g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,149 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 09:23 AM

Los Angeles...

http://www.judicialw...ween-minorities

On a mission to narrow the academic achievement gap between minorities and whites, the Obama Administration has ordered the nation’s second-largest public school district to cut back on disciplining black students and develop a special curriculum for those who don’t speak English.

The orders come on the heels of a 19-month federal “civil rights investigation” that concludes the Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) has long failed to provide an equal education to the hundreds of thousands of minorities enrolled in its 730 campuses. How exactly? It’s anybody’s guess since the most transparent administration in history refuses to disclose details of the lengthy probe, which was conducted by the U.S. Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights.

What we do know is that “English learners” and “African-Americans” are being cheated out of a quality education, according to Obama’s Education Secretary, Arne Duncan. So his agency is forcing the LAUSD to make sweeping changes because the systematic failure has resulted in huge academic disparities that have created a sort of civil rights crisis.

Stupid racists in LA...

the solution?

Key among the administration’s demands is that the school district “eliminate inequitable and disproportionate discipline practices” for blacks and that it renews its focus on “identifying the academic English needs of African-American students.” The LAUSD must also implement a “first-of-its-kind pilot project for a community school in a predominantly African-American neighborhood” that will become a “sustainable and replicable model for promoting African-American student success.”

For the district’s 200,000 non English speakers, many of them illegal immigrants, the administration wants a costly English Learner Master Plan that will address the “specific needs” of each pupil. Students who reach high school without mastering English skills required to take college-prep courses will also get extra help and both non English speaking and black students will get “better teachers” as well as other resources.

No word on how the cash-strapped school district, notorious for its overcrowded campuses and monstrous dropout rate, will pay for all this. The state’s largest newspaper puts it mildly when it says the federal mandate “poses a potential financial problem” for a public school district that’s “faced multimillion-dollar budget cuts and layoffs over the last few years.”

California...enough said.

#2 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• HUDDLER
  • 22,793 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 09:34 AM

If we only let "people" who are "white" and "speak English" into "school" we would not have any more "problems".

#3 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,149 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 09:54 AM

I'm just looking forward to how they'll implement the “eliminate inequitable and disproportionate discipline practices”.

#4 HoFBound90

HoFBound90

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 10:01 AM

I'm just looking forward to how they'll implement the “eliminate inequitable and disproportionate discipline practices”.

by not suspending/expelling a black kid who is merely walking down the hall listening to his music would be my guess. I means seriously this isn't a big issue, for this country to succeed we will need everyone. The only was to do that is to prepare everyone and let them have an equal educational jumping off point. They take it from there.

#5 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,075 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 20 October 2011 - 10:11 AM

If there are inequalities among the resources and infrastructure of schools that are predominantly white and predominantly black/hispanic....those shoud definitely be fixed.

If both the blacks and whites are attending the same schools...have access to the same resources...have the ability to take the same classes....the responsibility is on THEM. Not for the government to provide something additional and special.

Please explain why the school and system are to blame, when it is the student/family who are the ones that are not taking advantage of the opportunities they have.

Typical rhetoric.....blame someone other than themselves.

#6 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 10:49 AM

If there are inequalities among the resources and infrastructure of schools that are predominantly white and predominantly black/hispanic....those shoud definitely be fixed.

If both the blacks and whites are attending the same schools...have access to the same resources...have the ability to take the same classes....the responsibility is on THEM. Not for the government to provide something additional and special.

Please explain why the school and system are to blame, when it is the student/family who are the ones that are not taking advantage of the opportunities they have.

Typical rhetoric.....blame someone other than themselves.

so, that's all well and good... how do we get more kids better education?

#7 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• HUDDLER
  • 22,793 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 10:58 AM

Holy poo its not about blame. It's about working to get as many kids as possible as educated as possible for the future of our country. Saying "well your parents are crap so you are going to be crap" is not the way we are going to keep our country competitive.

#8 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:00 AM

Holy poo its not about blame. It's about working to get as many kids as possible as educated as possible for the future of our country. Saying "well your parents are crap so you are going to be crap" is not the way we are going to keep our country competitive.

in fact, i think that would fall into the category of "blaming somebody besides ourselves."

we have a bad habit of blaming individuals for institutional problems in this country.

#9 The Saltman

The Saltman

I have Returned

• Moderators
  • 24,877 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:05 AM

Maybe before you move into a country you might want to learn the language that is mostly spoken?

This coming from a family that moved to the united states legally from a foreign country and worked their but off in school and at work.

I understand that the USandA is the land of oppurtunity and mexico is a big sucketh but come on man.

yes im racist.

#10 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,485 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:09 AM

I really don't like that argument, I think it's fairly ignorant. The majority of these people are trying to escape a horrible situation in order to provide for their families, many of which don't have access to or the ability to obtain additional formal education, let along language classes. Yet people say, "Learn the language before you come here you greasy mexican bastards!!" What's so wrong with learning the language while here if it expedites your ability to better your situation?

#11 The Saltman

The Saltman

I have Returned

• Moderators
  • 24,877 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:11 AM

maybe my family had it easier then they did and you are right floppin to a certain extent.

Maybe what I said was a bit too harsh, its a hard balancing act.

I have a soft spot for people trying to to leave a country due to poor living conditions and wars.

#12 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• HUDDLER
  • 22,793 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:13 AM

In the 1800s and early 1900s millions of people came here from Italy, Germany, and countless other nations, moved into areas of high density immigrants, and died never really speaking English. Their kids learned the language.

But they weren't Mexicans.

#13 The Saltman

The Saltman

I have Returned

• Moderators
  • 24,877 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:14 AM

Tho I do not have a soft spot for people coming into the country illegally and never trying to learn the language or ever becoming legal while not paying any taxes.

#14 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:14 AM

Maybe before you move into a country you might want to learn the language that is mostly spoken?

This coming from a family that moved to the united states legally from a foreign country and worked their but off in school and at work.

I understand that the USandA is the land of oppurtunity and mexico is a big sucketh but come on man.

yes im racist.

yea maybe. but unless we're gonna kick them out of the country we need to educate them.

#15 The Saltman

The Saltman

I have Returned

• Moderators
  • 24,877 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:15 AM

I agree. it doesnt make sense tho to educate illegal immigrants if they are not paying the taxes that pay for the school and the education itself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.