Photo
- - - - -

The Colts are a warning to the Panthers

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
71 replies to this topic

#61 Jangler

Jangler

oddly perched

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 26 October 2011 - 03:32 PM

You do get into a cap situation at some point, I think that's a big part of what has happened to the Colts, they had to skimp in other places so they could continue to afford Manning.

Having a QB like Manning play at a high level for as long as he has is both a blessing and a curse in the era of the salary cap. It's a blessing until he gets hurt and then all you have left is the watered-down roster you had to maintain in order to afford him.

I do fault them for not drafting a QB that they were grooming to take over the starting job for Manning, it's obvious they had very little confidence in Painter.

This is what I wonder about, is this present Panther FO (Hurney) smart enough to plan around Cams next contract? The Panthers have never had to pay a player this amount before. The last high dollar player negotiations didn't work out so well. Next year they have to start building contracts around Cams next one. I just hope they can do it, and know when to get rid of players, like NE and Pitt.

#62 HeatCheck

HeatCheck

SENIOR HUDDLER

HUDDLER

Posted 26 October 2011 - 03:36 PM

Don't think anyone is using Colts as a model franchise. Their playoff performances should speak for themselves.

#63 Real Emotional Trash

Real Emotional Trash
  • PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 26 October 2011 - 04:07 PM

Let's see, don't build around one player and be like we have been for 10 years, or build around one player like the Colts and go to the playoffs for 10 straight years.

Choices...

#64 CCS

CCS

Glutton for heart break and punishment

HUDDLER

Posted 26 October 2011 - 04:46 PM

Tony Dungy's core of talent isn't there anymore. That plus Peyton explains why the Colts suck

#65 scpanther22

scpanther22

HUDDLER

Posted 26 October 2011 - 07:35 PM

Bill Polian and Polian Jr have been drafting pretty bad lately. Its really catching up with them now that Peytons on the sideline.

#66 predryder226

predryder226

• PipPip
ROOKIE

Posted 26 October 2011 - 08:17 PM

Jon Beason, Greg Olsen, Charles Johnson, Greg Hardy, J-Stew, D-Will, Steve Smith, should I keep going?

I think you should keep going...

This thread makes this guy look like a major band wagon fan. "Cam newton is that there Carolinas only good player" says the redneck retard. GO back to watching Nascar. No wonder there is sign in your front yard that says caution special kid lives here.

#67 frash.exe

frash.exe

Freddy Frashbear

HUDDLER

Posted 26 October 2011 - 08:25 PM

the door's <---- that way mr fox.

the game has changed quite a bit the past few years. it's much more of a passing league now with rule changes and such. the rules protect the passer more and keep the DB off the WR and make it easier to pass the ball. as a result, teams are passing a lot more and it has become so that you have to have a QB that can play at a top level to even stay competitive.

if you have an average QB, then you have to have a shut down defense. if you have a below average QB, there's no way you are going to go far. defense won't win you much of anything anymore. it will only help you outscore the other team. it's your QB and the passing game that is going to decide if you win or not.

btw...plunkett was a good QB.

a lot of people automatically cite the 2000 ravens defense when justifying how important it is to have a "shut down defense" even more than having a QB and that it's more of a worthwhile investment.

...what they don't realize is that it's much harder to build a defense that only allows 165 points in a season than it is to find a reliable passing QB. Without even looking at how many points actually were scored against the ravens by fumble returns, interception returns, ST returns that's 31 less points than the 2010 Panthers offense scored.

#68 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

SUPPORTER

Posted 27 October 2011 - 07:03 AM

I think Dennis Dixon would be a good back up for Cam.

They have somewhat similar skill sets, and we wouldnt have to change the offense too much.

I think he is a FA next season too.

hm.

Agreed, they should look to bring in a backup with a similar skill set.

#69 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

HUDDLER

Posted 27 October 2011 - 09:01 AM

Agreed, they should look to bring in a backup with a similar skill set.

Given that Chud built this offense to fit around Newton but when he was in
San Diego he helped build an offense around Phillip Rivers who doesn't have the same skill sets as Newton, I don't thiink a backup with similar skill sets is necessarily the only answer. After all, who in the league has even close to Newton's size, speed, arm strength, and elusiveness and wouldn't be an automatic starter. A backup is just that for a reason. I would rather have a solid vet with a good arm and understanding of the offense as a backup than try and get a Dennis Dixon or Tavaris Jackson type QB who may be athletic but struggles making all the throws.

Chud will adapt the offense to whoever is back there. He seems good like that.

#70 Jangler

Jangler

oddly perched

HUDDLER

Posted 27 October 2011 - 09:02 AM

The Golden Calf of Bristol....:D

#71 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

Moderators

Posted 27 October 2011 - 09:42 AM

Given that Chud built this offense to fit around Newton but when he was in
San Diego he helped build an offense around Phillip Rivers who doesn't have the same skill sets as Newton, I don't thiink a backup with similar skill sets is necessarily the only answer. After all, who in the league has even close to Newton's size, speed, arm strength, and elusiveness and wouldn't be an automatic starter. A backup is just that for a reason. I would rather have a solid vet with a good arm and understanding of the offense as a backup than try and get a Dennis Dixon or Tavaris Jackson type QB who may be athletic but struggles making all the throws.

Chud will adapt the offense to whoever is back there. He seems good like that.

agreed for the most part. i said somewhere else that the backup should be someone with a big arm who is mobile and hopefully who has experience in a coryell...preferably a chud or norv turner type coryell. they don't have to be able to run the way newton does, but they do need to be able to move in the pocket and buy time with their feet.

chud could make it work with someone who was like that, but i really believe he would struggle with clausen back there the way he did with quinn in cleveland. yeah...i know they aren't the same QB, but i don't think they really fit what chud was trying to do. it would take a whole lot less work for everyone on the offense if he was able to at least make the big throws downfield.

until we can find someone a bit more mobile, i think DA is a pretty good choice for a backup. much better than clausen, anyway.

#72 jtm

jtm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 27 October 2011 - 05:30 PM

90% of the teams in the NFL are messed up if they lose their starting QB.