Photo
- - - - -

Let us pretend the NFL was to redo the 2011 NFL Draft....

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#31 PantherFan52

PantherFan52

The Man

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 03:12 PM

At that time I was young and un-wise. Boy i'm glad I was wrong about Newton.

I guess it was a solid reverse jinx!

#32 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• ALL-PRO
  • 15,535 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 03:15 PM

Some of us did. No I didn't know he would put up 400 yards a game but I wanted to start him day 1, thought he would know the playbook much better than people thought, and knew that with his athleticism he can make plays other guys simply can't.

Frankly all the negativity from the supposed experts was the only reason I had any reservations at all. I was a big Newton fan before I even heard anything about Luck.

I'm talking about to the degree Cam is playing.. as often as QBs fail, it's still a crap-shoot... then again, it would appear that trend is changing...

#33 Stumpy

Stumpy

Cam Ward Trolls Hard

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts
  • LocationHickory

Posted 03 October 2011 - 03:20 PM

Some of us did. No I didn't know he would put up 400 yards a game but I wanted to start him day 1, thought he would know the playbook much better than people thought, and knew that with his athleticism he can make plays other guys simply can't.

I think everybody knew he could make plays that other guys couldn't. The question, at the time, was whether he could make the plays that other guys could.

I didn't think he could, and that's why I was against drafting him.

Thank God I wasn't in the war room on draft day! I haven't been this wrong about a draft pick since cursing Hurney for taking some scrub named Beason over Greg fuging Olsen!

Edited by Stumpy, 03 October 2011 - 03:22 PM.

#34 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,963 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 03 October 2011 - 03:20 PM

Didn't bother me any. Those so called experts are wrong more often then there right. I think a lot of us saw something special in the kid. I'm just glad for once Hurney and Co didn't hesitate to take him.

That is the thing that is still hard to believe. I can only suggest that Rivera was sold on him and pushed hard for him. If Foxy would have still been here we definitely wouldn't have gone that direction. There are a lot of folks on here that pushed for a real franchise QB for years. Really since we made the horrible decision to get rid of Beuerlein. Yeah Jake was my main man but it was hard to call him a franchise quarterback. He was the closest thing we had though over the past decade. Now we finally have our guy.

Edited by panthers55, 03 October 2011 - 03:23 PM.

#35 Kitten Diver

Kitten Diver

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,824 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 03:23 PM

Everyone would trade for him currently except for maybe Minnesota and Miami who have got to be considering throwing the rest of their games to get #1 next year.

#36 5158Poundin

5158Poundin

Here Kitty Kitty

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,258 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 03 October 2011 - 03:25 PM

I wasn't thrilled with the pick initially as I didn't really know much about Cam and unfortunately had listened too much to the supposed "experts" who poopoo'd him based on his experience and the type of offense he played in college. I was on the Luck bandwagon.

I am thrilled to be wrong and feel LUCKY that we got Cam. I think the future is bright with him and he is showing tremendous poise and for the most part maturity that completely took me by surprise. I have hope and mad excitement when he is on the field and I see an energy in Smitty that hasn't been there since 2008.

I haven't felt excited about Panther football in the last 2 years. It's great to feel hope and nervous anticipation again!

#37 Kitten Diver

Kitten Diver

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,824 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 03:29 PM

I haven't felt excited about Panther football in the last 2 years. It's great to feel hope and nervous anticipation again!

and actually being in the game with 2 min left in the 4th is nice too

#38 Herbert The Love Bug

Herbert The Love Bug

Stripper Name: Bo Dangles

• HUDDLER
  • 12,567 posts
  • Locationtied to your basement wall

Posted 03 October 2011 - 05:39 PM

Imagine if we did pass on Newton. There would be some angry people around here.

#39 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 24,156 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:09 PM

I would do the same even if Luck was in the draft. I said it before as well. Just chalk this up to Panthro knowing more than any of you....

It's going to be a fun journey peoples

#40 Jbro

Jbro

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 5,538 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:16 PM

I would draft Dalton so Scrum could get us free drinks.

#41 footballisasport

footballisasport

• HUDDLER
  • 5,506 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:23 PM

Like Auburn...Cam ended up with a team that really needs him and his talents. It would be a waste for another team to have taken him and got caught up in the negativity and benched him simply because the talking heads said so.

It may be fustrating right now for Cam but I hope he doesn't lose his confidence during this losing spell because this is a team that really does seem to believe they have a chance to win every game they play in on Sundays even if the naysayers say otherwise. The wins will come sooner than later. Give them back just some of those bad ref calls while in the endzone and the record could easily be 2-2 or 3-1.

#42 Jbro

Jbro

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 5,538 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:25 PM

Like Auburn...Cam ended up with a team that really needs him and his talents. It would be a waste for another team to have taken him and got caught up in the negativity and benched him simply because the talking heads said so.

It may be fustrating right now for Cam but I hope he doesn't lose his confidence during this losing spell because this is a team that really does seem to believe they have a chance to win every game they play in on Sundays even if the naysayers say otherwise. The wins will come sooner than later. Give them back just some of those bad ref calls while in the endzone and the record could easily be 2-2 or 3-1.

Not to derail this thread but wtf is up with your user name? I think of Lonely Island every time I see it.

#43 Match.com

Match.com

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 03 October 2011 - 07:54 PM

I wanted to draft Patrick Peterson... SMH.

Wow,this video!!damn,I knew he had heart...good to see Steve smith utilized again..the panthers really failed this guy for 3 years.

#44 HoFBound90

HoFBound90

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 08:02 PM

Nobody save for maybe King Taharqa knew the total package Cam would bring to the field Sundays.

selective memory there, always a big cam supporter, guess I didn't post enough around raft time. Plenty of people saw how good cam was there were just to many nay sayers, elitist analysts, forum "knowledge masters" and haters who always fell back on the "this is the nfl, not college" complaint. can't fault them just wish they weren't so blind and actually gave the kid a chance. Any player has a chance to thrive anywhere.

To answer the questions, everyone but the pats, packers, saints, charger, and lions would have given up their worldly possessions for cam.

#45 restNChrist

restNChrist

Fear and Loathing in Shula town

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

Posted 03 October 2011 - 08:02 PM

I was so dead set against taking Cam and he has single handedly turned my whole perspective on this team around... we are one to three years away from being dominant! Thank you front office!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com