#1 Lout

Lout

Draft Guru

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,414 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:44 AM

Firstly, the Panthers and Bears have had 1 common opponent this season, the Green Bay Packers. Both games were played on the respective teams' home field, and both played fairly close games with the defending super bowl champs. - DRAW

Secondly, the more I think about it, the more I believe the Jaguars game was a trap game for Carolina, in which, we came out victorious. I feel the Jags game was sandwiched between a game vs the defending super bowl champs (we gave them our best shot, as do all teams playing the champs), and a game in which Ron Rivera admitted was going to be a very special game vs his old team the Chicago Bears.. so I expect him to have looked forward a bit to this game, and may not have given his best shot towards the Jaguars. Hence, Cam Newton's sup-par game.

Thirdly, the Statistics. I feel our statistics are fairly similar to the Bears thus far, but we beat them in several key categories. Obviously, past statistics do not win games, but I like what I see here.

Key notes: Chicago is allowing 70% passing completion through 3 games.. that's very very high. I expect Cam to have a big game. The Bears rushing offense is worse than ours! I feel like many critics are handing us a loss for this game before it has been played, and I just don't see it. I feel we matchup well with the Bears.

OFFENSE

Panthers / Bears
First Downs - 68/47
3rd Down %- .375/.275
Passing Yards- 1012/858
Running Yards- 252/161
Total Yards - 1264/1019
Sacks Allowed- 8/14
Touchdowns- 6/6
T.O.P.- 31:38/26.32
Turnover Ratio- -2/2

DEFENSE

First Down Allowed- 44/60
3rd Down % Allowed- .342/.395
Pass % Allowed- 63%/70%
Passing Allowed- 756/886
Running Allowed- 351/328
Total Allowed- 1107/1214
Sacks- 5/8
Forced Fumbles- 3/3
INTs- 1/2

Edited by Lout, 27 September 2011 - 11:02 AM.

#2 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • 8,852 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:57 AM

I give us a 50/50 chance. Good thing the game in Chicago is early in the year and not in December.

#3 jtnc

jtnc

Resident Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • 13,291 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:59 AM

I also hope Chris Harris remains sidelined with that hammy. And I believe the team has now got that first W and want more, especially Cam. So expect them to come fully prepared, it'll be fun if Cam and Olsen get into a rhythm and start lighting it up.

#4 Seamonk

Seamonk

kekekekekeke

• HUDDLER
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:02 AM

Im pretty optimistic for the season in general. We're on an upward trend and so far we have no reason to be concerned.

#5 chknwing

chknwing

• HUDDLER
  • 6,474 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:12 AM

"We don't play many teams who get off the bus and their quarterback looks like Julius Peppers" -- Chicago Bears coach Lovie Smith on the Carolina Panthers

#6 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 16,499 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:23 AM

The numbers certainly look good.
Vegas still says Bears -6.5.
Hope Cam gets off to a fast start and our D sticks Cutler's nose in the turf early.

#7 dimbee

dimbee

Rabble Rouser

• HUDDLER
  • 7,884 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:35 AM

It will be interesting watching the 2 stat sheets line up against each other and go at it on Sunday. I hope it doesn't rain! :D

#8 The Saltman

The Saltman

I have Returned

• Moderators
  • 24,877 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:38 AM

I mean, 2 yards?

Really?

#9 edromeo

edromeo

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 12:18 PM

Key notes: Chicago is allowing 70% passing completion through 3 games.. that's very very high. I expect Cam to have a big game. The Bears rushing offense is worse than ours! I feel like many critics are handing us a loss for this game before it has been played, and I just don't see it. I feel we matchup well with the Bears.

The Bears Tampa-2 defense forces teams to check down because the Peppers lead pass rush typically gets pressure with 4 before the downfield receivers get open.
So while they give up 70% comp rate is misleading especially considering they've faced 2 of the best passing offenses in the league (Saints, Packers) and they do a decent job on 3rd down.

Back to the Cover 2/Tampa 2.
Thankfully playing the Jags kinda prepares Chudz/Cam going into the Bears game because the Jags playing a lot of Cover 2 zone.
But, the difference in pass rush is night and day and Lovie Smith plays a bit more of a Tampa 2 then a Cover 2.

Imo this defense will present the greatest test for Chudz/Shula and Cam thus far.

#10 liljah8303

liljah8303

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • LocationThomasville

Posted 27 September 2011 - 12:27 PM

Ill take the panthers with the spread, hell Ill take them without the spread.

3 keys for us to win.
-Special Teams.
-Contain Forte
-Win the turnover battle.

One thing that scares me is Pep. He can sniff out screens like its nobodies business. Its gonna be a good game but Im going with the Panthers.

Car-30
Chi-20

#11 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 36,897 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 27 September 2011 - 12:34 PM

I have three reasons for optimism.

They each started at 1pm over the past few Sundays, except for the very first which started at 4:15.

#12 liljah8303

liljah8303

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • LocationThomasville

Posted 27 September 2011 - 12:50 PM

I have three reasons for optimism.

They each started at 1pm over the past few Sundays, except for the very first which started at 4:15.

I dont get it

#13 R0ck0

R0ck0

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 12:53 PM

Harris will play this game. He wants to play his former team... badly. The Bears entire D is different with him in the game.

#14 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • 8,852 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 12:55 PM

Ill take the panthers with the spread, hell Ill take them without the spread.

3 keys for us to win.
-Special Teams.
-Contain Forte
-Win the turnover battle.

One thing that scares me is Pep. He can sniff out screens like its nobodies business. Its gonna be a good game but Im going with the Panthers.

Car-30
Chi-20

I would add Urlacher and Briggs. Their back 4 doesnt pose much of a threat, but their front 7 is quite nice. They will do their best not to let Cam get into space and take away shorter passing lanes. I see us taking quite a few deep shots in this one. I'm not letting those horrific conditions from Sunday influence my thought that Cam can dominate their secondary.

#15 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 36,897 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 27 September 2011 - 12:58 PM

I dont get it

I like to call them "the first three games".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.