Photo
- - - - -

Billy G OUT at Kentucky

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
118 replies to this topic

#16 RockyTopVol

RockyTopVol

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 04:21 PM

that was quick. here comes travis ford!

#17 dimbee

dimbee

Rabble Rouser

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,915 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 08:52 PM

Well, there is a clause in Donovan's contract that he can't talk to other universities unless that university asks Florida for permission. No permission has been requested, so what is Billy supposed to say?

I had already said that Billy D coming to UK is a pipe dream.

#18 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 09:55 PM

Some of the stuff that's coming out about Gillispie is pretty alarming. Surprised every player didn't transfer from UK the last two years.

#19 dimbee

dimbee

Rabble Rouser

• HUDDLER
  • 7,915 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 10:00 PM

No kidding.

#20 dimbee

dimbee

Rabble Rouser

• HUDDLER
  • 7,915 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 10:01 PM

At this point, I like Travis Ford. Yeah, he's young and raw, but he knows what UK basketball is all about. Something that Billy G either could not understand or refused to

#21 ladypanther

ladypanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,290 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 10:02 PM

This is what I heard. My boss has connections and has even met the AD, Pitino, Gillispie, and several others personally....

Donovan wanted to come last time. But he felt like he couldn't. Not after winning back to back titles at Florida. He went back to Florida, thought "what am I doing?" and took the Magic job. Then he was all confused and went back to Florida again.

Gillispie was brought on without even being interviewed. UK was trying to save face because nobody out there wanted to replace Tubby Smith, who is one of the most respected college coaches out there. So they took a flier on Gillispie and from the beginning it was a disaster.

* Blew off the most important booster function his first year. Not only did he blow it off, he didn't bother to respond. We're talking a room full of big money boosters wondering "WTF?"

* Liked being single and was out late at night often....and supposedly likes much younger ladies (not illegal age, but still...30-something year old coach dating coeds? Come on.)

* Refused to teach a zone defense. Doesn't believe in it. So we lost to Gardner Webb and VMI at home early on the last two seasons because we didn't have a basic staple defense in our repertoire.

There are other things, but those are the big three.

Seems like it would not take a 3 digit IQ to know better than that.

#22 dimbee

dimbee

Rabble Rouser

• HUDDLER
  • 7,915 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 10:07 PM

Not to mention Billy G has/had the most unorthodox substitution scheme... if it can be called a scheme.

#23 RockyTopVol

RockyTopVol

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 10:18 PM

[ame][/ame]

#24 dimbee

dimbee

Rabble Rouser

• HUDDLER
  • 7,915 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 10:30 PM

That reporter was being a complete douche. POS to run after a dude that he knows has lost his job to get in a question that he knows won't be answered.

#25 DWill

DWill

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:25 PM

A lot of behind the scenes stuff that wasn't made public. Bob Knight type behavior. Players were threatening to transfer left and right. One mother said her son, one of our best players, would not return if Gillispie returned.

He could get away with that at Texas A&M. Not at Kentucky. He was our Matt Doherty. By the way, UNC won a title two years after canning Doherty.

I'll bet you $1,000 UK doesn't win a title two years from now. I'll extend this offer to any other UK fan that wants some.

#26 DWill

DWill

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:29 PM

That reporter was being a complete douche. POS to run after a dude that he knows has lost his job to get in a question that he knows won't be answered.

Your 100% correct that was a douche move but damn it was funny.

#27 RockyTopVol

RockyTopVol

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 10:39 AM

the whole rest of the KY fan base is like that crazy reporter (who thinks he's a member of the paparazzi).
why would any up and coming coach ever want to take that job?

#28 dimbee

dimbee

Rabble Rouser

• HUDDLER
  • 7,915 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 01:26 PM

why would any up and coming coach ever want to take that job?

Because it's Kentucky Basketball. If it was a team like Tennessee with no expectations or tradition, then such pressure would be ridiculous. It's Kentucky. It demands a particular type of personality as well as winning.

#29 DWill

DWill

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 01:57 PM

Because it's Kentucky Basketball. If it was a team like Tennessee with no expectations or tradition, then such pressure would be ridiculous. It's Kentucky. It demands a particular type of personality as well as winning.

So did Indiana, once upon a time.

#30 RockyTopVol

RockyTopVol

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 02:25 PM

They drove Tubby Smith (a great coach) out of town, and now they aren't even giving this guy a third season. It isn't even like Billy G had a horrible year.
If I'm a great college basketball coach right now, I'm not even considering Kentucky. Sure, they've got tradition, but they haven't finished better than 4th in the SEC East for four years in a row. It isn't like they are extremely relevant anymore. Though, the fans feel entitled. It's almost a rebuilding project to get them back to what they're expected to be. Oh, and there is a tiny amount of time that they'll give you to work the magic.
If they blow it on this hire, they'll be the next Indiana.

http://jay-mariotti....ky-fried-chaos/

Edited by RockyTopVol, 28 March 2009 - 02:30 PM.
added a link

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com