Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SCP

Serious question for Obama voters

95 posts in this topic

I understand your position, natty, but I sure as hell don't understand that cartoon in your sig. WTF is that?

Us not building nuclear power plants is one of the many silly things this country continues to do, and one that keeps us in the middle east.

As to the President thing. I am not happy at all with what his agenda is, nor am I happy about the sickening amount of money that the American public is going to have to repay to the government.

I resent big government so therefore, I cannot like him at all. I will respect him, however, much like I did Bush.

lol you guys think building nuclear power plants is as easy as selecting them in sim city.

there's not a city or state government in america, no matter how liberal or conservative, who would allow a nuclear plant.

everyone is ok with it as long as the plants are in someone else's area.

there's not a city or state government in america, no matter how liberal or conservative, who would allow a nuclear plant.

So how did the ones we already have get put up? The Mayans?

lol you guys think building nuclear power plants is as easy as selecting them in sim city.

Not at all. The amount of obstacles involved in building one is incredible, but they're not insurmountable. It would kick ass if it were that easy, though....

I live about 15 miles from Oconee Nuclear and nobody around here has any problem with it being there. We just enjoy waking up and knowing the coffee maker will work. Nuclear plants, for the most part, are a non-issue with those that have any knowledge of the inner workings as far as safety is concerned. The only thing people really get their panties bunched up over is the waste storage issue, and I fully agree that a solid plan needs to be put in motion to either safely store or convert fission byproducts.

:D good one

the last one was built 40 years ago. about the time of the meltdown in michigan and the whole 'china syndrome' thing.

They either need to build new, or invest in new reactor bodies and heads for these existing plants because IIRC most existing plants' licensing has already been extended past the original timeframe (or maybe 'lifetime' is the proper term) of original equipment. Don't read that as "the existing equipment poses a serious safety risk" but more as the original equipment has outlasted their expectations. Buuut, everything has a finite lifetime and must be replaced eventually.

I would post links for what I've said above, but I learned that info from my father, who refueled reactors around the world for years. I'll see what I can find.