Photo
- - - - -

Your Mock Draft. Post them here.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
42 replies to this topic

#37 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 20 October 2011 - 07:38 AM

do not want Crick but if we decide to go LB in the 1st round i would love to get Courtney Upshaw. has a nasty side, can rush the passer, and he can play any LB spot in a 3-4.(probably a 4-3 as well he is athletic enough)

#38 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

SUPPORTER

Posted 20 October 2011 - 08:12 AM

I'm not motivated enough to do a full mock draft (and it is a bit early) but here's my view on the matter as it stands now.

If we're picking in the top 10, I want a future star. That means (in my opinion) one of these four players: Kalil, that other top OT from Stanford, Blackmon or Jeffrey.

If we're picking in the 10-20 range (whether from trade or from winning 7+ of our last 10 games) I'm warming to the idea of Brandon Thompson a lot, IF Hogan and Butler seem to have solidified the CB2 spot by this point. It seems Thompson has made some progress from last year and he's looking pretty good so far. If Hogan/Butler haven't shown to be reliable CB2 by then, I think we gotta look at Jenkins, Claiborne or Kirkpatrick (or Harris, I still like him). We could probably get a day 1 starter at CB in this range. If we start leaning toward the 3-4 heavier, I'd say either the Ta'amu (if he looks to be a starting NFL NT by then, which would require some improvement) or if there's a guy that looks to be a good strong 3-4 DE or a pass rushing OLB (there's supposedly a few high potential guys that fit that bill). If we're transitioning to favor the 3-4, we gotta start building pieces for that starting with the 1st round, like what the Texans did last draft.

If we're able to trade down to 20+ and are sticking with the 4-3, Thompson could actually still be around possibly, or Worthy if he's looking like a value pick. I'm also warming to the idea of a OLB in the 1st if we're in the 20s (but not earlier, if we're sticking with 4-3). If we're switching to favoring a 3-4, same strategy as the previous paragraph. Gotta get pieces early and often for that. Still should be plenty of pass rushing OLBs for a 3-4 in this range, maybe even Burfict or Teo to play alongside Beason. Just gotta pick BPA for our new 3-4 defense, in this situation.

In the 2nd if we've only got our 1 pick and didn't take a CB in the 1st, I'd think long and hard about Harris, Winnifield or Gilmore even if Butler/Hogan show promise. All 3 look solid to borderline spectacular at times. Otherwise, if we're sticking with 4-3 an OLB could probably be a very good value pick here. Either of the UNC top OLBs could go in this range, as well as a number of other very good OLBs. 4-3 OLB just isn't a highly drafted position these days (unless the team is coached by John Fox) and some very quality guys could be available here. There might also be some solid DTs available here - Worthy, Randall or Chapman could be available. Round two has to be a defensive pick regardless of what we do in the 1st. Best value for defense here.

If we pick up a second 2nd round pick from a trade down in the 1st, the only offensive position I'd consider using it on is an OG if there's a stud available. Otherwise, same pool of players as mentioned in the previous paragraph.

After the 2nd, just BPA. We should definitely pick up a LB somewhere in the draft, we could avoid the need for a CB or DT with FA and Hogan/Butler panning out. I wouldn't bother with a DT after the 2nd unless there's a Hardy type fall by someone. We have enough youth there, unless it's someone with very high potential we should just let McClain/Fua develop and sign a vet or two in FA. I wouldn't take a WR after the 1st. I don't think anyone not named Jeffrey or Blackmon will be much if any of an upgrade over Gettis or Lafell.

#39 Catalyst

Catalyst

HUDDLER

Posted 22 October 2011 - 02:11 AM

My post-Otah I.R. mock scenarios:

Picking 5th-8th or so with no major trades:

1st: Alshon Jeffery, WR, South Carolina
2nd: Travis Lewis, OLB, Oklahoma
4th: Brandon Washington, OG, Miami
5th: Vince Browne, DE, Northwestern
6th: Philip Lutzenkirchen, TE, Auburn
7th: T.J. Barnes, NT, Georgia Tech (Jeff King comp. pick)
7th: Jonathan Bostic, ILB, Florida

Second, if we end up picking 11-15-ish:

1st: Brandon Thompson, DT, Clemson
2nd: Levy Adcock, OT, Oklahoma State
4th: Brandon Washington, OG, Miami
5th: Vince Browne, DE, Northwestern

Third, if we trade down and end up picking in the 20's and get a 2nd + a 6th:

1st: Zach Brown, OLB, UNC (via trade)
2nd: Kelechi Osemele, OT/OG, Iowa State
2nd: Dwight Jones, WR, UNC (via trade)
4th: Devon Still, DT, Penn State
5th: Brad Madison, DE, Missouri
6th: Josh Oglesby, OT, Wisconsin (via trade)

#40 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

SUPPORTER

Posted 22 October 2011 - 03:27 AM

Didn't wanna use the comp pick we'll likely get for Marshall? If King gets us a 7th, I imagine Marshall will get a 6th or 7th.

#41 Catalyst

Catalyst

HUDDLER

Posted 22 October 2011 - 03:46 AM

Is he starting for them? I thought players had to start to get comp. picks?

#42 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

SUPPORTER

Posted 22 October 2011 - 04:26 AM

No, it's based on the contract they sign with the new team. I don't think King is starting either, Heap is probably their starter. Besides, starter is a subjective term sometimes, something like this has to be based on concrete facts, like salary numbers.

#43 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

SUPPORTER

Posted 22 October 2011 - 07:34 AM

It's not just based on Contract value, while Contract value is the most important factor in determining comp picks. The NFL also looks at playing time and other variables such as post season play and so forth.