81 replies to this topic

#61 thunderraiden

thunderraiden

Thunder God Member

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 05:35 PM

This is an irrelevant discussion. Those objecting to this decision have ever played football and it shows. You must go for 2pt because even with 4 mins left if there is a shot out, you have to put yourself in position to tie via putting yourself up by 7 points or tying if they score 2 TD's by scoring another 2-pt conversion should you score another TD.

Football when to go for 2points chart:

http://theredzone.or...rsionChart.aspx

it clearly says "GO FOR 2" when leading by 4 points.

Edited by thunderraiden, 25 September 2011 - 05:42 PM.

#62 Lord_Vader

Lord_Vader

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 05:36 PM

You are beating your head against a brick wall here. If he doesn't get it by now he never will. Going for 2 is the right call.

Right on Brother!

#63 Lord_Vader

Lord_Vader

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 05:39 PM

This is an irrelevant discussion. None of you have ever played football and it shows. You must go for 2pt because even with 4 mins left if there is a shot out, you have to put yourself in position to tie via putting yourself up by 7 points or tying if they score 2 TD's by scoring another 2-pt conversion should you score another TD.

NFL when to go for 2points chart:

http://theredzone.or...rsionChart.aspx

it clearly says "Decision" and it that position with rainy weather the decision is to GO FOR IT.

I have played and coached football at a high level and that is why I agree with you, You should say those of you who dsiagree with the decision for the 2 know nothing about football.:cornut:

#64 thunderraiden

thunderraiden

Thunder God Member

• HUDDLER
  • 2,678 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 05:41 PM

I have played and coached football at a high level and that is why I agree with you, You should say those of you who dsiagree with the decision for the 2 know nothing about football.:cornut:

fixed

#65 Jangler

Jangler

Its gonna be just like they say, them voices tell me so

• HUDDLER
  • 46,982 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 05:41 PM

still say "Why not?" is the best answer.

#66 Seamonk

Seamonk

kekekekekeke

• HUDDLER
  • 2,055 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Va

Posted 25 September 2011 - 05:46 PM

cuz we motherfuging can.

#67 Ruff

Ruff

Formerly Know As RufftownRepresent

• HUDDLER
  • 6,330 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 05:48 PM

two jax field goals tying it vs two jax field goals taking the lead

This.

Or, we get the ball back, and get in field goal range (which he sorta did), we kick the field goal, and go up by 9, which is two possessions, instead of 8.

#68 maddog

maddog

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 05:55 PM

I think this is the best answer considering time and all! I would give pie but I'm not there yet. You get props how is that?

#69 iluvdapanthersyo

iluvdapanthersyo

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 06:17 PM

There's really not much of a difference between a 4 point lead and a five point lead with as little time left in the game as there was. Why not give yourself a chance for a six point lead?

#70 brandon_87

brandon_87

ooh wee mayne he dat deal

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 06:21 PM

I still can't understand the benefit of being up 6 instead of 5

Really?

A td is 6, not 7..... Make them earn it

2 fg's are 6, if we were up 5 we lose....

Think before starting a thread

#71 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• HUDDLER
  • 17,014 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 06:23 PM

http://4.bp.blogspot...ciencechart.bmp

I've always wanted to create a better chart based on statistics. I might do it actually.

#72 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,353 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 25 September 2011 - 07:24 PM

Two reasons.....

1. Work on the Red Zone offense...which has struggled.

2. Being up by 6 vs. 5 is actually a bid benefit. There was about 3 min in the game. If Jax got a quick FG and got the onside kick, a long FG wins the game. The 2 pt would require a TD to beat us.

Not a big advantage, but nothing to really lose.

#73 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,447 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 07:52 PM

Thinking about it, its even money whether it helps or hurts us. But the coach didn't have 3-4 hours to think about it, he had to make a quick decision on the spot. He chose to be aggressive and go for it. It worked, and I commend him for it, even if it didn't really matter in the end.

#74 Cat'sGrowl

Cat'sGrowl

The Beast Lurks Once More

• HUDDLER
  • 7,113 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 07:58 PM

Two reasons.....

1. Work on the Red Zone offense...which has struggled.

2. Being up by 6 vs. 5 is actually a bid benefit. There was about 3 min in the game. If Jax got a quick FG and got the onside kick, a long FG wins the game. The 2 pt would require a TD to beat us.

Not a big advantage, but nothing to really lose.

Except that's not a more realistic scenario than Jax scoring a TD on us and going up by 3 instead of 2, meaning a FG wouldn't win the game for us. And to think that Rivera was using this opportunity to "practice" his offense has got to be the most ridiculous assumption I've heard. The game's on the line and he's worried about getting some extra reps for his offense in? No.

#75 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,447 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 08:16 PM

Except that's not a more realistic scenario than Jax scoring a TD on us and going up by 3 instead of 2, meaning a FG wouldn't win the game for us. And to think that Rivera was using this opportunity to "practice" his offense has got to be the most ridiculous assumption I've heard. The game's on the line and he's worried about getting some extra reps for his offense in? No.

Normally, you would be right.

But I think that in today's game, two fg's was a more realistic scenario. The combination of a very wet field, a rookie qb, and an inept Jacksonville passing attack made it unlikely that they would score a td. But they might be able to use their run game to get two fg's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.