Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

R.I.P. Dan Wheldon

40 posts in this topic

Posted

Right when the wreck happened, I literally jumped up and instinctively yelled "Sh*t!! Someone just died..."

When I saw Dan's car sliding down the track, I singled it out, knowing the person sitting in that cockpit was NOT okay.

I can't believe that actually happened on live TV. I am still in absolute shock.

Posted

they have to find a way to make the catch fence safer, if at all possible.

Posted

Even though racing, any type of racing, has made great strides when it comes to safety. It's still a dangerous sport!

If you ever get a chance to go to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Sit in the bleachers at the south short chute, between turns 1 & 2. Close your eyes and listen. I swear you can still here the roar of the old Offy Roadsters!

So many greats have died racing. But they have died doing what they love!

RIP Dan! You will have plenty of friends in Heaven to talk racing with!

Posted

open wheel cars are death traps, seems that something like this happens at least every other year. the sport should be suspended until they get it fixed. getting rid of open cockpits would be a good start.

Posted

When they put the tarp on the car I figured it would be for investigative reasons and that he was gone. Once the chopper started and sat there for that long I knew he didn't make it.

He was my second fav behind Franchitti, still hard to believe someone in their prime and a year younger than me is gone.

Posted

I quit watching open wheel after Zanardi.

Posted

‎"We live on the cusp of death, thinking that it wont be us." Dan Wheldon died while truly living. It's a dangerous sport, but they do it anyways out of pure passion for what they love to do. RIP to a great man and a great driver.

Posted

After reading some reactions to his death I'm disappointed at humanity. No one from this site has said anything but the words that some people have said makes me sick.

Posted

I was just about to post that. On YouTube, Facebook pages, Twitter, etc, it makes me so ashamed to share the earth with some of these people.

It is absolutely sickening, and I don't understand how human beings can sink that low.

Posted

Terribly tragic. May his family find someway to cope. So sad.

Posted

I was just about to post that. On YouTube, Facebook pages, Twitter, etc, it makes me so ashamed to share the earth with some of these people.

It is absolutely sickening, and I don't understand how human beings can sink that low.

A lot of people are brave from behind a keyboard.

Posted

After seeing this thread last night, I got on youtube and watched all the videos... horrible, horrible wreck.

One thing I really haven't heard is about the other drivers involved... anyone else get hurt?

There's no way to make motor sports completely safe, but they really do need to change these open wheel cars. Way too dangerous...