<

Photo
- - - - -

Here is what is wrong (stats tell the story)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#16 pawsandclaws

pawsandclaws

Speaker of the House

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 04 October 2011 - 09:00 PM

You can find 90% of that stuff here:

We are currently 8th in TOP. Surprised me too.
http://www.teamranki....sion-net-of-ot
That is a treasure trove for stats junkies (myself included)

#17 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 04 October 2011 - 09:30 PM

One of the big knocks on the Jim Johnson style of defense is that it's sometimes vulnerable to big plays.

It is a high risk, high reward defense. Usually the ration of created sacks, fumbles losses and stops versus blown coverages or big runs is 75% to 25%. The problem with ours is that we seem to have all the risk but little of the reward.

#18 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

SUPPORTER

Posted 04 October 2011 - 09:43 PM

It is a high risk, high reward defense. Usually the ration of created sacks, fumbles losses and stops versus blown coverages or big runs is 75% to 25%. The problem with ours is that we seem to have all the risk but little of the reward.

Well, I'd attribute a lot of that to our still being in transition.

Another offseason of practice and roster tweaking and we should see some improvement.

#19 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

HUDDLER

Posted 04 October 2011 - 09:43 PM

its amazing half the people on this forum are not coaches.

What the fug are you doing here if you don't want people to talk about football?

#20 Catalyst

Catalyst

HUDDLER

Posted 04 October 2011 - 10:22 PM

How strange it is that our offense is among the league's elite while our defense has struggled. Who would've guessed that back in the spring?

#21 Frizzy350

Frizzy350

HUDDLER

Posted 04 October 2011 - 10:31 PM

curious, what ever happened to jamar williams. the dude we acquired in the trade with chicago when we sent harris back to them?

#22 Double34Trouble28

Double34Trouble28

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 04 October 2011 - 10:41 PM

curious, what ever happened to jamar williams. the dude we acquired in the trade with chicago when we sent harris back to them?

What happened? Nothing good.

#23 Udogg

Udogg

Cardiac Victim since 95

HUDDLER

Posted 04 October 2011 - 11:11 PM

How strange it is that our offense is among the league's elite while our defense has struggled. Who would've guessed that back in the spring?

Everyone here should have guessed it. Whatever we think is going to be our biggest concern usually turns out to be the opposite.

#24 Ivan The Awesome

Ivan The Awesome

Keep Pounding...all the way to...the draft! :D

SUPPORTER

Posted 04 October 2011 - 11:15 PM

pi and swag for your efforts.

You sound like a king giving one of his loyal peasants sheckles for valueable information that will serve as the catalyst for an impending hostile take over.

#25 Devoid

Devoid

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 05 October 2011 - 10:07 AM

Well, I'd attribute a lot of that to our still being in transition.

Another offseason of practice and roster tweaking and we should see some improvement.

I have always thought it takes 6-8 weeks for a new defense to start clicking, but I think fielding the same defensive players for 2 weeks in a row would be a huge help.

#26 SevenSixes

SevenSixes

Born a moron

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 05 October 2011 - 10:52 AM

A great post.
I too thought that Naanee was a penalty machine, but after I looked through the game logs @NFL.Com I discovered that he has had only 2 penalties in the 4 games.

Greg Olsen tops the team @ 4. Two of those occurred during the beginning of the Chi game. No wonder Cam wasn't hearing any of Olsen's "nice try" crap after the game..

#27 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

Moderators

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:02 AM

One of the big knocks on the Jim Johnson style of defense is that it's sometimes vulnerable to big plays.

yep. it's a risk that can be lessened, but will always be there. it's just a very aggressive defense, but with anything aggressive there is a risk that it could blow up in your face. still worth it, imo, if you can get the right guys and get the guys doing their jobs right.

i think the thing that is really hurting the most is the lack of leadership in the middle of the field to tighten things up and keep guys heads in it. we are really hurting not having either beason or TD. it was going to be hard enough without beason there, but i felt ok with TD running things. having none of them there really stacks up the odds against us.

Noteworthy:Teams are not rushing to the left(Charles Johnsons side) and when they do they are mostly unsuccessful. However most of the success and all of the runs for over 40 yards are to the Right( Hardy's side). The middle rushes are met with average success against us, although MJD gashed us a few good times up the middle in the Monsoon. So can we please stop crying about the DT'S now?

this was very interesting to me. did you get this from PFF?

#28 panther4life

panther4life

HUDDLER

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:06 AM

yep. it's a risk that can be lessened, but will always be there. it's just a very aggressive defense, but with anything aggressive there is a risk that it could blow up in your face. still worth it, imo, if you can get the right guys and get the guys doing their jobs right.

i think the thing that is really hurting the most is the lack of leadership in the middle of the field to tighten things up and keep guys heads in it. we are really hurting not having either beason or TD. it was going to be hard enough without beason there, but i felt ok with TD running things. having none of them there really stacks up the odds against us.
this was very interesting to me. did you get this from PFF?

No, I went through the painstaking process of reading the play by plays on Yahoo to get that info. Most of the other stats came from NFL.com and teamrankings.com

#29 SevenSixes

SevenSixes

Born a moron

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:22 AM

I found the Game Logs on NFL.Com to be pretty helpful. Check them out
Week 1 Arizona
Week 2 Green Bay
Week 3 Jax -if you are saving these, change the name of this pdf.
Week 4 Chicago

#30 blackcatgrowl

blackcatgrowl

Trolls live here

HUDDLER

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:26 AM

its amazing half the people on this forum are not coaches.

Gosh. By that account, anyone with an informed opinion capable of making objective observations could be a football coach. Who knew?