Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Feds Order School District To Close Gap Between Minorities

36 posts in this topic

Posted

the way the govt spends on schools is the perfect microcosim of how bad and ineffective the govt spends money.

too many school districts fall prey to conventional wisdom and the same ole lame way of solving problems.

more money isnt the answer. just ask the Yankees. smart hires, aquistions, training, building usuage, programs, enrichment programs and so on.

i firmly believe the school system can be fixed. but there are far too many leeches at the local, state and fed level that stay employed due to the built in redundancies.

No, I completely agree that throwing money at it is not the answer, but not giving it any money isn't the answer either. You are right however that having the government manage anything is a recipe for disaster.

Posted

Yankees make the playoffs almost every year.

Posted

No, I completely agree that throwing money at it is not the answer, but not giving it any money isn't the answer either. You are right however that having the government manage anything is a recipe for disaster.

yep. there are school districts that for DECADES keeps producing the same results. then when a radical plan comes in to close a school or consolidate or make some changes, there is an outcry and people go you dont care about the kids and it goes back to status quo.

then everybody complains over coffee or cheap beer on why nobody can break free from the cycle.

Posted

Holy poo its not about blame. It's about working to get as many kids as possible as educated as possible for the future of our country. Saying "well your parents are crap so you are going to be crap" is not the way we are going to keep our country competitive.

It is EXACTLY about blame. Those doing crappy in school BLAME the system...blame the teachers...blame everyone but the one person who can actually do something about it....THEMSELVES.

If these kids are in the same schools....have the same resources...have the same classes....have the same teachers....please explain to me why it is NOT thier fault if they chose to not take advantage of them.

There are plenty of students in those very schools who are getting a good education. Why? Because they put forth the effort necessary to actually learn.

As I said, if the schools are sub-par in the lower income areas.....fix them. Invest in them. But at some point, it becomes the responsiblity of individuals to take accountability for their own education....not continue to blame someone for the fact they they don't study and won't put forth the effort.

Posted

Sorry but I don't see anything here about blame except from you. All I see is a call to make things better, education wise, for kids who we will need to run our country in 12 years or less. You just want to rant about individual responsibility and thats fine but your misdirected angst is not going to get these kids ready for anything except serving you your double whopper.

Posted

kids have to be TAUGHT work ethic and BELIEF IN EDUCATION. The South is a perfect example where one was taught at the detriment of the other.

if their parents are unwilling or incapable of teaching them these values it is NECESSARY that society teach them these things. Schools are the best place to start.

1 person likes this

Posted

kids have to be TAUGHT work ethic and BELIEF IN EDUCATION. The South is a perfect example where one was taught at the detriment of the other.

if their parents are unwilling or incapable of teaching them these values it is NECESSARY that society teach them these things. Schools are the best place to start.

this kinda goes along with a book i have been reading called Bowling Alone. A VERY comprehensive study of the break down of community in the US. its become more and more rare where there are neighborhoods where the kids go to the same school.

i could go on and on but wont. i agree, those that dont really get support at home should have a haven at school and their neighborhood to rise above.

Posted

Sorry but I don't see anything here about blame except from you. All I see is a call to make things better, education wise, for kids who we will need to run our country in 12 years or less. You just want to rant about individual responsibility and thats fine but your misdirected angst is not going to get these kids ready for anything except serving you your double whopper.

Please explain your logic as to why students that have the same classes, the same schools, the same resources, and the same teachers should now be provided something additional and special.....merely because they chose not to put forth the effort nor the time to take advantage of said resources.

If they don't care now....I will assure you that spending more money won't make them care more.

Schools are in place to provide students with the resources and opportunities to learn....you can't make a child learn who does not want to put forth the necessary effort to learn.....and merely throwing more money at that situation will not change things (no matter how much you and every other entitlement brat wants to blame the system).

The responsibility in this case lies squarely with the student and their family.

Posted

you can absolutely make a child learn.

most children are educated despite themselves.

Posted

you can absolutely make a child learn.

most children are educated despite themselves.

Parents can.....teachers cannot.

If your parents don't give a poo whether you learn or not, the kid is probably screwed....no matter what resources the school provides.

It ALL starts at home.

Posted

Parents can.....teachers cannot.

If your parents don't give a poo whether you learn or not, the kid is probably screwed....no matter what resources the school provides.

It ALL starts at home.

i understand it all starts at home. but kids can be taught to want to want to learn by others. there are millions of kids who overcome their upbringing because they were inspired by someone besides their parents. the great teachers i had in my life i can count on one hand but they influenced me HUGELY, maybe as much as my parents. I was lucky to have them... I wouldn't be the same person or where I am in my life without their influence.

telling 10 year-olds about personal responsibility has about as much effect as pissing in the ocean... you have to engage them.

Posted

i understand it all starts at home. but kids can be taught to want to want to learn by others. there are millions of kids who overcome their upbringing because they were inspired by someone besides their parents. the great teachers i had in my life i can count on one hand but they influenced me HUGELY, maybe as much as my parents. I was lucky to have them... I wouldn't be the same person or where I am in my life without their influence.

telling 10 year-olds about personal responsibility has about as much effect as pissing in the ocean... you have to engage them.

I understand you point and do agree with it to a level.

There are definitely those that buck the odds and escape a bad situation through education. However, without the parents driving them, MOST kids will not take advantage of the education that is aforded them.

I don't disagree that great teachers are a HUGE advantage. But I would bet that your parent's instilled the importance of an education in you. Without them, those teachers likely would not have been able to reach you.

I also don't disagree that programs and resources need to be aforded our students....they are our future. But, WAY TOO MANY people want to blame everyone but the student/parent for their child's failure to receive a quality education.....and most of the responsibility definitely falls on them.