Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chknwing

Julius Peppers, No Problem.

173 posts in this topic

man feelings get in the way logic. catsgrowl, ive noticed this with you numerous times. you gotta be female right?

Please highlight the part where i made any mention of Julius Peppers leaving.

Or are you making a ridiculous assumption?

Thought so.

In fact, I've said a couple times I'm glad we never gave him the huge contract that I didn't feel he was deserving of. That money rightfully went to Beason, who Peppers never at any point in his career, could hold a candlestick to Beason's level of dominance.

How about you don't ignore what the base of your post said...

which was "there was nothing to warrant that recognition for him. if he had never been a Panther you would have never listed him that high".

He has been an all pro and pro bowler the last 3 consecutive years (08,09,10). The last year being his best season of possibly his career (which he has also been recognized in).

How about you don't ignore what the base of your post said...

which was "there was nothing to warrant that recognition for him. if he had never been a Panther you would have never listed him that high".

He has been an all pro and pro bowler the last 3 consecutive years (08,09,10). The last year being his best season of possibly his career (which he has also been recognized in).

I've said already that Peppers has been either good, and on a couple occasions, great. But also as I've said, the legend that has been built for him around here is absurd. We've had people clamor to build a statue for him, suggest that he's a HoFer, when he just hasn't been THAT productive. Go compare his career to Michael Strahan's-and most importantly, what the topic was initially about, is he Top 5, and I say no. I listed a good bundle of guys I would take over Peppers. His potential was astronomical, but I don't let that sway me from the view that he never lived up to that potential. Some people are so focused on his measurables, that they don't focus on his production.

Edit: See what I mean? post after post about Pepper's being a "freak" or "an incredible athlete" but noone bothers to focus on how his performance as a DE measures up to other DE's around the league-and with the except of a few seasons-it isn't great.

Peppers is a freak, and he will be up for this game. Look for Cam to need all that scramble ability.

Peppers can be a very serious problem and you can bet he'll be jacked up for this game.

The good news is that Gross knows him better than he knows himself and can keep him contained. I'm sure Ron Meeks can make all kinds of suggestions on how to handle Peppers as well.

The last time we played Peppers, we had a QB who would turn tail and run the moment the play broke down, which is ABSOLUTELY the wrong thing to do against Peppers... This time we have a QB who is a bit of an athletic freak himself and will stand in the pocket and has the ability to scramble in a productive way when things break down.

We also have a coaching staff who is smart enough not to try to throw screen pass right over Peppers, that's his money play... not sure why you would EVER attempt that to the side of the field he's lined up on?

We also have weapons at TE and we make use of bubble screens, so we have the ability to get the ball out of Cam's hands fast.

All of these things, if executed correctly will go a long way in neutralizing the threat Peppers presents.

Peppers is probably the best de that has ever put on a Panther uniform. He is one of the top 5 in the league.

That being said, I am very happy with our defensive ends. Hardy was a steal as a 6 pick, and Charles Johnson has come into his own. Losing Peppers didn't really hurt us very much, if at all.

Peppers is probably the best de that has ever put on a Panther uniform. He is one of the top 5 in the league.

That being said, I am very happy with our defensive ends. Hardy was a steal as a 6 pick, and Charles Johnson has come into his own. Losing Peppers didn't really hurt us very much, if at all.

To be a Top 5 in the league, you actually have to play like it. You can't just be it because of the first part of your statement. This fanbase hasn't exactly seen many great DE's so I guess that's another reason why they overrate Peppers.

Also, FWIW, Reggie White is the greatest DE to ever put on a Panther's uniform. Obviously he didn't have his best days here, but still, to be correct on the technicalities. Although it appears we have a good many people here who would take Peppers over Reggie because, after all Peppers is a "freak"!!!

Peppers can be a very serious problem and you can bet he'll be jacked up for this game.

The good news is that Gross knows him better than he knows himself and can keep him contained. I'm sure Ron Meeks can make all kinds of suggestions on how to handle Peppers as well.

The last time we played Peppers, we had a QB who would turn tail and run the moment the play broke down, which is ABSOLUTELY the wrong thing to do against Peppers... This time we have a QB who is a bit of an athletic freak himself and will stand in the pocket and has the ability to scramble in a productive way when things break down.

We also have a coaching staff who is smart enough not to try to throw screen pass right over Peppers, that's his money play... not sure why you would EVER attempt that to the side of the field he's lined up on?

We also have weapons at TE and we make use of bubble screens, so we have the ability to get the ball out of Cam's hands fast.

All of these things, if executed correctly will go a long way in neutralizing the threat Peppers presents.

Newton vs Peppers intrigues me.

Peppers is certainly bigger (at least 40 pounds or more) but I doubt he's used to having QBs that can look him in the eye.

To be a Top 5 in the league, you actually have to play like it. You can't just be it because of the first part of your statement. This fanbase hasn't exactly seen many great DE's so I guess that's another reason why they overrate Peppers.

Also, FWIW, Reggie White is the greatest DE to ever put on a Panther's uniform. Obviously he didn't have his best days here, but still, to be correct on the technicalities. Although it appears we have a good many people here who would take Peppers over Reggie because, after all Peppers is a "freak"!!!

Panther fans are likely the only people who would argue he isn't a top 5 DE.

don't care what anyone thinks, peppers the most ferocious DE in the league when he gets a shot at someone, hope cam doesn't get his bell rung.