Photo
- - - - -

Duke as a 1 seed?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#16 DoWorkBson

DoWorkBson

Hopped up out the bed

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 05:36 PM

If you have 3 teams in in UNC Pitt and UConn that leaves one spot left. Memphis only has 3 losses but two of the teams that beat them also played Duke, AND LOST! Xavier beat Memphis on the road then got smashed by Duke at home. Louisville only has one less loss one of which was a 30 some odd point loss to non tourney team and one was to Minn. at home. Mich. State is the product of a conference with 9 equally mediocre teams. Oklahoma has fallen off and lost their opening round game. Wake will have won neither the reg season or tourney title in the ACC something Duke would have done to put them in the discussion. Please dispute any of this. Im not saying they get in as the last number 1 because they deserve it, but because there is NO ONE left more impressive. .

like I said im NOT saying they deserve it necessarily because of what they have done and them being so great but because other teams have fallen on their faces. Its called opportunistic more so then it is deserving if that makes any sense

#17 DoWorkBson

DoWorkBson

Hopped up out the bed

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 05:39 PM

And I would say they could absolutly lose to a 16 seed in the first round. Because they have 0 inside presence and that is what always does lower seeds in. If they are not hitting jump shots then yeah they will lose, but if they get on a hot streak they could be in the Final Four. Just like about 50 other teams that will be in the tourney.

#18 Htar

Htar

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 05:42 PM

like I said im NOT saying they deserve it necessarily because of what they have done and them being so great but because other teams have fallen on their faces. Its called opportunistic more so then it is deserving if that makes any sense

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the selection committee give duke a 1 seed. If I were a duke fan, I don't know that I would want to tempt fate as potentially the first 1 seed ever to lose to a 16.

#19 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,721 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 05:43 PM

UNC, Pitt, Lville and the final number one will be between Duke and Memphis. If Duke wins tomorrow night they get it, if not they are a second seed.

#20 Htar

Htar

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 05:45 PM

I think the problem with duke getting it is the fact that they are going to jump teams ahead of them in ranking to do it, and that's bad form.

#21 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,721 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 05:45 PM

Mst had it but lost, Conn had it but lost (they could still get it, but I doubt it)
Oklahoma had a shot at it, but lost.
Now Duke has a shot at it.

That being the last number 1 seed.

#22 DoWorkBson

DoWorkBson

Hopped up out the bed

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 05:51 PM

Im worried now lol, they will get it an lose. If you think about it other then Henderson and E Williams the rest of Duke's team is probably Less athletic then any of the 16's will be. Atleast they would be part of history

#23 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,721 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 05:58 PM

Im worried now lol, they will get it an lose. If you think about it other then Henderson and E Williams the rest of Duke's team is probably Less athletic then any of the 16's will be. Atleast they would be part of history

Hopefully for duke fan's those wings and guards get hot and start and keep making those threes.

#24 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,883 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 06:31 PM

Im not saying it will be an easy game. Just making note that UNC will not be able to claim conference champs this year because according to the league that goes to the tourney winner.

Carolina is the regular season champion and will hang a banner for that. The conference tournaments haven't meant anything really since the NCAA expanded the NCAA tournament (except for those teams in leagues that don't usually get at large bids). If winning the ACC tournament was the only way to get into the REAL tournament then you can bet your ass Lawson would have played today.

Dook will probably end up getting beat tomorrow along with another early exit from the REAL tournament so they ain't hanging poo this year.

#25 DoWorkBson

DoWorkBson

Hopped up out the bed

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 06:53 PM

actually ACC is one of the few leagues that still awards the conference championship to the winner of the tournament instead of doing what makes sense and awarding it to the reg season champion

#26 mantal

mantal

• HUDDLER
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 06:55 PM

actually ACC is one of the few leagues that still awards the conference championship to the winner of the tournament instead of doing what makes sense and awarding it to the reg season champion

Wrong again, they award banners for both. I guess you've never been to Cameron...

#27 Brooklyn Bully

Brooklyn Bully

Sell it, Jerry

• HUDDLER
  • 9,455 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 06:56 PM

Too many teams in front of Duke to get it, no matter if they win tomorrow or not.

#28 DoWorkBson

DoWorkBson

Hopped up out the bed

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:02 PM

The team officially recognized as champion of the league is the winner of the tourney is my point. I am sure the school can hang a banner for 3rd place if they would like.

#29 DoWorkBson

DoWorkBson

Hopped up out the bed

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:03 PM

My point when I started this thread was that they should atleast be in the discussion. Sorry if my hatred for the Holes got in the way of that.

#30 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • 3,883 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:06 PM

Wrong again, they award banners for both. I guess you've never been to Cameron...

Correct. And honestly even though UNC holds the most ACC championships, I put more weight behind the regular season champs. Most people don't realize how much more important these tournaments use to be. It use to be that only the conference tournament champion went to the big dance. Now winning a conference tournament isn't so important unless you are a bubble team or a team in a mid major conference that wouldn't get an at large bid.

That said, I still would have liked for UNC to win it, but without Lawson I knew that would be a tall order.

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com