#1 Panther17

Panther17

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:36 AM

http://www.cbssports...der-weinke-isnt

It takes place this past summer as the lockout was raging. Newton and Ponder both studied under quarterback guru Chris Weinke -- himself a former Heisman winner at Florida State -- who is director of the IMG Madden Football Academy. Newton had worked out earlier that day and heard from Weinke that Ponder was throwing later that afternoon. "Can I run routes for him?" Newton asked Weinke.

Sure, Weinke said. So there they were. Ponder, who would become a first-round pick for the Vikings, throwing to Newton, who would become the first overall pick for the Panthers. Soon, because the two men are extremely competitive, they began challenging each other in small ways. Ponder put extra effort in making his throws crisp and accurate because he knew Newton had earlier. Then Newton offered a challenge of his own.

"I'm going to fly down the sideline," Newton told Ponder, "and I bet you can't reach me."

Ponder smiled. "Yeah, I can."

So Newton took off down the sideline, full speed. "Let me tell you something," Weinke remembered, "for a guy his size, he can fly."

Newton kept running. And running. And running some more. Ponder let the ball fly and it went 55 yards in the air. He reached Newton, all right. Newton stretched his lengthy frame and caught the pass one-handed in the end zone.

"I just stood there shaking my head," Weinke said. "The athleticism of both of them ..."

#2 smitty_89

smitty_89

Panther for Life

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:38 AM

We def need to have some trick plays where Cam is lined up as a WR...didn't he catch a TD pass when he was in Auburn?

#3 UNCrules2187

UNCrules2187

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:40 AM

We def need to have some trick plays where Cam is lined up as a WR...didn't he catch a TD pass when he was in Auburn?

Indeed he did:

Posted Image Posted Image

#4 chef17

chef17

Senior Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,503 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:42 AM

That's pretty cool

#5 csx

csx

• HUDDLER
  • 7,125 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:43 AM

We def need to have some trick plays where Cam is lined up as a WR

no

#6 nickzz

nickzz

o

• HUDDLER
  • 2,763 posts

Cam is one of the best athletes in all of sports

#7 Mvp2014

Mvp2014

Phenom

• HUDDLER
  • 3,687 posts

finally Jimmy can get a throw in!

#8 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,645 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:44 AM

settle down....Armanti throws to Cam. Clausen has water cooler duties to tend to.

#9 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • 14,161 posts
  • Location704

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:45 AM

how old are you?

#10 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

WARNING: Do not annoy!

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,205 posts
  • LocationLa Grange, NC

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:47 AM

You know, I think that one article says a lot about Cam.

Cam had already done two 90 minute classroom sessions that day, on top of his own workout throwing the ball. He was done for the day. He could have gone home and sat on a couch, but instead, he asks "Can I run routes?" for a player that was competing in the same draft he was in.

The dude loves football, man. Whoever made the JaMarcus comparisons should be hung on a goalpost by their underwear.

#11 Shufdog

Shufdog

• HUDDLER
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:48 AM

Can you imagine?

"Clausen to Newton for the Touchdown!!"

This place would implode! :lol:

#12 NorthTryon

NorthTryon

Pay The Man

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:52 AM

Chris Weinke is the next QB guru

#13 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 38,433 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:54 AM

Fun story.

Of course, the opposing coaches are former teammates too.

#14 Pantherball

Pantherball

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 11:03 AM

You know, I think that one article says a lot about Cam.

Cam had already done two 90 minute classroom sessions that day, on top of his own workout throwing the ball. He was done for the day. He could have gone home and sat on a couch, but instead, he asks "Can I run routes?" for a player that was competing in the same draft he was in.

The dude loves football, man. Whoever made the JaMarcus comparisons should be hung on a goalpost by their underwear.

Great article but I just love it when people say things like this. I would really like to know which #1 draft pick went home and sat on the couch?

I wanna know the guy that did this and still got drafted #1 or even top 5. Extra effort isn't an accomplishment in those situations folks, it's a must. It's expected. If you wanna point out a hard worker, show me the guy who is putting in extra hours and doing things like this when he's team is 0-15 on the last week of the season. Then I will be impressed.

#15 UNCrules2187

UNCrules2187

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 11:05 AM

Great article but I just love it when people say things like this. I would really like to know which #1 draft pick went home and sat on the couch?

I wanna know the guy that did this and still got drafted #1 or even top 5. Extra effort isn't an accomplishment in those situations folks, it's a must. It's expected. If you wanna point out a hard worker, show me the guy who is putting in extra hours and doing things like this when he's team is 0-15 on the last week of the season. Then I will be impressed.

JaMarcus Russell. It's right there in the post you quoted.

Posted Image

Yes, that is a bag of Skittles in his pants.

Case closed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com