Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Federal court blocks intrusive North Carolina abortion law

62 posts in this topic

Posted

A federal judge on Tuesday blocked part of new North Carolina law that requires abortion providers to show women an ultrasound and describe the images in detail four hours before having an abortion. The law also requires doctors to offer women the chance to listen to the heartbeat of the fetus.

The new law was set to take effect on Wednesday, but U.S. District Judge Catherine Eagles stopped it from being implemented until she can hear further arguments.

A coalition of groups filed a lawsuit in late September challenging the constitutionality of the law.

North Carolina lawmakers argued the law would protect women from the emotional distress caused by having an abortion by persuading them to give birth, but the judge was not convinced.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/10/25/federal-court-blocks-intrusive-north-carolina-abortion-law/

North Carolina is slowly taking over from South Carolina as the state with the dumbest lawmakers.

I'm not arguing abortion. I'm just saying how dumb the rednecks are that run this state.

At least our unemployment rate is super...

Posted

our taxes are high, unemployment is high but hey!!!!! let's make laws that will get struck down by common sense. morons

Posted

On March 10, 2010 President Barack Obama nominated Eagles to a seat in the Middle District of North Carolina that came open when N. Carlton Tilley assumed senior status. Eagles had a hearing in front of the Senate Judiciary Committee on April 16, 2010 and her nomination was reported to the full Senate on May 6, 2010. The Senate approved her nomination on December 16, 2010, during the lame duck session of the 111th Congress.

Posted

Is she creating jobs and cutting taxes in NC? I'm confused.

Posted

No...just doing her job. Stopping state legislation from the federal bench.

Posted

North Carolina lawmakers argued the law would protect women from the emotional distress caused by having an abortion by persuading them to give birth

Logic G5 can get behind.

Posted

hey g5, do you support this legislation because you feel it's "right" or do you support this legislation because your team does?

Posted

He wants more welfare babies that grow up to need to be drug tested.

Posted

hey g5, do you support this legislation because you feel it's "right" or do you support this legislation because your team does?

I support providing women to make informed choices. You know...the same women that can't figure out how to use proper birth control.

Posted

I support providing women to make informed choices. You know...the same women that can't figure out how to use proper birth control.

...new North Carolina law that requires abortion providers to show women an ultrasound and describe the images in detail four hours before having an abortion. The law also requires doctors to offer women the chance to listen to the heartbeat of the fetus.

yes this sounds totally necessary

Posted

My response not suffice? What part of the legislation has you upset.

Posted