• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#1 RockyTopVol

RockyTopVol

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 02:08 PM

ESPN confirms that Billy G has been fired from UK. Hopefully this will set the program back even further!!
I wonder if there is any truth to the rumor that Billy Donovan will be their new guy.

#2 dimbee

dimbee

Rabble Rouser

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,884 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 02:11 PM

Don't worry RockyTop... we'll still sweep your ass again next year

#3 RockyTopVol

RockyTopVol

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 02:14 PM

Not if you hire Eddie Munster. Pearl is 7-1 against him...including the national championship years.

#4 JakeFlake

JakeFlake

The King of Kings

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 02:24 PM

Early names that have been mentioned on the radio (that I have heard) are Jay Wright and Travis Ford.

#5 RockyTopVol

RockyTopVol

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 02:27 PM

I don't know who would want to take a job with expectations like those at Kensucky. I know he isn't that charismatic with the boosters, or whatever, but this guy should have been given longer than two season. What about those 13 year olds that he's already gotten to commit??

#6 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 02:35 PM

I don't know who would want to take a job with expectations like those at Kensucky. I know he isn't that charismatic with the boosters, or whatever, but this guy should have been given longer than two season. What about those 13 year olds that he's already gotten to commit??

A lot of behind the scenes stuff that wasn't made public. Bob Knight type behavior. Players were threatening to transfer left and right. One mother said her son, one of our best players, would not return if Gillispie returned.

He could get away with that at Texas A&M. Not at Kentucky. He was our Matt Doherty. By the way, UNC won a title two years after canning Doherty.

#7 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • 3,668 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 02:56 PM

Wow. If they get Jay Wright...look out SEC.

#8 dimbee

dimbee

Rabble Rouser

• HUDDLER
  • 7,884 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 03:01 PM

Billy Donovan cometh

#9 RockyTopVol

RockyTopVol

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 03:01 PM

If it's Donovan, I'm okay with that. See, we'd have to play him twice a year anyway, so it doesn't matter where he is. Plus, it might be harder for Florida to find as good of a coach as it would be for Kentucky. Does that make sense? It does in my head.

Billy G is not my coach. He's just a girl, claims that I am the one. But the kid is not my son.

#10 mantal

mantal

• HUDDLER
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 03:03 PM

Billy Donovan cometh

He'd be a good one, if he doesn't get buyers remorse again...

#11 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 03:10 PM

He'd be a good one, if he doesn't get buyers remorse again...

This is what I heard. My boss has connections and has even met the AD, Pitino, Gillispie, and several others personally....

Donovan wanted to come last time. But he felt like he couldn't. Not after winning back to back titles at Florida. He went back to Florida, thought "what am I doing?" and took the Magic job. Then he was all confused and went back to Florida again.

Gillispie was brought on without even being interviewed. UK was trying to save face because nobody out there wanted to replace Tubby Smith, who is one of the most respected college coaches out there. So they took a flier on Gillispie and from the beginning it was a disaster.

* Blew off the most important booster function his first year. Not only did he blow it off, he didn't bother to respond. We're talking a room full of big money boosters wondering "WTF?"

* Liked being single and was out late at night often....and supposedly likes much younger ladies (not illegal age, but still...30-something year old coach dating coeds? Come on.)

* Refused to teach a zone defense. Doesn't believe in it. So we lost to Gardner Webb and VMI at home early on the last two seasons because we didn't have a basic staple defense in our repertoire.

There are other things, but those are the big three.

#12 X-Clown

X-Clown

Positive Polly

• HUDDLER
  • 5,168 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 03:52 PM

* Liked being single and was out late at night often....and supposedly likes much younger ladies (not illegal age, but still...30-something year old coach dating coeds? Come on.)

That's interesting and not the first time I've heard it. A buddy of mine said that Billy on his first weekend at one of the local bars that he was approaching coeds and giving them the line of "Don't know you know who I am? I'm the new UK basketball coach."

#13 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 03:55 PM

On top of all that, he looks like Squiggy from Laverne and Shirley.

#14 God

God

Attitude

• HUDDLER
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 03:56 PM

Replace one NIT coach with ANOTHER NIT coach!

YEAH!

#15 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 04:04 PM

Donovan just said he's out. Crap.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.