• Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

panthersphan

Any chance Duke lands John Wall?

This is a highlight I would think as well.

There are pros and cons to playing college ball with one of these guys, right? If you play with them you have a great chance to go deep in the tournament. You play without them, perhaps you get more exposure?

It really doesn't even matter about the exposure.

I just want to go to a team that needs a point guard. That's where I'm trying to come in. I'm trying to be the missing piece to a team.

I don't want to come in and be the person they have to go to every key play because for a freshman that would be kind of tough. I wouldn't mind taking challenges but I'm going to be honest, it's going to be a tough one as a freshman, going through so many games, travelling.

So to have some veterans on the team and you come in and be the missing piece, that's going to be [what I'm looking for].

Is he still planning on going to Miami? I thought that was his only visit scheduled for this weekend.

Is he still planning on going to Miami? I thought that was his only visit scheduled for this weekend.

John Wall did have a visit set up to go to Duke. It was supposed to happen following Calipari's visit with John Wall.

Evidently, something happened during the Calipari visit that caused John Wall to cancel his visit to Duke. Brian Clifton, John's AAU coach, called Duke and told them that the visit would not happen.

Reports today have Wall saying that he will visit Miami and then take no other visits. While I do trust that John feels that way today, I would not be surprised to see him take a visit to Duke sometime next week. He may not, but then again, he may. There are forces working to get Duke that visit and they could possibly get it done.

Wall's visit to Miami is not something most people seem to be worried about. Sources close to the situation are saying that the visit is not a big deal. It still seems to be UK and Duke, with UK ahead at this point, but things could always change.

The reports that Coach K called off the visit due to a book signing are silly and not accurate. I can't imagine anyone believing that a school so desperate for a PG like Duke would cancel a visit with the top PG in the class. Also, reports that Calipari told Wall "My last PG was just named Rookie of the Year and Duke's PG is trying to make the NFL" are funny, but also not true.

Wall did speak to Derrick Rose yesterday, and what he heard made him very happy based on what I've been told.

At this point, UK fans should feel good, but realize that Duke is a player and could come from behind once again to land Wall. Don't sleep on Duke......

http://www.truebluekentucky.com/index.php/basketball/910-premium-basketball/1111-what-is-the-deal-with-john-wall.html

*tips hat*

I mean I don't know how you can say that when he has only had 3 years to coach and he was trying to build a team with players that he didn't even recruit. You can make the argument that Costner, McCauley, and Fells were our "best players" but you would be wrong. Talent doesn't always mean you are the best player on the team if you don't work with your teammates. Too often I saw those three players sulking on the bench or on the floor for them to be called our best players.

Nobody would be giving Lowe crap if he hadn't succeeded Herb Sendek. But the fact of the matter is that Lowe is essentially rebuilding a program that had stalled under Herb because of the lack of athleticism that Herb was recruiting. We couldn't keep up with the more athletic teams in the conference (Duke and UNC) and it showed...

Sid Lowe is a good coach and when he gets the players he will be a great coach I have no doubt. Just for reference lets look at some notable coaches at the beginning of their careers:

Coaches with losing records in the league (1st 3 years):

Jim Calhoun - UCONN - National Champion

Lefty Driesell - Davidson

Bobby Cremmins - Tech

Mike Krzyewski - Duke - National Champion

John Calipari - UMASS - Final Four (multiple times)

Norm Sloan - National Champion

Jim Valvano - National Champion

My point is that it takes time to give a completely new face to a program. Sid has had some really bad luck at NC State with injuries, close losses, etc..and everyone seems to forget that in his first season he beat Wake, Duke, and Carolina without the top FIVE scorers from the previous season.

The only team that he has had that underachieved according to the talent level was the team with Hickson on it. If you remember correctly our starting PG tore his ACL and has never been the same since (we beat Nova that year with a full roster and then it was downhill after that). Give him a year with a talented PG and you will see what this team can accomplish...

Tell that to Billy Gillespie......Bottom line is that if Lowe wasn't loved as a player for NCSU and lives and dies Wolfpack red, he would have been fired this year....It is kind of amazing in the same time Sendek left and has made a really bad ASU team a top 20 team, while Lowe is struggling to get out of the basement of the ACC

Carolina fans lived this same reality with John Bunting......The guy was well respected as a player back in the day, and bleeds Carolina Blue which put him on life support for 2 years after they should have pulled the plug on his coaching days in Carolina

It is kind of amazing in the same time Sendek left and has made a really bad ASU team a top 20 team, while Lowe is struggling to get out of the basement of the ACC

I've thought that very thought several times myself... I wonder how much of the Wolfpack brood would take Sendek back and give Lowe the boot? Assuming Sendek were to come knocking

Tell that to Billy Gillespie......Bottom line is that if Lowe wasn't loved as a player for NCSU and lives and dies Wolfpack red, he would have been fired this year....It is kind of amazing in the same time Sendek left and has made a really bad ASU team a top 20 team, while Lowe is struggling to get out of the basement of the ACC

Carolina fans lived this same reality with John Bunting......The guy was well respected as a player back in the day, and bleeds Carolina Blue which put him on life support for 2 years after they should have pulled the plug on his coaching days in Carolina

Look at their records...they have virtually the same record and Sendek hired James Harden's entire entourage for him to come to ASU. With Sean Miller at Arizona now Herb will get NOBODY to come to ASU and he will be a mediocre 8 or 9 seed in the tournament every year with a second round exit. If Herb was here we wouldn't have even gotten sniffs from Derrick Favors, Dermarcus Cousins, Lorenzo Brown, John Wall, or any of the other top recruits we were after or got to sign. We would have the same old slow perimeter players and perimeter oriented big men that we always got and Herb would continue to get blown out.

Don't talk to me about Herb please...he is a good coach but will not make your program what you want it to be unless you have been in the cellar for your entire existence (a la ASU). Not to mention ASU fans were getting pissed at the end of the year how he blew the PAC 10 tournament, lost a bunch of games at the end, and his players never seemed to attack the basket. Hmm...sound familiar?

To expect Sidney Lowe to come in and win with the players that he had here is stupid.

#1 - Its the ACC, not the Pac 10

#2 - He didn't get future NBA lottery picks at every position to coach

#3 - He moved from the NBA to college which is a completely different game to coach

Need I go on?? Don't lecture me about wanting Herb Sendek back because only the small-minded basketball fan looks at Herb Sendek as a coach that they want. Why you may ask?? Because he can't recruit...Sidney has done more for recruiting at NCSU than Herb ever did and as we all know its about the players you put on the floor more often than not..

but yet Sendek took NCSU who was still in the ACC to like 5 straight NCAA Tourney appearances before he left and won the ACC coach of the year if I remember correctly and took them to the ACC Championship game 2 or 3 times, and while Lowe took them once it was with all of Sendek's players

and you say that Sendek wouldn't have gotten sniffs from all of these recruits, but yet Lowe did not get any of them with the exception of Brown and let the others slip away. Also, last time I checked Costner, Fells and Simmons were all high recruits that were signed by Sendek. So, my thought process is that you had a personal grudge against him and do not like him or his style of play. Whatever it was do not think that NCSU will be finally calling for Lowe's head if he cannot get out of the cellar and make strides to keep up with Carolina and Duke....Again I think this will be a case where NCSU keeps him about 2 years two long out of emotional feelings rather than Coaching abilities, and then that will set the program back another 3 years

Edit: Also, Sendek has had a top 20 recruiting class at ASU and your "recruiting" coach has not sniffed the top 35 in Basketball heaven of the ACC

but yet Sendek took NCSU who was still in the ACC to like 5 straight NCAA Tourney appearances before he left and won the ACC coach of the year if I remember correctly and took them to the ACC Championship game 2 or 3 times, and while Lowe took them once it was with all of Sendek's players

and you say that Sendek wouldn't have gotten sniffs from all of these recruits, but yet Lowe did not get any of them with the exception of Brown and let the others slip away. Also, last time I checked Costner, Fells and Simmons were all high recruits that were signed by Sendek. So, my thought process is that you had a personal grudge against him and do not like him or his style of play. Whatever it was do not think that NCSU will be finally calling for Lowe's head if he cannot get out of the cellar and make strides to keep up with Carolina and Duke....Again I think this will be a case where NCSU keeps him about 2 years two long out of emotional feelings rather than Coaching abilities, and then that will set the program back another 3 years

You CANNOT fire a coach after three years. Think about this...our starting lineup in the last year that Sendek was here was:

Tony Bethel - Senior

Cameron Bennerman - Senior

Cedric Simmons - Sophmore turning Pro

Engin Atsur - Junior

Ilian Evtimov - Senior

3 Seniors, a future lottery pick, and a Junior starting and Herb won 22 games and got bounced in the second round of the tournament by 20 points.

Bench:

Fells

Grant

McCauley

Brackman

We lost our top 4 players and our 6th man from that year (Bennerman, Bethel, Simmons, Evtimov, and Brackman). Guess how many games Herb won including the postseason...22 games. Guess how many Sidney won the very next year with a cast of guys that had never started...20 games. And that was with Engin Atsur injured for the first 12 games of the season. He was by far our most experienced player and leader). We haven't had a PG since Atsur left.

I am one of those who wanted Herb gone personally. I was sick of losing the top tier athletes in favor of the slow 6'6''+ guys that couldn't drive to the basket and couldn't stop a fast break. I wanted to play fast paced basketball with fast athletes. However there are those that wanted Herb to stay...specifically our Athletic Director who offered him a raise but Herb wanted about 20% more than what we offered him and we said no. What had he done to earn a raise anyways?? NCAA tournaments and bust doesn't get you a raise when you took over a decade or so after an NCAA championship and trying to restore it to the level of what a legend had made it. People were/are still hungry for that and Herb wasn't cutting it.

The biggest mistake was not hiring Sidney. If you knew anything about the NCSU coaching search you would know that it was botched beyond belief by the moron who runs our AD. The media put the blame on the fans but in reality Herb left on his own accord and tried to use the fans as a scapegoat because he was a bitch. The guy went 8-48 against the Tobacco Road rivals...not even beating Wake Forest very often. Sure he could get to the ACC champ every once in a while but he would inevitably lose.

IMO what Sid did was admirable. He did not take the job because he was looking to take the job. He was actually on the search committee and when things were getting tight he decided to leave his job in the NBA and come take over NCSU. He knew he wasn't our first choice and he knew he was going to deal with the most ridiculous fans East of Lexington, KY. But he did it anyways and has outdone what Herb did in his first 3 years here and is getting players interested in this program that Herb NEVER would have had interested (b/c of his personality and playing style). He has sent a player to the NBA in his first two years, will send a lot more to the NBA, and b/c of that we will get players and win a lot of games.

Let NCSU fans worry about Sid Lowe/Herb Sendek (which in most minds has been put to bed) and you guys can worry about whatever it is that consumes you in Orange County.

You CANNOT fire a coach after three years. Think about this...our starting lineup in the last year that Sendek was here was:

Tony Bethel - Senior

Cameron Bennerman - Senior

Cedric Simmons - Sophmore turning Pro

Engin Atsur - Junior

Ilian Evtimov - Senior

3 Seniors, a future lottery pick, and a Junior starting and Herb won 22 games and got bounced in the second round of the tournament by 20 points.

Bench:

Fells

Grant

McCauley

Brackman

We lost our top 4 players and our 6th man from that year (Bennerman, Bethel, Simmons, Evtimov, and Brackman). Guess how many games Herb won including the postseason...22 games. Guess how many Sidney won the very next year with a cast of guys that had never started...20 games. And that was with Engin Atsur injured for the first 12 games of the season. He was by far our most experienced player and leader). We haven't had a PG since Atsur left.

I am one of those who wanted Herb gone personally. I was sick of losing the top tier athletes in favor of the slow 6'6''+ guys that couldn't drive to the basket and couldn't stop a fast break. I wanted to play fast paced basketball with fast athletes. However there are those that wanted Herb to stay...specifically our Athletic Director who offered him a raise but Herb wanted about 20% more than what we offered him and we said no. What had he done to earn a raise anyways?? NCAA tournaments and bust doesn't get you a raise when you took over a decade or so after an NCAA championship and trying to restore it to the level of what a legend had made it. People were/are still hungry for that and Herb wasn't cutting it.

The biggest mistake was not hiring Sidney. If you knew anything about the NCSU coaching search you would know that it was botched beyond belief by the moron who runs our AD. The media put the blame on the fans but in reality Herb left on his own accord and tried to use the fans as a scapegoat because he was a bitch. The guy went 8-48 against the Tobacco Road rivals...not even beating Wake Forest very often. Sure he could get to the ACC champ every once in a while but he would inevitably lose.

IMO what Sid did was admirable. He did not take the job because he was looking to take the job. He was actually on the search committee and when things were getting tight he decided to leave his job in the NBA and come take over NCSU. He knew he wasn't our first choice and he knew he was going to deal with the most ridiculous fans East of Lexington, KY. But he did it anyways and has outdone what Herb did in his first 3 years here and is getting players interested in this program that Herb NEVER would have had interested (b/c of his personality and playing style). He has sent a player to the NBA in his first two years, will send a lot more to the NBA, and b/c of that we will get players and win a lot of games.

Let NCSU fans worry about Sid Lowe/Herb Sendek (which in most minds has been put to bed) and you guys can worry about whatever it is that consumes you in Orange County.

:iamwithstupid:

you cannot fire a coach after 3 years, and I agree 100% with that.....It is a shame that a lot of coaches do get fired before the 4th year

Thing I have no problem with is the fact Carolina got rid of a "Carolina" guy when they let go of Doherty and he could recruit(3 players in the top 10 overall)......He just could not coach or handle his recruits, Carolina saw this as a problem and even though he resigned he was pretty much forced out by Dick Baddour and Boosters because they saw where the program was headed with a ton of talent and did not like it.

Then you saw where Kentucky let go of a guy they only had for 2 years, but Kentucky saw the direction of the program was going and decided it was time to part ways.

Difference between the two Basketball Elites is one was in the "Family" the other was not.

Also, what you call admirable shows that Lowe is loved by the Wolfpack community and has bought Lowe extra time.....otherwise he would have been gone after this season. That folks is what us Carolina Fans call the Bunting Factor

you cannot fire a coach after 3 years, and I agree 100% with that.....It is a shame that a lot of coaches do get fired before the 4th year

Thing I have no problem with is the fact Carolina got rid of a "Carolina" guy when they let go of Doherty and he could recruit(3 players in the top 10 overall)......He just could not coach or handle his recruits, Carolina saw this as a problem and even though he resigned he was pretty much forced out by Dick Baddour and Boosters because they saw where the program was headed with a ton of talent and did not like it.

Then you saw where Kentucky let go of a guy they only had for 2 years, but Kentucky saw the direction of the program was going and decided it was time to part ways.

Difference between the two Basketball Elites is one was in the "Family" the other was not.

Also, what you call admirable shows that Lowe is loved by the Wolfpack community and has bought Lowe extra time.....otherwise he would have been gone after this season. That folks is what us Carolina Fans call the Bunting Factor

The other factor that you aren't considering is that both Doherty and Gillespie were PR nightmares. It was out in the open that neither of those guys had the people skills to manage a basketball program. Doherty chastised his players to the point where people thought he was maniacal. Gillespie was abrasive and rude to reporters...calling them stupid etc. The fact that they lost was one reason they were fired but with the classes that Doherty was bringing in they would have given him one more year if he hadn't been an absolute PR nightmare...same with Billy G. Sid doesn't have that problem...everyone loves his personality and he treats everyone around NCSU with respect and courtesy.

:iamwithstupid:

If you want to explain why you think what I said was stupid then feel free. Until then I will assume you have no idea what you are talking about...

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    David Teper

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts