Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

African-americans celebrate death of 4 cops

154 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

wait, so when my "Obama as chimp" jpeg is done, it won't be met with the same hilarious laughter that "Bush as chimp" was met with???

Posted · Report post

Well why did you have to point out that she was black? Why couldn't you just refer to her as a girl and not specify what race she was? The reason is that one of the stereotypes about black people is that they're loud in movie theaters. And when you point out that the girl in question was black, you're seen as supporting and reinforcing that stereotype.

Yes you are, but that doesn't make you a racist. Any more than saying "some woman on her cellphone almost ran into me on the road today" makes you a sexist or "some gay guy got mad at me for farting" makes you a homophobe.

Posted · Report post

Granted, but if you REALLY think black people in general are loud in movie theaters, it does make you prejudiced somewhat.

Posted · Report post

Well, if you REALLY think black people in general are loud in movie theaters, it does make you prejudiced somewhat.

We are ALL prejudiced. Some more than others. Some a LOT more than others. But racist is a different thing altogether. And the term today is applied with the same ease that chauvinist was applied in the 70s.

I'll admit it. When I sit in a movie theater and African American females sit close by, I want to move to the opposite side of the theater. And nine times out of 10 I end up wishing I had. But I don't walk out of the theater thinking I am superior to black people. I just think our cultures are different. I paid 10 bucks to see a movie, I want to hear the movie. I don't think that makes me an evil racist, though some on this board will disagree. Then they will turn around and denigrate some other group of people. That's where I have a problem. The "I'm better than you because you have stereotypes that I don't" mentality.

Posted · Report post

We are ALL prejudiced.

This is absolutely true, and I was thinking that when I used the word prejudiced. I'm not sure it's exactly what I wanted to use that situation.

I think there's a difference between someone who will only date brunettes (in that situation you quite literally have a prejudice against girls with any other hair color) and finding yourself buying into certain stereotypes which lead you to be wary of blacks in a movie theater or Arabs on an airplane. But that's just my opinion.

Posted · Report post

This is absolutely true, and I was thinking that when I used the word prejudiced. I'm not sure it's exactly what I wanted to use that situation.

I think there's a difference between someone who will only date brunettes (in that situation you quite literally have a prejudice against girls with any other hair color) and finding yourself buying into certain stereotypes which lead you to be wary of blacks in a movie theater or Arabs on an airplane. But that's just my opinion.

Maybe, but I fail to see the harm with some stereotypes. For instance, if a black person doesn't want to go to a NASCAR race because of his stereotypes of NASCAR fans...what's the harm? If three black women come sit two seats away from me in the theater and I want to sit somewhere else...what's the harm? There is no victim in either of these cases.

Now if you are an employer and you'll only hire certain people, THEN there is a problem.

Posted · Report post

Maybe, but I fail to see the harm with some stereotypes. For instance, if a black person doesn't want to go to a NASCAR race because of his stereotypes of NASCAR fans...what's the harm? If three black women come sit two seats away from me in the theater and I want to sit somewhere else...what's the harm? There is no victim in either of these cases.

Now if you are an employer and you'll only hire certain people, THEN there is a problem.

Yeah, one you're just an azzhole, the other you're breaking the law...

Posted · Report post

Yeah, one you're just an azzhole, the other you're breaking the law...

touche :P

Posted · Report post

Maybe I should've put "community" between amercians and celebrate. Maybe I should've just left it as activists, but I was just being more descriptive. I mean...this is the same community whose school board had one of the most ignorant resolutions ever considered.

I just wish you'd use the n bomb and get it over with.

Of course these are just Obama's street toughs we're talking about.

Posted · Report post

I just wish you'd use the n bomb and get it over with.

Of course these are just Obama's street toughs we're talking about.

Why do you hate white people.

• Masters of PIE !

• Recent Comments