Photo
- - - - -

Duke is no longer GREAT

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 Tweeder

Tweeder

Hark the Sound

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 06:31 AM

interesting read, and in all honesty in the ACC they are still one of the top tier programs, but when it comes to the Big Dance they have lost their "edge." They did do much better this year in the Tourney then the last couple years, is this their rise back to one of the top teir programs, or was this just a year and they go back to "rebuilding" next season?

http://www.cbssports.../story/11553775

Edited by Tweeder, 27 March 2009 - 06:33 AM.

#2 dexterpyro

dexterpyro

Huddle's Master Chef

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 08:34 AM

Its the NBA age limit rule. Coach K, and others, Do not recruit this high profile players. He beleives they need more time in his system. The devils may never when a championship again, but they will always be competitve.

As for the ACC, we are overated. our basketball has become diluted since we are trying to be a football conference. Duke, UNC, Wake Forest, Maryland are going to be decent teams year in and out, but as for the rest of the ACC, who knows. Also the NBA age rule makes a difference here too. The super recruits that would try to jump straight to the nba, know go to school for a year, and some of them stay for one or two more years.

#3 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,004 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 09:24 AM

I knew this 4 years ago. But keep in mind the expectations.
Been 5 yrs since an Elite 8 and for many, just one every 10 years is a miracle.
No Final 4 since 2003 or 2004?
This stretch is similar to after the Champ loss in 94(close loss as well) and they had a lull. Then only 7 yrs later they win the NCAA's.

I think any PG who has any kind of a great game does NOT want to go to Duke. Wojo "coaches" big men. Chris Collins..uhh..well.
Nate James played SF who was really a SG.
Wojo HAS to go. Bring in Amaker and get PG's that can play again.

#4 SMACKDAB

SMACKDAB

Banned

• Banned
  • 3,373 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 04:49 PM

They never were...

#5 panthersphan

panthersphan

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 09:23 PM

So reaching the Sweet 16 and getting 30 wins is bad?

I guess w/ Duke....you can only get worse.

It's just kind of dumb...Duke was in the Final 4 in 2004...won a National Title in 2001...which is THIS DECADE.

I bet the same guy was saying this about Carolina when they were 8-20. Things change....and oh how they can change...Hell if Duke does land John Wall...and Gerald stays...then are they not going to be great? A contender?

Not to mention, don't look now, but the 2010 class is stacking up to be pretty impressive...and now you can add Seth Curry to that list.

Duke was a #2 seed...yes, they aren't the dominate 34-2 team they were 10 years ago...but to say that Coach K will NEVER reach that "level" again is just idiotic. Don't blind yourself Duke haters, yes enjoy the loss to 'Nova, but don't all of sudden think this program is in the shitter, b/c once you start thinking that ...Hanbrough will be racking up 3.4 points per game for the Pacers...Lawson will be dishing out the dimes in the NBA and the Dukies will be cutting down the nets...it always changes...that's what's
so great about these two programs, you can always count on one (at least) to contend for the title...and it won't be long until that's Duke...and not UNC. Just like it was 6 years ago...and man did that 6 years fly by...so enjoy it Carolina fans...but don't kid yo' selves ...

Quick question: Was Duke ranked #1 this year?

#6 dimbee

dimbee

Rabble Rouser

• HUDDLER
  • 7,915 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:07 PM

They're still an elite program

#7 RedMage138

RedMage138

YES!YES!YES!

• HUDDLER
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:23 AM

14 straight NCAA appearances. That is all.

#8 mantal

mantal

• HUDDLER
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:44 AM

So reaching the Sweet 16 and getting 30 wins is bad?

I guess w/ Duke....you can only get worse.

It's just kind of dumb...Duke was in the Final 4 in 2004...won a National Title in 2001...which is THIS DECADE.

I bet the same guy was saying this about Carolina when they were 8-20. Things change....and oh how they can change...Hell if Duke does land John Wall...and Gerald stays...then are they not going to be great? A contender?

Not to mention, don't look now, but the 2010 class is stacking up to be pretty impressive...and now you can add Seth Curry to that list.

Duke was a #2 seed...yes, they aren't the dominate 34-2 team they were 10 years ago...but to say that Coach K will NEVER reach that "level" again is just idiotic. Don't blind yourself Duke haters, yes enjoy the loss to 'Nova, but don't all of sudden think this program is in the pooter, b/c once you start thinking that ...Hanbrough will be racking up 3.4 points per game for the Pacers...Lawson will be dishing out the dimes in the NBA and the Dukies will be cutting down the nets...it always changes...that's what's
so great about these two programs, you can always count on one (at least) to contend for the title...and it won't be long until that's Duke...and not UNC. Just like it was 6 years ago...and man did that 6 years fly by...so enjoy it Carolina fans...but don't kid yo' selves ...

Quick question: Was Duke ranked #1 this year?

Duke is an elite program, no question about it. Also no doubt that they are going through a downturn, which will certainly be reversed. They were ranked #1 this year mainly based upon the bias of years past. Not a problem, they deserved it for that. With high success comes high expectations. Panther fans, Duke and Carolina fans should know that better than most...

#9 Falcons1stPanthers2nd

Falcons1stPanthers2nd

• HUDDLER
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 09:01 AM

Duke is an elite program, no question about it. Also no doubt that they are going through a downturn, which will certainly be reversed. They were ranked #1 this year mainly based upon the bias of years past. Not a problem, they deserved it for that. With high success comes high expectations. Duke and Carolina fans should know that better than most...

Fixed

#10 mantal

mantal

• HUDDLER
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 09:21 AM

Fixed

No, broken...

#11 Falcons1stPanthers2nd

Falcons1stPanthers2nd

• HUDDLER
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 11:21 AM

No, broken...

:D who said the NFL rivalry can't cross into other forums lol

#12 X-Clown

X-Clown

Positive Polly

• HUDDLER
  • 5,406 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 12:08 PM

Fixed

Shouldn't you change your name to Panthers1stFalcons2nd after the way the NFC South race shook out last year? :D

#13 Falcons1stPanthers2nd

Falcons1stPanthers2nd

• HUDDLER
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 12:37 PM

Shouldn't you change your name to Panthers1stFalcons2nd after the way the NFC South race shook out last year? :D

It's not meant to indicate division standings. I was born and lived in Greensboro for 7 years before moving to Atlanta. This was prior to Carolina getting a franchise so i became a Falcons fan and a UNC fan. Kind of fun explaining that when everyone calls me a bandwagon fan.

#14 X-Clown

X-Clown

Positive Polly

• HUDDLER
  • 5,406 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 01:39 PM

It's not meant to indicate division standings. I was born and lived in Greensboro for 7 years before moving to Atlanta. This was prior to Carolina getting a franchise so i became a Falcons fan and a UNC fan. Kind of fun explaining that when everyone calls me a bandwagon fan.

I knew that it wasn't meant to indicate division standings....otherwise you would have been Falcons 4th the year before last.

#15 Htar

Htar

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 05:07 PM

Dook is elite and will be as long as K is there. They've missed on some recruiting targets...It happens.

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com