Photo
- - - - -

Dontari Poe DT

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#11 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

SUPPORTER

Posted 09 December 2011 - 05:56 PM

Here is the article on switching to the 3-4 defense in the future.. I think we start picking up the pieces to transition to the 3-4.. it says we are keeping the 4-3 base defense (for this year). So Poe could be the NT we are looking for.

http://www.cbssports...e-from-panthers

now the switch doesn't seem so laughable.. good find..

#12 Dollar Store Dave

Dollar Store Dave

Formerly Know As Ruff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 09 December 2011 - 09:07 PM

Here is the article on switching to the 3-4 defense in the future.. I think we start picking up the pieces to transition to the 3-4.. it says we are keeping the 4-3 base defense (for this year). So Poe could be the NT we are looking for.

Really good find.

It almost seems like we've already been picking up pieces for the 3-4, even this year.

Ron Edwards, played NT.

Thomas Keiser, played a 3-4 in college, can either be OLB or DE in a 3-4.

Applewhite, played a 3-4 in San Diego, and has played all LBs in the 3-4.

Fua, played NT in a 3-4 in college.

I don't think those moves are coincidence.

#13 holderoftruth

holderoftruth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:09 PM

This is what I've been thinking for the past month. His size is unreal but I havent seen him play. I have read scouting reports on him which actually says he isnt an ideal nose tackle though. A couple reports both agree that despite his size he is better to be used as a penetrating DT and a NT that can consistently hold two blockers at bay.

#14 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

SUPPORTER

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:39 PM

Really good find.

It almost seems like we've already been picking up pieces for the 3-4, even this year.

Ron Edwards, played NT.

Thomas Keiser, played a 3-4 in college, can either be OLB or DE in a 3-4.

Applewhite, played a 3-4 in San Diego, and has played all LBs in the 3-4.

Fua, played NT in a 3-4 in college.

I don't think those moves are coincidence.

Ron Edwards was generally perceived to be playing out of scheme in the 3-4. Keiser, I got nothing. Maybe coincidence, maybe for adaptability since we're going to use 3-4 occasionally. Applewhite, he's a guy Rivera was familiar with. Just so happened to be in a 3-4 that Rivera was familiar with him. Fua can't play NT in a 3-4 in the pros. I think just about everyone knows that.

I think we're going to be doing just what the Rivera said, no more. Occasional looks at the 3-4, but still a base 4-3. Similar to what Arizona used to do. Maybe we'll also build more toward a 3-4 for years down the road, like what Arizona has been doing. But I don't expect to see a majority of 3-4 looks anytime soon. We just don't have the linemen for it unless you neuter CJ and Hardy by making them 3-4 DEs and that's taking away our best weapons on defense. CJ + Hardy as 4-3 DEs >>>> Applewhite + Keiser as 3-4 OLBs.

#15 Jack Power

Jack Power

The Dark Knight

ROOKIE

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:26 PM

Ron Edwards was generally perceived to be playing out of scheme in the 3-4. Keiser, I got nothing. Maybe coincidence, maybe for adaptability since we're going to use 3-4 occasionally. Applewhite, he's a guy Rivera was familiar with. Just so happened to be in a 3-4 that Rivera was familiar with him. Fua can't play NT in a 3-4 in the pros. I think just about everyone knows that.

I think we're going to be doing just what the Rivera said, no more. Occasional looks at the 3-4, but still a base 4-3. Similar to what Arizona used to do. Maybe we'll also build more toward a 3-4 for years down the road, like what Arizona has been doing. But I don't expect to see a majority of 3-4 looks anytime soon. We just don't have the linemen for it unless you neuter CJ and Hardy by making them 3-4 DEs and that's taking away our best weapons on defense. CJ + Hardy as 4-3 DEs >>>> Applewhite + Keiser as 3-4 OLBs.

It would not be a bad idea to run a hybrid 4-3/3-4 if only for the simple fact that we would keep defenses on there toes. Again if Morris Claiborne is not available, I would vote that we trade down to get versatile players that would no doubt take players like Dontari Poe out of the equation but open us up to get players like Couples, Devon Still, Vinny Curry, Lavonte David, Billy Winn, Courntey upshaw, melvin ingram, Nick Perry so on...

#16 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

Administrators

Posted 10 December 2011 - 06:28 PM

Hey fugtards we arent swtiching to a 3-4.
Maybe mixing it up, but we are not switching.

#17 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

Administrators

Posted 10 December 2011 - 06:31 PM

What was the DT a couple of years ago that jumped out of a pool or some poo ?
The Bears ended up drafting him. Jason Gilbert ?

Anywho I am always wary of these Combine Heros. They rarely become something special.

#18 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

SUPPORTER

Posted 10 December 2011 - 08:40 PM

Jarron Gilbert? J something Gilbert he was a DE I think, I remember thinking he'd be worth a late round pick based on athleticism alone. Point agreed with, though.

#19 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

Moderators

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:33 PM

i like the idea of poe, but he's got ravens written all over him.

i've said it before....i'm just not thrilled with the idea of getting younger at DT. we need experience there. i think we may have done ok with the two guys we drafted this year and think that they will be better next year, but even before that i wanted to see us go after more experienced DTs. there were plenty of options. hopefully there are a couple good ones available in FA this year.

#20 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

SUPPORTER

Posted 11 December 2011 - 01:02 AM

I think getting bigger and stronger at DT is about as important as more experienced. McClain's size and speed is fine as a UT but it seems Fua is just too small and weak to anchor the NT spot. If he could get bigger and stronger he could still be the answer, but the problem with him seemed to me to be more getting blown off the line rather than not knowing assignments and nuances of the game.