• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#31 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 12:45 PM

I believe your utility bill fear is a little unwarranted....I think in the next 5 years you'll see solar panels on peoples houses and allowing them to contribute back to the grid.

I hope you're right, though I have to say I'm rightfully skeptical when he is steadfastly opposed to us building more nuclear power plants.

#32 LiQuiD

LiQuiD

Plumb Crazy

• HUDDLER
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 12:55 PM

That's one area where I disagree with the guy I voted for. Nuclear power is a well established and well regulated form of power generation. Not to mention a safe one as well. Sure, it takes much longer to erect a nuclear plant than it does to install a solar panel or wind turbine, but the comparative power generation capabilities are much greater. If only they would invest more heavily in that pesky waste storage problem...

#33 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 12:57 PM

That's one area where I disagree with the guy I voted for. Nuclear power is a well established and well regulated form of power generation. Not to mention a safe one as well. Sure, it takes much longer to erect a nuclear plant than it does to install a solar panel or wind turbine, but the comparative power generation capabilities are much greater. If only they would invest more heavily in that pesky waste storage problem...

We could wean ourselves off of oil much more quickly with nuclear power than any other alternative source.

#34 LiQuiD

LiQuiD

Plumb Crazy

• HUDDLER
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 12:58 PM

Absolutely. We finally see eye to eye on something. What progress!:hurray:

#35 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 01:00 PM

Absolutely. We finally see eye to eye on something. What progress!:hurray:

If I can change...and youze can change....everybody can change!

We need a Rocky smiley.

#36 LiQuiD

LiQuiD

Plumb Crazy

• HUDDLER
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 01:02 PM

One more thing, just reviewed the Leno interview and it struck me that in order for plug-in hybrids to be part of a solution, the electricity absolutely must be generated by nuclear power plants. Otherwise, they contribute to the already growing dependency issue.

#37 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • 4,664 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 01:44 PM

One more thing, just reviewed the Leno interview and it struck me that in order for plug-in hybrids to be part of a solution, the electricity absolutely must be generated by nuclear power plants. Otherwise, they contribute to the already growing dependency issue.

I was thinking the same thing when he said that.

But I don't necessarily agree with the nuclear thing though. Our power consumption is rising(which is not really a bad thing - it's a mark of progress in general) and I think it'll take a lot of smaller innovations to keep up, not just simply building more plants.

The concept of people selling back to the grid is very powerful. Just think of all the ways individuals could create power given they have incentive. Solar power is just one thing, but think someone exercising on a bike - they afford to buy a more expensive bike that'll generate a current and sell it back to the grid because ultimately they'll make a profit. Now take that concept to ever growing health clubs....

#38 LiQuiD

LiQuiD

Plumb Crazy

• HUDDLER
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 02:17 PM

But I don't necessarily agree with the nuclear thing though.

I understand that selling power back to the grid is an attractive thought, though who is going to make the initial investment to follow through with that? It would have to be *heavily* subsidized and not a very consistent source of power. I would rather spend my tax dollars on nuclear energy, which produces large quantities of electricity at a consistent, dependable rate.

What problems do you currently have with nuclear power? Why the reservations about it?

#39 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 02:31 PM

I understand that selling power back to the grid is an attractive thought, though who is going to make the initial investment to follow through with that? It would have to be *heavily* subsidized and not a very consistent source of power. I would rather spend my tax dollars on nuclear energy, which produces large quantities of electricity at a consistent, dependable rate.

What problems do you currently have with nuclear power? Why the reservations about it?

I'm sure they'll say Chernobyl and Three Mile Island, and I understand that, but like McCain said, we have submarines operating all around the world that prove it can be done safely.

#40 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • 4,664 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 02:50 PM

That's why it'll take some ingenuity to get it done. It'll take lots of smaller innovations to make it consistent and dependable.

I don't have anything against nuclear power nor am I opposed to opening new plants. I'm just trying to look at it from a bigger picture and realize that simply building new plants isn't a long term, permanent solution. If nuclear power can be used in the short term to stabilize the mess we're in I'm all for it.

Although nuclear power is safe, it's not all rainbows and lollipops.

And Meat, don't you dare call me a 'they'. :wink:

#41 LiQuiD

LiQuiD

Plumb Crazy

• HUDDLER
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 03:39 PM

I understand your position, natty, but I sure as hell don't understand that cartoon in your sig. WTF is that?

#42 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 7,444 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 03:45 PM

Us not building nuclear power plants is one of the many silly things this country continues to do, and one that keeps us in the middle east.

As to the President thing. I am not happy at all with what his agenda is, nor am I happy about the sickening amount of money that the American public is going to have to repay to the government.

I resent big government so therefore, I cannot like him at all. I will respect him, however, much like I did Bush.

#43 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 10,787 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 07:28 PM

lol you guys think building nuclear power plants is as easy as selecting them in sim city.

#44 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,143 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 11:58 PM

there's not a city or state government in america, no matter how liberal or conservative, who would allow a nuclear plant.

everyone is ok with it as long as the plants are in someone else's area.

#45 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 06:03 AM

there's not a city or state government in america, no matter how liberal or conservative, who would allow a nuclear plant.

everyone is ok with it as long as the plants are in someone else's area.

So how did the ones we already have get put up? The Mayans?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.