Photo
- - - - -

rivera and the coaching staff cost us this game

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
99 replies to this topic

#91 MechaZain

MechaZain

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 09 October 2011 - 07:41 PM

For all of you people saying "No, it was the defense", did you see the defensive play calls? It wasn't like players were being burned. Saints WRs were wide open because coverage was almost always backed off.

#92 KillerKat

KillerKat

GTFO Shula

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:08 PM

For all of you people saying "No, it was the defense", did you see the defensive play calls? It wasn't like players were being burned. Saints WRs were wide open because coverage was almost always backed off.

When your team scores 27 points and still loses, its the defense. Not enough pressure. Soft coverage. Still sucking at DT. Poor tackling. Making things easy for opposing offenses. We have a vanilla defense.

#93 Queen City Dream Team

Queen City Dream Team

The North Cack

• Pip
ROOKIE

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:35 PM

The Panthers did not lose the game today solely because of RR; it was a combination of a multitude of errors in all facets of the game. The 3rd and 2 go route was not a good call but it was also poor execution on Newton's part. Smith got separation and was open; Newton just couldn't deliver. Also the fact that we spotted the Saints 7 points didn't help. That wasn't RR's fault. There's no way Newton and Smitty shouldn't be on the same page on the first play of the game. The timeout on the field goal was an obvious mistake and Rivera knows it. But what nobody is looking at is how poorly our secondary played. Yes I realize they were playing the 2nd best offense in the league but the tackling and coverage was atrocious. The corners gave the saints WR's a 5 yard cushion the entire game (except for the play where Butler broke it up) and the safeties were nowhere to be found. Sherrod Martin's INT was pure luck and Godfrey consistently missed tackles. The play of the Special Teams is appalling. The blocked PAT really pissed me off as that shows a complete lack of discipline. But in the end it comes down to the same things: an inexperienced coach who will refuse to run the ball in the redzone combined with a secondary that couldn't stop a JV football team combined with a weak interior line on both sides of the ball. There's a lot to look forward to but there's also a lot that needs to be addressed. Playing the league's second toughest schedule doesn't help as does blaming the coach for everything bad that happens either. Just my 2 cents.

#94 Third Degree

Third Degree

Local business owner and cat enthusiast

HUDDLER

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:42 PM

nice wall ya got there

#95 TheOracle

TheOracle

Know-It-All

HUDDLER

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:46 PM

Chud did well today

Wrong. Anytime you REFUSE to run Stewart & Williams in goal line situations (ALL SEASON LONG), and instead choose to bang your Quarterback into the defense over and over on goal line situations, you called a bad game.

Rivera's a rookie head coach. I think he'll learn, just like his QB, but I always preferred Harbaugh.

#96 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

HUDDLER

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:56 PM

Chud did a great job today.

#97 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

SUPPORTER

Posted 09 October 2011 - 09:01 PM

Rivera has been a coach of some sort in the NFL for 12 years. He is not a rookie.

#98 Dont Check My Chicken

Dont Check My Chicken

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 09 October 2011 - 09:10 PM

how could he not just leave the base defense on the field in that situation? There was no reason to substitute.

Total blunder.

exactly!!!!

#99 Chimera

Chimera

Not Bant

HUDDLER

Posted 09 October 2011 - 09:15 PM

Chud did a great job today.

I like the mix of calls.
I don't like that DWill went had 115 yards at the half, then had 115 yards at the end of the game. Why leave your go-to guy out of the game?

#100 edromeo

edromeo

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 10 October 2011 - 09:13 AM

Coaches are gonna make some mistakes, all coaches do.

The timeout was a mistake.

I question the decision on 3rd and 2, I would have liked there to be more options on such a crucial play.
Spread them out give Cam the chance to throw hot against a bltiz or have a hi-lo read then if the play isn't there the defense is already spread out which would give Newton a chance to run.

But, despite their mistakes its very hard for me to find fault with the coaching staff on offense.