• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 CardiacCats

CardiacCats

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,384 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 03:43 PM

After a busy week, never really found time to do this into now, late, I know but I'm sitting here doing nothing right now and I enjoy typing these up so let's get to it. After a nice win Sunday, and two more winnable games coming up I see us picking in the 6-15 range, hard to predict with this team. I could see us finishing from 4-12 to 8-8 at this point.

Biggest Needs: DT, RT, OLB, WR, CB

Pretty big shakeup as far as biggest needs go this week as well, Jeff Otah is now out for the year, again and I've always been a big fan of his but we have to pull the plug now. It's also hard to get a fair judgement on rookie Byron Bell right now too, if you would have told him in April he was going to be a starting right tackle in the NFL in the 2011 season he would have laughed in your face. He's looked pretty bad so far, but let's see how he develops first, one of those guys I really hope makes it and he has shown some signs of potential.

1) Alshon Jeffery, WR, South Carolina, Junior - 6'4" 229 lbs
2010 stats: 88 catches, 1517 yards, 9 TD
2011 stats (so far): 30 catches, 451 yards, 5 TD
I still like Blackmon, but he's not gonna be available when we're picking. I had a real hard time deciding who to put at #1 this week, I like Ta'amu but if we have a chance to pick up a guy like Jeffery that can be Cam's #1 for the next 15 years with LaFell and Gettis as the 2 and 3 you can't pass that up. It would be our best chance to pick up Cam's future #1, we'll start winning too much after this season. Most all of you guys have seen jeffery play on multiple occasions, he can leap and makes spectacular catches in mid-air. One knack on him is he looks a little out-of-shape in some pictures you may see, he runs around a 4.5 which is pretty good, but some of this stuff he does at South Carolina won't work at the next level. He's still a great talent though.

2) Vontaze Burfict, LB, Arizona State, Junior - 6'3" 250 lbs
2010 stats: 89 tackles, 2 FF
2011 stats (thus far): 36 tackles, 4 sacks, 1 INT
I still think there's a very good chance we could possibly move to the 3-4 next year, if we do Burfict could be a great pickup. The sky seems to be the limit for this guy, but he just makes idiotic plays at times and thinks he should be running the team. There's no denying the athletic talent and potential, but I just have a bad feeling about this kid, hopefully good defensive coaching like Rivera should be able to offer could shape this kid into the player he has potential to be, which is someone opposing offensive players will fear for years to come.

3)1) Alamenda Ta'amu, NT/DT, Washington, Senior - 6'3" 337 lbs
2010 stats: 39 tackles, 1.5 sacks
2011 stats (so far): 18 tackles, 1.5 sacks
Even though I dropped him to 3, I still like this guy a lot, especially for a 3-4 system. He would be an instant upgrade over Fua, but there are better players in the draft and going with the "BPA" rule seems to work better than reaching for a guy more times than not. Just, guys like Jeffery, Burfict, and Jenkins put us in better shape long term. We should be able to pick up a decent DT in free agency and Ron Edwards will be back next year, only way to take this guy is if he falls to us in the second or we trade back. I like him better for us than Thompson though.

4) Riley Reiff, RT, Iowa, Junior - 6'6" 300
Really hard to make a judgement on this guy, such a high risk/high reward situation. Don't think for a second I'm putting Reiff over Matt Kalil, Kalil is easily the best tackle in the draft but he's projected to go second overall where we're not going to be picking. The next best tackle is Reily Reiff of Iowa who is projected as a top-15 pick right now. He seems to have all the talent to be a great player in the league, so what's the downfall? He's been arrested on alcohol charges I think three times already. That's about as big of a red flag as yoyu can find, it seems as if he has started to grow up but I would still be very cautious of this kid. Similar to Janoris Jenkins, a lot of talent but trouble just finds him off the field. He still has to be at the top of our draft board right now and I don't care what anyone says.

5) Janoris Jenkins, CB, North Alabama, Senior - 5'11" 186
2010 season (Florida): 43 tackles, 3 TFL, 1.0 sack 3 INT
I couldn't decide if I wanted to put Jenkins or Zach Brown here, but the more I look at it I just don't think Zach Brown is a good fit in our system if we stay in the 4-3 and if we move to the 3-4, Burfict would obviously be the better pick. So I'm putting Jenkins on the list again, I'm hearing very positive reviews on him and if it weren't for his drug problems and he was still at Florida, he would easily be projected to go in the top 10 right now. He could be a huge steal but could also turn out an Adam "Pacman" Jones so it's a very similar situation with both him and Reiff. Both have the talent but trouble seems to follow them, all I know is the more film I watch the more I like Jenkins. I know a lot of you think we're set at corner and if we add Jenkins we might start to overflow, but I don't think any of the guys on the roster right now can be a successful #2 in the league, Jenkins would be though. Just my two cents. Set at cornerback but John Beck tore us up Sunday?

#2 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

• HUDDLER
  • 6,197 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 08:13 PM

I'm actually falling off the Jeffrey bandwagon. He still looks solid with great potential, but there are definitely some concerns, and a greater bust potential than I'd like at this point. If we can't get Blackmon (don't think he'll fall past the Rams), I say we should go for RT, DT or CB.

I've usually seen Reiff 3rd behind Kalil and the guy from Stanford, so we should have a pretty good prospect available at RT. Upper half of the draft is a little high for a RT, but I wouldn't feel too bad about picking for this position in the 8-15 range.

I'm still real low on Ta'amu. He still doesn't look nearly as dominant as a guy his size should be. He gets pushed around too much. Thompson has been improving in my eyes. Think he would be a fine pick in the 15-20 range.

If Jenkins falls to the 2nd, sure pick him. If we're picking CB in the 1st, I'd much rather Claiborne. I'd be ok with Claiborne any time after #5 or so. Otherwise, wait til round two when guys like Cliff Harris or Winnifield might be available.

I'd really only be ok with a LB if we trade down and are picking after 20. Burfict looks really talented and I imagine Rivera could keep him in line if anyone can. I'd also rather have Kuechley than Brown (assuming Kuechley can transition to OLB, which it looks like he could).

#3 CardiacCats

CardiacCats

• HUDDLER
  • 3,384 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 08:25 PM

I'm actually falling off the Jeffrey bandwagon. He still looks solid with great potential, but there are definitely some concerns, and a greater bust potential than I'd like at this point. If we can't get Blackmon (don't think he'll fall past the Rams), I say we should go for RT, DT or CB.

I've usually seen Reiff 3rd behind Kalil and the guy from Stanford, so we should have a pretty good prospect available at RT. Upper half of the draft is a little high for a RT, but I wouldn't feel too bad about picking for this position in the 8-15 range.

I'm still real low on Ta'amu. He still doesn't look nearly as dominant as a guy his size should be. He gets pushed around too much. Thompson has been improving in my eyes. Think he would be a fine pick in the 15-20 range.

If Jenkins falls to the 2nd, sure pick him. If we're picking CB in the 1st, I'd much rather Claiborne. I'd be ok with Claiborne any time after #5 or so. Otherwise, wait til round two when guys like Cliff Harris or Winnifield might be available.

I'd really only be ok with a LB if we trade down and are picking after 20. Burfict looks really talented and I imagine Rivera could keep him in line if anyone can. I'd also rather have Kuechley than Brown (assuming Kuechley can transition to OLB, which it looks like he could).

I <3 Kuechly, but I don't think he's near athletic enough to play OLB in the NFL, we're in a bit of a tough spot here and if the draft were tomorrow we probably would be looking to trade down. Te'o would have a better shot at converting to OLB than Kuechly though.

#4 CPF4LIFE

CPF4LIFE

• HUDDLER
  • 4,475 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 08:41 PM

Yeah if we dont bring Davis back were gonna need somebody to cover Jimmy Graham for the next couple of years. That alone got me considering LB first pick.

#5 CardiacCats

CardiacCats

• HUDDLER
  • 3,384 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:21 PM

Yeah if we dont bring Davis back were gonna need somebody to cover Jimmy Graham for the next couple of years. That alone got me considering LB first pick.

But let's just say we pick at 10...what LB do we take? The only one that makes sense is Burfict and he still has red flags, I almost like the guy from Oklahoma better than all of them as far as what we need. Whether it's trading back or getting him in the second. Seems like RT could be the best possibility at this point pending how the CBs look the rest of the year

#6 dc6738549

dc6738549

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 11:02 PM

Te'o is really good, probably a top 20 pick.

#7 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• HUDDLER
  • 17,407 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 29 October 2011 - 01:29 AM

I don't see DT as a draft need, prob not CB either depending on Hogan.

OLB, LT (move Gross to RT), FS are the biggest needs, could make a case for WR if Blackmon is still there.

Burfict is a string of personal fouls waiting to happen, give me Zach Brown and we'll have the LB Corps we should have had this season.

And we're not moving to a 3-4 base.

Edited by Jackofalltrades, 29 October 2011 - 01:32 AM.

#8 Cracka McNasty

Cracka McNasty

WWNPHD?

• HUDDLER
  • 3,593 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 11:35 AM

Vontaze Burfict is a monster, I would LOVE to have him on the team.

Blackmon and Burfict are the 2 guys I would love for us to draft.

#9 GamecockSmitty4

GamecockSmitty4

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 12:20 PM

I want Casey Hayward (CB) from Vanderbilt. He's projected to go around the 4th round and IMO is one of the best cover corners in the nation. Vandy leads the nation in INTS and he leads the team with 5 (almost had 3 more already in the Arkansas game in the first half) and had 6 last year to go along with 70 tackles and 17 passes defensed.

Edited by GamecockSmitty4, 29 October 2011 - 12:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.