Photo
- - - - -

Save the Raptor

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 rippadonn

rippadonn

Since 2006

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 06:55 PM

I stumbled on the website and saw the Langley Air Show flight http://www.f22-raptor.com/ the "First Public Flight ":eek: Amazing!

I picked this forum because so many American jobs are at stake. It's not Nerdvana but since we are debating our national budget and seem to be downsizing and cutting jobs with all the media on this topic right now what say ye?

These new drones and recent crash are making it hard for them too...but the tomcat and 16's need retirement and jobs are at stake.

Will the current administration cut it ? Should we save it?

I've never seen anything like it.

*OFFICIAL SAVE THE RAPTOR CLUB MEMBER*

If you love s*@t like this you might be a nerd. :)

Edited by rippadonn, 25 March 2009 - 06:58 PM.

#2 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,063 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 07:00 PM

greatest waste of money in air force (so that means military) history

#3 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,101 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 07:03 PM

My impression is that its a choice between buying F22's and F35s. Both are made by the same company, so does it really matter which one we buy?

#4 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 07:09 PM

Looks impressive, why do we need them again?

#5 rippadonn

rippadonn

Since 2006

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 07:14 PM

To chase down those damn UFO's.

#6 rippadonn

rippadonn

Since 2006

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 07:16 PM

More....http://news.yahoo.co...re_us/f22_crash

#7 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,101 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 07:16 PM

Looks impressive, why do we need them again?

We don't need cold war numbers of them, but we do need some of them to keep our technological edge.

Mig 35

The MiG-35 (single seat) and MiG-35D (double seat) are the "4.5+" generation multi-role fighters, exhibiting the further development of the MiG-29K/KUB and MiG-29M/M2 fighters in the field of the combat efficiency enhancement, universality and operational characteristics improvement.

The MiG-35/MiG-35D main features are the following:
– the fifth generation information-sighting systems integration into aircraft airborne avionics;
– possibility of advanced Russian and foreign origin weapons application;
– increased combat survivability due to integration of airborne integrated defense system.

State-of-the art avionics in combination with advanced weapons allow the MiG-35/MiG-35D fighters fulfill a great number of missions:
– air superiority gaining against four & fifth generation fighters;
– interception of existing and being developed air attack means;
– ground/surface targets destruction with high precision weapons without entering the air defense zone day and night in any weather conditions;
– air reconnaissance using optical-electronic and radio-technical equipment;
– participation in group actions and air control over groups of fighters.

#8 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 07:44 PM

We don't need cold war numbers of them, but we do need some of them to keep our technological edge.

Mig 35

Looks impressive. :P

I'm guessing that those are more than marginally superior to anything we have currently deployed? I guess it's a moot point anyway - as the military will continue to upgrade everything they have - but it seems to me fighters are becoming a thing of the past with more advanced missile systems.

#9 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,402 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 07:54 PM

The F-22 has much greater stealthiness, better standoff weapons, close to the same short range manuvering capabilities, better force integration...and is a lot more expensive. Basically the same as our game plan since the 60's.

We need some, but not a lot - DDII is correct. I'm no expert, but I'd throw up some F-16s controlled by JSTARS or whatever it's followup is over these guys and expect us to still come out ahead. With the F-22, these guys will not know it's there until the missiles are incoming.

#10 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,998 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 07:55 PM

Raptors scare the poo out of me...

#11 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,101 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:02 PM

Looks impressive. :P

I'm guessing that those are more than marginally superior to anything we have currently deployed? I guess it's a moot point anyway - as the military will continue to upgrade everything they have - but it seems to me fighters are becoming a thing of the past with more advanced missile systems.

I don't know if they are superior to the latest editions of the F15 or the F-18 Superbug. The point is to keep the qualitative advantage we have so that if a real threat emerges, we don't have to start over again.

I don't think they are becoming things of the past. As missiles become more advanced, so will the fighters ability to evade them. Similar to tanks and anti-tank weapons or swords and shields.

There is definitely a ongoing trend towards multirole platforms though. At least for now, the days of a aircraft that is only a fighter is gone.

#12 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 33,446 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:08 PM

With the F-22, these guys will not know it's there until the missiles are incoming.

I saw a show on Discovery once where they were testing the F-22's... they put one F-22 pilot up against the other F-22 pilots in like 8 F-15's, which they had all come from... the F-22 killed all the F-15's (simulated) and the guys in the F-15's literally never even saw the F-22 on radar or visually... and F-15's are some bad ass airplanes.

#13 engine9

engine9

shoota muhfukkaina minute

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:52 PM

Raptors scare the poo out of me...

Imagine what will happen in a few years when they come out with the velociraptor. :yikes:

#14 Ga Cat Fan

Ga Cat Fan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:09 PM

I saw a show on Discovery once where they were testing the F-22's... they put one F-22 pilot up against the other F-22 pilots in like 8 F-15's, which they had all come from... the F-22 killed all the F-15's (simulated) and the guys in the F-15's literally never even saw the F-22 on radar or visually... and F-15's are some bad ass airplanes.

I saw that same show. The F-15 pilots never had a chance against the Raptors.

#15 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 11,063 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 11:54 PM

uunnnnnnnnggggghhhhh oh god this gets me so hard fffffffff

*splurge*

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com