Photo
- - - - -

Brandt: "Newton is the most impressive rookie QB I've seen come into the league"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#16 Double34Trouble28

Double34Trouble28

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 21 September 2011 - 11:42 PM

We are gonna need a convoy of bandwagons by week 8 or so.

#17 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

SUPPORTER

Posted 21 September 2011 - 11:47 PM

I've scouted thousands of rookie QBs after they throw for 900 yards in their first 2 weeks and DERP HERP DERP

#18 bbell21

bbell21

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 21 September 2011 - 11:54 PM

Met Gil they day he was at training camp doing his Sirius show, nice guy who knows a thing or two about football!

#19 Herbert The Love Bug

Herbert The Love Bug

Stripper Name: Bo Dangles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 22 September 2011 - 12:29 AM

Want real torture? Imagine Brandt & Lou Holtz together as analysts.

Worse than waterboarding.

I don't know if I have ever heard Brandt, but God, Lou Holtz makes me hit mute or change the channel as fast as humanly possible. It's like just spit or swallow man. Or just quit being on TV. You are too old for that.

#20 footballisasport

footballisasport

HUDDLER

Posted 22 September 2011 - 03:15 AM

Gil Brandt article on NFL.COM:

Read more: http://www.nfl.com/n...n-any-rookie-qb

So they are now admitting to us what they already knew about Cam, that he has very good work ethics and can lead his team...So why were they hanging so many question marks on Cam and using them as red flags?

#21 Jrock88

Jrock88

huddle vet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 22 September 2011 - 03:18 AM

:cam:

#22 footballisasport

footballisasport

HUDDLER

Posted 22 September 2011 - 03:18 AM

We are gonna need a convoy of bandwagons by week 8 or so.

Forget week 8, if the Panthers can manage to string 3 strong wins together before then, they might be allowed to run the country.:party:

#23 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

SUPPORTER

Posted 22 September 2011 - 04:45 AM

0-2 I remember another QB we had that threw up big numbers wonder what happened to him??

#24 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

The Yumbo of the Huddle

HUDDLER

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:14 AM

qft, unlike Charlie "don't call me Moe Howard" Casserly who clearly forgot to take his Metamucil the day he evaluated Cam.

http://blogs.nfl.com...-newton/http://

#25 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

Moderators

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:23 AM

0-2 I remember another QB we had that threw up big numbers wonder what happened to him??

Steve Beuerlein?

#26 tiger7_88

tiger7_88

old skool SWAG

SUPPORTER

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:40 AM

Another example of Newton's work habits can be traced back to when he first transferred to Auburn. In early 2010, he texted several of his new teammates, saying he would be working out every weekend if anyone wanted to join him. Initially, four guys showed. After four or five weeks, there were 40 players working out. His commitment helped Auburn win a national title.

I told many about this and things like it from close observation (Auburn alum, kid at Auburn, season ticket holder) many months ago, but I was accused by guys like TRD and his posse of being a homer. :P

Well, I guess technically they were right. But that didn't make me wrong. :lol:

#27 tiger7_88

tiger7_88

old skool SWAG

SUPPORTER

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:43 AM

Duh Brandt, we knew that and we haven't scouted 1000s of players. :lol:

Plenty of room on the Cam bandwagon for Gil.

Brandt was one of the very few who gave Cam a lot of props pre and post-draft.

#28 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

Moderators

Posted 22 September 2011 - 02:41 PM

Duh Brandt, we knew that and we haven't scouted 1000s of players. :lol:

Plenty of room on the Cam bandwagon for Gil.

he was riding it long before most in here were. the dude was one of the first big time scouts to jump on it. i posted this back in early january, but it was written in early december...

if you are familiar with Gil Brandt (very respected NFL talent evaluator) but he had some really encouraging things to say about him:

Longtime NFL personnel man Gil Brandt, now working as a draft consultant, called Newton "the most exciting player I can ever remember watching" and said the 6-foot-6, 250-pound quarterback has displayed all the physical skills necessary to be an NFL star.

"I am not an advocate of guys coming out of school early," Brandt said in a recent telephone interview. "But I think that if he does come out of school, I don't think there's any question he'll be selected in the first half of the first round (of the draft) unless there is something physically wrong with him."
Still, NFL quarterbacks can't make a living running the ball. In the second half of the season, as Auburn's opponents became more intent on stopping Newton in the running game, he passed more.

The results were encouraging. The junior has completed 67 percent of his passes for 2,589 yards and 28 touchdowns with only six interceptions.
"He has excellent accuracy," Brandt said. "I'm amazed at his accuracy whether it be 10 yards down field or 20 yards down field or more. He's got arm strength.

"There is no question he is physically ready."

Brandt said the only thing Newton doesn't have he can only get by staying in school for another season: experience.

After Newton and Auburn play Oregon in the BCS championship in Glendale, Ariz., on Jan. 10, he will have started a total of 14 college games.

"When I guy gets to around 30 games in college, that usually is when the light turns on," Brandt said.
Newton, of course, has said he'll think about the NFL after the BCS championship game.

The NFL, though, is already thinking about him.
"The sky's the limit for that kid," Brandt said.
http://nytimes.stats.com/cfb/story.asp?i=20101212151412113532008

i updated the link in the above article, btw.