Photo
- - - - -

How Long Can Steve Smith and Deangelo Williams Play in the NFL?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
47 replies to this topic

#37 SuperMan

SuperMan

I'm always holding back.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 30 October 2011 - 10:08 AM

Willams has anther 550-600 touches before he wears down.

#38 CRA

CRA

Moderators

Posted 30 October 2011 - 10:12 AM

Thomas Jones ran for over 1400 yards at 32 a couple seasons ago, the age isn't the issue here by the time most backs reach 30 they have almost 2,000 touches it wearing them down.

yes, that is called an exception to the rule......Thomas Jones stands out like a sore thumb.

Those thinking Williams will also be an exception to the rule ignore the fact that he had more touches in college than Stewart did in colllege + his rookie + his 2nd year in the NFL. Willliams was overused in college.....you don't see RBs in today's NFL with the college mileage DeAngelo had. The 30 wall looks to hit DeAngelo like it has so many others.

he is already the 2nd best RB on this team......with 2 years until he hits 30. I didn't say he wouldn't play....but he will be looking for a role as depth at 30+. Betting on anything other than that is DeAngelo homerism.

#39 CRA

CRA

Moderators

Posted 30 October 2011 - 10:14 AM

Sad that this is the truth so quickly. It wouldn't surprise me if we tried to deal DW in the offseason b/c JStew will want to get paid and can't have all our money tied up with two backs.

who wants to trade for a 29 year old RB with a fat contract.....my guess is no one.

#40 Sword

Sword

Ninja Pirate

HUDDLER

Posted 30 October 2011 - 10:22 AM

yes, that is called an exception to the rule......Thomas Jones stands out like a sore thumb.

Those thinking Williams will also be an exception to the rule ignore the fact that he had more touches in college than Stewart did in colllege + his rookie + his 2nd year in the NFL. Willliams was overused in college.....you don't see RBs in today's NFL with the college mileage DeAngelo had. The 30 wall looks to hit DeAngelo like it has so many others.

he is already the 2nd best RB on this team......with 2 years until he hits 30. I didn't say he wouldn't play....but he will be looking for a role as depth at 30+. Betting on anything other than that is DeAngelo homerism.

It's not the handoffs that hurt the RB its the beating they take when they get the ball in their hands. Don't you think college carries are a little different then NFL carries ..I mean half the time he was running wild and not taking a beating racking up record numbers in memphis..he was also just a pup and i doubt any effects from carries so early in his career are going to effect him now. I'd be worried if he had a 300 carry season at this age from the amount of hits he would be taken from NFL caliber players, but in this system he won't be sniffing that.

#41 CRA

CRA

Moderators

Posted 30 October 2011 - 10:27 AM

It's not the handoffs that hurt the RB its the beating they take when they get the ball in their hands. Don't you think college carries are a little different then NFL carries ..I mean half the time he was running wild and not taking a beating racking up record numbers in memphis..he was also just a pup and i doubt any effects from carries so early in his career are going to effect him now. I'd be worried if he had a 300 carry season at this age from the amount of hits he would be taken from NFL caliber players, but in this system he won't be sniffing that.

not really....DeAngleo played 4 years at Memphis being the offense. You think the pounding Stewart got as a NFL rookie puts more wear on this tires than what Williams did as a senior?

Smitty can slow down.....and still find the field in an evolved role. Smitty knows that...that is why he points to Donald Driver's career. When a RB slows down....they find the bench. NFL history has proven that overall

Edited by CRA, 30 October 2011 - 10:30 AM.

#42 nosuchthingasapanther

nosuchthingasapanther

SUPPORTER

Posted 30 October 2011 - 10:28 AM

who wants to trade for a 29 year old RB with a fat contract.....my guess is no one.

after next season, it's possible carolina will have already paid williams 75% of his contract.

it may not be too hard to trade him.

#43 Herbert The Love Bug

Herbert The Love Bug

Stripper Name: Bo Dangles

HUDDLER

Posted 30 October 2011 - 10:31 AM

I don't see Smith slowing down anytime soon to be honest. I'm not sure about Deangelo. But the good thing is, running back is an easy position to fill through the draft.

#44 Sword

Sword

Ninja Pirate

HUDDLER

Posted 30 October 2011 - 10:31 AM

not really....DeAngleo played 4 years at Memphis being the offense. You think the pounding Stewart got as a NFL rookie puts more wear on this tires than what Williams did as a senior?

i think stewart has been hit more in his career just because he initiates a lot of that contact.

#45 CRA

CRA

Moderators

Posted 30 October 2011 - 10:35 AM

after next season, it's possible carolina will have already paid williams 75% of his contract.

it may not be too hard to trade him.

possible....but I doubt it. Then making it a 5 yr deal makes little sense.....

#46 CRA

CRA

Moderators

Posted 30 October 2011 - 10:39 AM

i think stewart has been hit more in his career just because he initiates a lot of that contact.

well obviously Stewart's style isn't going to lead for a record long career......

but what Williams did his senior year in college was much much much more work/damage to his body than Stewart's rookie year IMO. College reps matter at that position IMO.

#47 Sword

Sword

Ninja Pirate

HUDDLER

Posted 30 October 2011 - 10:46 AM

well obviously Stewart's style isn't going to lead for a record long career......

but what Williams did his senior year in college was much much much more work/damage to his body than Stewart's rookie year IMO. College reps matter at that position IMO.

I'm just saying from what I saw of his college career, he was just running free and not even getting touched..I guess if you watched his senior year and saw him take some big hits..

#48 nosuchthingasapanther

nosuchthingasapanther

SUPPORTER

Posted 30 October 2011 - 10:52 AM

there's not a single issue that determines how long an rb's career will last. it's a combination of a number of things.