to have it just as we'd like it. This seems like a fair compromise.

#68 Epistaxis

Epistaxis

• HUDDLER
  • 4,184 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 01:06 PM

sales tax

illegal immigrants are also a large percentage of those that buy lottery tickets which are essentially a voluntary tax

My understanding of the murky waters that make up our state and federal tax distributions is limited.

My understanding is BOTH income tax AND state sales taxes go to fund healthcare for those that can't pay. This makes sense, since we all know that both the fed and states have sliding, slush-type funds rather than strict requirements for certain dollars to fund certain things. They SAY that the lottery, for example, goes to fund education and the tolls go to the roads, but here in Illinois we know that isn't how it really works.

So to say that illegals pay as much as legal residents for medical services thru taxation is disingenuous.

#69 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,540 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 01:07 PM

If this deal truly stipulates that they must be pursuing citizenship to get these tuition rates, I am for it. None of us is ever going to have it just as we'd like it. This seems like a fair compromise.

Thats a reasonable conclusion.

#70 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 11,063 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 01:07 PM

So to say that illegals pay as much as legal residents for medical services thru taxation is disingenuous.

i never said that.

#71 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,621 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 01:10 PM

sure, but now think about this and apply it through the filter of a strict, borderline racist, ideologically stringent world view allergic to rational thought.

WHAT DO YOU THINK NOW

Well fiz, that's the difference between me and the world. I'm a rational person who isn't racist. So it's hard for me to think that way, but I would tend to think from that viewpoint, that it wouldn't be viewed as a good thing, even though it really is.

#72 Panther'sBigD

Panther'sBigD

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 01:11 PM

irrelevant when compared to the vastly superior numbers of immigrants that toil here and die young and poor.

Not really, their quality of life is still vastly better here than it is wherever they came from. Many die with a car, clothes on their back, years of living with indoor plumbing. Just because they don't own a mansion or wield ridiculous levels of political influence doesn't mean they didn't achieve some greater level of success by coming here.

actually american social mobility is at its lowest point since the 1930s, and on par with iran.

link?

#73 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 11,063 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 01:19 PM

Not really, their quality of life is still vastly better here than it is wherever they came from.

that's a gross generalization and you will find no evidence that it applies to a significant portion of the illegal immigrant population. actually many of them are quite literally slaves,

link?

http://www.washingto...id=opinionsbox1

appropriate pdfs are found in that article if you want to dig.

#74 Epistaxis

Epistaxis

• HUDDLER
  • 4,184 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 01:21 PM

I hope we get in to the BS myth of the disappearing middle class now.

Hint: they are disappearing, the pseudointellectual libs just don't tell you WHERE they went.

#75 Panther'sBigD

Panther'sBigD

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 01:39 PM

that's a gross generalization and you will find no evidence that it applies to a significant portion of the illegal immigrant population. actually many of them are quite literally slaves,

http://www.washingto...id=opinionsbox1

appropriate pdfs are found in that article if you want to dig.

Talk about gross generalizations! "For two years, federal prosecutors claim, Vargas, along with Cesar, Geovanni, Jose, Villhina and Ismael Navarrete held more than a dozen people as slaves on their property. They made them sleep in box trucks and shacks, charged them for food and showers, didn't pay them for picking produce and beat them if they tried to leave."

Doesn't sound like it to me. I understand this is not a completely isolated case, but it's not an epidemic. I can walk out onto South Blvd and see two dozen illegals driving brand new F-150s.

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com