Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fieryprophet

Cam's Been Even Better Than His Stats

42 posts in this topic

Just compare last year's offense to this years' offense. How can you not be excited about the improvement? Last year, I was just hoping for 1 first down on any given drive and I was disappointed more often than not. If there was a false start or a hold on 1st down last year, the "drive" was already over.

Last year had to be one of the bottom 10 seasons ever in the NFL to watch live as a fan. So yeah i'm excited about the improvemengt and Cam is electric to watch.

However 75% of what I am looking for when I go to a game is a W.

The other 25% is neat and keeps me coming back but I want to go to the playoffs.

We have plenty of talent to be in the playoffs this year

Every week I see Cam improving. That's huge.

Yes he'll have some regressions (the high throws in the Jax game for one), but the consistent improvement shows the work he's putting in.

that was the #1 thing i was looking for. wins were nice, but realistically i was just expecting to see growth, an ability to grasp what is going on in the game, and flashes of brilliance that is to come.

i've seen that in spades, much more than i could have hoped for. so much that i've raised the bar somewhat for what i expect. not sure that was wise though. it's easy for me to forget where this team was last year, how short the offseason was, how young this offense is, and that newton is still...despite how good he's doing...still just a rookie.

i have to keep looking at peyton manning's first year and remind myself that if that can happen to him, losses can happen to cam. he's already ahead of where peyton was at this point in that regard. manning didn't get his first win until week 5. fwiw, going into that game he only had 3 TDs and 11 INTs.

Last year had to be one of the bottom 10 seasons ever in the NFL to watch live as a fan. So yeah i'm excited about the improvemengt and Cam is electric to watch.

The other 25% is neat and keeps me coming back but I want to go to the playoffs.

We all want wins, but sometimes you have to go through some growing pains to become a consistent winner. I'm not so sure we have the defensive talent to make the play offs this year though. That's why most fans are pointing to next year.

we just realized that, though. we have the talent for sure and the rest of the division isn't exactly stellar this year so far. we could win it or at the very least get a wildcard spot. we've got as good a chance as anyone in that regard.

we get excited about this being just the beginning, but we have to remember that this is still 'the beginning' so while we may think that this team is good enough as is, expectations should be hampered a little, just for this year, though.

give cam newton a full offseason with a year under his belt and this team an offseason to learn their respective systems and time to fill holes that we know we have and there will be no reason that we shouldn't be massively in the playoff hunt yearly just like the colts and the pats.

We all want wins, but sometimes you have to go through some growing pains to become a consistent winner. I'm not so sure we have the defensive talent to make the play offs this year though. That's why most fans are pointing to next year.

this and special teams are the only things that are holding my expectations for this team back.

offensively i think we have what it takes.

this and special teams are the only things that are holding my expectations for this team back.

offensively i think we have what it takes.

Honestly, I don't think our ST's are as bad as people think they are. Let's face it, there is only one Devon Hester. You just can't put the ball to that guy.

Two long punt returns for TD's in 4 games? Yeah safe to say ST's sucks.

Two long punt returns for TD's in 4 games? Yeah safe to say ST's sucks.

Punt the damn ball out of bounds...problem solved.

Honestly, I don't think our ST's are as bad as people think they are. Let's face it, there is only one Devon Hester. You just can't put the ball to that guy.
:eek::eek::eek::eek: seriously?

lawdy lawdy lawdy!!!!!!!

they are horrible on all accounts.

on kickoff coverage we are allowing 27.2 yards per return. that's 23rd worst in the league. teams are returning half of our kickoffs mainly because they know they can return it on us.

on punt return coverage we are by far the worst in the league. avg 33 yards per return. the next closest to us is the packers w/ 22.

oh yeah, we lead the league in PR for TDs allowed.

fortunately we aren't punting that often we've had 6 fair catches and 5 returned. still, the message is that if you have a chance, chances are you are going to go far with it.

28th on punt returns at a measly 5.4 yards per return. oh...our longest punt return this year? 14 yards. ugh. (also 28th in league)

22nd on kick returns. 21.8 yards per return. longest kick return is 31 yards (25th in league).

sorry...we are that bad on special teams. there isn't a phase that we do well in.

again.

1 person likes this

Well all you can do about KO coverage is to keep kicking it deep in the endzone, which works well against 90% of the kick returners in the league. Do that and punt it out of bounds, and that's 14 fewer points given up right there. The rest, you just have to work on. These things tend to get better as the season goes by anyway when you have a new coaching staff and a lot of new players on ST's.

That rugby crap needs to go, I know that for sure. Punting it high and towards the sideline is a tried and true method that has worked consistantly for longer than any of us have been alive.

Well all you can do about KO coverage is to keep kicking it deep in the endzone, which works well against 90% of the kick returners in the league. Do that and punt it out of bounds, and that's 14 fewer points given up right there. The rest, you just have to work on. These things tend to get better as the season goes by anyway when you have a new coaching staff and a lot of new players on ST's.

That rugby crap needs to go, I know that for sure. Punting it high and towards the sideline is a tried and true method that has worked consistantly for longer than any of us have been alive.

except that's what we;ve been doing over 95% of the time and they still return it on us becauyse they know they can.

also, just kicking the ball out of bounds comes with it's on risk as well. you can kick it out at the 40+ or the 5. you have very little control where that thing goes. it isn't as simple as that regardless of how some think it should be.

btw...the rugby kick is supposed to get it high. it's supposed to get some air underneath it so that the gunners have more than enough time to get there. it just didn't work on that play because baker for some reason didn't get enough air under it. it wasn't the idea that was bad...it was the execution of it on bakers part.

Actually it is pretty simple to punt to the sidelines, and even if it doesn't go out of bounds, at least you make the return man run sideways, which is where you get all of those block in the back and holding calls. The rugby kick is a lot harder to execute for a guy who isn't used to it, so why make him do it? Face it, Rivera outsmarted himself on this one.