I almost picked up this guy off the waiver wire

#62 JakeFlake

JakeFlake

The King of Kings

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 09:22 PM

Supreme Court has rejected the appeal ... he will be executed soon.

#63 YoungPanthers89

YoungPanthers89

Lucy Snorebush

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,993 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 21 September 2011 - 09:25 PM

ugh

#64 JakeFlake

JakeFlake

The King of Kings

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 09:40 PM

He will die at about 11:15, CNN says.

#65 YoungPanthers89

YoungPanthers89

Lucy Snorebush

• HUDDLER
  • 10,993 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 21 September 2011 - 09:41 PM

Posted Image

#66 fitty76

fitty76

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts
  • LocationMint Hill

Posted 21 September 2011 - 10:09 PM

Damn shame...........so did you hear about what's going on with those Real Housewife of NJ?

Our society in a nutshell.

#67 Toolbox

Toolbox

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,654 posts
  • Locationnc

Posted 21 September 2011 - 10:28 PM

Life sucks and then you die.

#68 ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

Insane Racist Moron

• HUDDLER
  • 6,465 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 10:30 PM

Just for the purpose of comparison.....how many people were protesting the death of Super Whitey down in Texas today?

#69 Chimera

Chimera

Membrane

• HUDDLER
  • 10,786 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 10:36 PM

They interviewed victims mom. She said he shot 2 people that evening and they found that gun on him... No idea...

google....

In Troy's case, no murder weapon was ever found, and there's no material evidence linking him to the crime.

http://www.swp.ie/re...ate-murder/4860

August 1991 – Davis goes on trial. The jury is shown no physical evidence and the murder weapon is never found.

http://www.guardian....orgia-execution

Although the murder weapon was not recovered.....

http://en.wikipedia....Troy_Davis_case

The murder weapon was never found, and no physical evidence linked Davis to the crime.

http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz1YeHuHmZU

It would be helpful if more evidence and information from the original trial was available to the general public, but then again the case has always lacked physical evidence. No fingerprints. No videotape. No murder weapon.

http://yesbuthowever...emency-5001076/

No murder weapon was located, and no other physical evidence connected Davis to the murder.

http://www.usatoday....line/50498302/1

and no murder weapon, DNA evidence or fingerprints tie Davis to the crime.

http://www.theroot.c...-chance-hearing

Edited by googoodan, 21 September 2011 - 10:39 PM.

#70 Dpantherman

Dpantherman

certified pee-on

• HUDDLER
  • 26,473 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 10:36 PM

There are two issues here. The Death penalty in general and guilt vs. innocence.

#71 neverlosethefeeling

neverlosethefeeling

• HUDDLER
  • 3,339 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 10:41 PM

Just for the purpose of comparison.....how many people were protesting the death of Super Whitey down in Texas today?

Two completely different cases. The protests in this case do not have to come down to whether or not you believe in the death penalty. It's the application of the death penalty in this particular case, presumably amid such doubt. Nice try, though.

Consider this: Lawrence Brewer, James' Byrd's murderer and "Super Whitey" that you're referring to, said yesterday "As far as any regrets, no, I have no regrets. No, I'd do it all over again, to tell you the truth." Please try to convince anyone that the two cases should be viewed in the same light. Appeals to opinions about capital punishment not necessary.

There's a reason it's called the Matthew Shepard and James Byrd Jr. Hate Crime Prevention Act.

I know you're probably trying to make a point, whatever that may be, but you didn't succeed in anything but conflating two very different applications of the death penalty.

#72 Chimera

Chimera

Membrane

• HUDDLER
  • 10,786 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 10:43 PM

I don't support the death penalty, but even I would turn a blind eye to "Super Whitey," Ted Bundy, etc.
Doesn't mean I agree with it.

#73 ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

Insane Racist Moron

• HUDDLER
  • 6,465 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 10:52 PM

Two completely different cases. The protests in this case do not have to come down to whether or not you believe in the death penalty. It's the application of the death penalty in this particular case, presumably amid such doubt. Nice try, though.

Consider this: Lawrence Brewer, James' Byrd's murderer and "Super Whitey" that you're referring to, said yesterday "As far as any regrets, no, I have no regrets. No, I'd do it all over again, to tell you the truth." Please try to convince anyone that the two cases should be viewed in the same light. Appeals to opinions about capital punishment not necessary.

There's a reason it's called the Matthew Shepard and James Byrd Jr. Hate Crime Prevention Act.

I know you're probably trying to make a point, whatever that may be, but you didn't succeed in anything but conflating two very different applications of the death penalty.

Hate crimes lol......yeah, emotion makes it "worse"......

Anyway, if we could say that its worth it to leave scum like Brewer alive, then there would never have been a threat to a guy like Davis. Continually rationalizing the power of execution by saying "well this other asshole really deserved it" leads us to nights like tonight.

Don't know if that's an appeal to an opinion on capital punishment or not, but its what I'm gonna go with.

#74 cbarrier90

cbarrier90

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 11:14 PM

Sorry, I just don't think there is a sense of closure anytime someone is put to death for a crime. I'm no expert on the case itself, but what makes it worse is that there appeared to still be a reasonable doubt when it came to Davis' role in the crime.

It's just sad...

Edited by cbarrier90, 21 September 2011 - 11:16 PM.

#75 neverlosethefeeling

neverlosethefeeling

• HUDDLER
  • 3,339 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 11:19 PM

For argument's sake, whether or not anyone believes in the death penalty is irrelevant to what happened tonight. Currently, the penalty of capital punishment is a legally available sentence in capital muder cases in some states with Georgia being one of them. Trying to debate the justness of capital punishment itself is, as relates to Troy Davis, a mute (not moot) point.

To the extent that capital punishment is a legal remedy that was pursued and given in Troy Davis' case, the question isn't "should we use the death penalty?" rather it becomes "should we use the death penalty in cases where doubt is present?" I realize that instantiation of "doubt" is rather vague, so let me clarify. By doubt, I'm not referring to cases where the accused has openly admitted guilt completely uncoerced or where there is clear and convincing, substantive evidence (see: Lawrence Brewer) as to the guilt of the accused. By doubt I mean cases including, but not limited to that of Troy Davis, where the bulk of evidence is a reliance on eye-witness testimony and lacking any or all substantial scientific, forensic merit. To be honest, it's a shame that eye-witness testimony is so higly regarded in the USCJ system, because any psychologist worth their bachelor's degree will tell you that eye-witness testimony is so unreliable as to be laughable. Ever play the telephone game in 5th grade? Yeah, now you see what I mean.

Bring in the recantations of 7 out of 9 witnesses that were initially central to the conviction and you have a considerably more severe sense of "doubt."

There have even been jurors to come out and say if they knew during the trail what they know now, Davis would never have been convicted in the first place.

Edited by neverlosethefeeling, 21 September 2011 - 11:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com