Photo
- - - - -

Do you think some conferences are under pressure to "let" a scrub team win?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,239 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 14 March 2009 - 03:23 PM

Exhibit A. The A10. Xavier might be the only team going.
Well looky here. Dusquene vs Temple. Now they get 2.
Big 12
SEC
Butler loses to Clev State.
Alot of these conferences were only going to get one. Just looks interesting to me....

#2 tarheelblue89

tarheelblue89

More u spend, More u win

• HUDDLER
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 04:44 PM

I actually think that Temple or Dayton had a good chance of getting in no matter if they won the tourny or not.

As a Butler fan I am really happy that Cleveland St. won the conference tourny, they can easily pull off a upset in the first round.

We've really seen this in the MVC, where if one team is going to get in no matter what, they would not win the conference tourny. Not saying that they throw the game but it wouldn't end their season if they lost.

#3 DoWorkBson

DoWorkBson

Hopped up out the bed

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 04:58 PM

Maybe they take the approach of I really dont care about the conference tourney if they are already in like Roy Williams claims. That way when they blow it they can shrug it off and move on. Seems cowardly to me but w/e lol

#4 mantal

mantal

• HUDDLER
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 05:16 PM

Maybe they take the approach of I really dont care about the conference tourney if they are already in like Roy Williams claims. That way when they blow it they can shrug it off and move on. Seems cowardly to me but w/e lol

So you would want to risk your Duke players being injured and fatigued by the conference tourney when you are favored by most to win it all in the big tourney? Dumbass... I'm kinda glad they lost. Gives them a little taste before they begin the end acc tourney for the national championship...

Edited by Mintal, 14 March 2009 - 06:36 PM.

#5 Boltergeist

Boltergeist

Unicorns! Show ponies! Where's the beef!?

• HUDDLER
  • 6,174 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 05:51 PM

Exhibit A. The A10. Xavier might be the only team going.
Well looky here. Duquesne vs Temple. Now they get 2.

Duquesne's kind of a surprise, but they've earned it. They had to beat a Rhody team that still had their own dreams. If the A10 had an agenda to get a team in, Rhode Island would've been a better candidate than Duquesne.

Big 12

Baylor was a ranked team early in the season, but just fell apart in conference play. They may just be playing to their talent level now.

SEC

I just don't know what to say here. LSU regressed of late, and other than that, there's virtually no difference from #2 to #8.

Butler loses to Clev State.

Sure it was a long range buzzer beater, but Cleveland St. won in the Carrier Dome this year. And they have a good coach in Waters - who laid the foundation for that Elite 8 Kent team.

Plus with all conference tourneys, familiarity can be a great equalizer.

#6 DoWorkBson

DoWorkBson

Hopped up out the bed

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 06:15 PM

It was a little jab at the comment he made either last year or the year before saying he could care less about the conference tourney, dont be so sensitive about a loss if it is as you say indeed meaningless. Nothing to do with Lawson playing or not playing this year, just seems like a built in excuse when you are supposed to win but you dont. Obviously without Lawson UNC is a different team and very much on an equal level with the rest of the ACC. And you should be glad that you lost because without Lawson I have no doubt Duke would have kicked the poo out of UNC tomorrow.

#7 mantal

mantal

• HUDDLER
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 06:53 PM

No, I went back and read it. You called Roy Williams cowardly, pure and simple. While your coach takes a year off and comes back to petition the NCAA to remove the losses from what his coaches and his team has so to make his coaching record look better, for a win/loss percentage! No, that doesn't work for me... :lol:

#8 DoWorkBson

DoWorkBson

Hopped up out the bed

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 06:58 PM

I never said I didnt call him that just saying I wasnt making the comment in reference to Lawson playing this year. Although he does have a history of sitting out with seemingly minor injuries. And dont get all upset, by history I mean it happened last year as well. And why should wins and losses count against a coach that didnt coach? sorry he had an operation on his back and was unable to even sit on the sidelines. He gets more from less every year that he has a bad team. who is to say that poor excuse for a team wouldnt have won twice as many games as they did without him?

#9 mantal

mantal

• HUDDLER
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:25 PM

I never said I didnt call him that just saying I wasnt making the comment in reference to Lawson playing this year. Although he does have a history of sitting out with seemingly minor injuries. And dont get all upset, by history I mean it happened last year as well. And why should wins and losses count against a coach that didnt coach? sorry he had an operation on his back and was unable to even sit on the sidelines. He gets more from less every year that he has a bad team. who is to say that poor excuse for a team wouldnt have won twice as many games as they did without him?

I'm not getting upset, just not letting you run freestyle making little snide comments to belittle the competition and I would likely do the same if you were doing it against another team, but of course you're not. Lawson has been injured. I understand that his toe still has full bruises and pain about it and frankly it looks bad for the NCAA tournament, he cannot be effective on the court. I personally have off and on Gout on my big toe and you may say it's just a big toe, but f*cking believe me, you can barely walk, much less run...

The only comment I will make on Mike's little back problem is that I'm quite certain that no other coach in the NCAA, none, would have the balls to throw his his coaches and team under the bus to save his personal record, think about it...

#10 DoWorkBson

DoWorkBson

Hopped up out the bed

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:45 PM

Just explain to me how he threw his team under the bus. I was only 10 or 11 at the time so more then likely I dont know the whole story. But as far as I know he had sugery on his BACK! thats a pretty major deal. Obviously I am not going to take your word on the situation as you hate the man. Cant say I blame you, if he coached the heels I would hate him also.

Lets change subjects and talk about something everyone can agree on. How bad the Big Ten sucks and the fact that they are going to get more teams in then the ACC and potentially the Big East and how big of a joke that is.

#11 mantal

mantal

• HUDDLER
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:48 PM

You just don't get it and I never expected you to, so no problem, we'll move on...

#12 DoWorkBson

DoWorkBson

Hopped up out the bed

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:50 PM

No i am asking you to explain what you mean, but you cant because there is no point there except you want to make a man that had a back operation out to be an asshole

#13 mantal

mantal

• HUDDLER
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 08:04 PM

No i am asking you to explain what you mean, but you cant because there is no point there except you want to make a man that had a back operation out to be an asshole

Not worth arguing with you, it's a lesson in futility. There's nothing that I can say that will sway you in any way. Just repeating that no other coach in the NCAA has ever or would ever do what he did. I know the man had back surgery and I sympathize, I had worse than that, but I took responsibility for things that happened in my absence by people I had personally picked to handle things. I didn't throw them under the bus, I took it and moved on...

That's what I'm saying, I had the same situation. When you have, get back to me...

#14 DoWorkBson

DoWorkBson

Hopped up out the bed

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 08:12 PM

he didnt coach why should the losses go on his record or the wins. Now if he protested saying to take the losses off his record and not the wins then thats a different story. Did the poo seasons UNC had a few season after Dean retired count against him. Of course not. What if after 2 years he decided he wanted to come back. Should he be responsible for those season. Just like you being out of work, if your replacement did a pooty job that should have no barring on you or you keeping your job. In fact it would just make whoever you may be working with/for appreciate you all the more.

PS did Lute Olsen get credit for wins or losses last year when he took a leave of absence? I doubt it.

Edited by DoWorkBson, 14 March 2009 - 08:15 PM.

#15 mantal

mantal

• HUDDLER
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 08:18 PM

he didnt coach why should the losses go on his record or the wins. Now if he protested saying to take the losses off his record and not the wins then thats a different story. Did the poo seasons UNC had a few season after Dean retired count against him. Of course not. What if after 2 years he decided he wanted to come back. Should he be responsible for those season. Just like you being out of work, if your replacement did a pooty job that should have no barring on you or you keeping your job. In fact it would just make whoever you may be working with/for appreciate you all the more.

PS did Lute Olsen get credit for wins or losses last year when he took a leave of absence? I doubt it.

:lol: Of course Dean's record was not affected after he RETIRED. And yes, Lutes losses when he took a leave of absence are on his record. Bye, just bye... :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.