Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Transferring Files From One Computer to Another

27 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Can somebody tell me the easiest way to transfer a bunch of files from one computer to another? My parents have a bunch of pictures on their old computer that they want to put on a new computer they just bought. Thanks.

Posted · Report post

i say get an external harddrive then you can move them and have a backup

Posted · Report post

i say get an external harddrive then you can move them and have a backup

This. Unless you're so cheap that you'd rather e-mail the files to yourself and then download them onto the new computer.

Posted · Report post

i wouldn't spring for an external harddrive unless it's like 100 GB of photos.

you can get a 4 GB flash drive for 15 bucks.

Posted · Report post

i wouldn't spring for an external harddrive unless it's like 100 GB of photos.

you can get a 4 GB flash drive for 15 bucks.

This. Office Depot usually has cheapo thumb drives in a basket at the checkout counter.

Posted · Report post

I go for the external hard drive - make a copy of all their documents, transfer to the new PC, then squirrel the external drive away somewhere. When they accidently delete all their stuff at least you have a backup from where they started, and then once a month/quarter/year you can update the backup.

Posted · Report post

Are the two pc's connected? If so, just download an FTP application, and use that to transfer everything. Doesn't cost a thing.

Just make sure you remove the ftp app after you are done, as running ftp is unsecure.

Posted · Report post

Even if they're not on the same network you should be able to use a crossover cable and do a peer-to-peer connection. Of course this won't work if both computers aren't in the same vicinity.

Posted · Report post

I go for the external hard drive - make a copy of all their documents, transfer to the new PC, then squirrel the external drive away somewhere. When they accidently delete all their stuff at least you have a backup from where they started, and then once a month/quarter/year you can update the backup.

Ding ding. Winner winner, chicken dinner.

You can never have enough storage. I get these Seagate 500Gb external hard drives from Office Depot for about $80.00 on sale.

Posted · Report post

If it's just pictures upload them to one of the 253478569283475693 image hosting site then download them on the new comp. No need to get fancy.

Posted · Report post

If it's just pictures upload them to one of the 253478569283475693 image hosting site then download them on the new comp. No need to get fancy.

Natty, please refrain from posting erroneous info on here... there are 253478569283475694 image hosting sites...

Posted · Report post

Those sites can be hacked. Get the external....sheesh these are your parents pictures!