• Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

panthersphan

Any chance Duke lands John Wall?

To unicar: didn't feel like quoting that long ass thing :lol:

Why wouldn't he go to NCSU? He'd be the most talented player on the team. Starting, chance to showcase his ability to the NBA. Seems like a win for both parties.

The rumors have been rampant about Wall wanting to stay in the state of NC because of the health of his mother. So that leaves UK out of it, if that were true. I'm guessing he'll end up at UNC or dook. I leave out NC State, because they are a mess. What player in their right mind would want to play there? CJ Leslie even withdrew his verbal. I think Wall is waiting on an offer from UNC, which he won't get unless/until Lawson goes pro. For anyone specualting that Wall would not come to UNC if Lawson leaves...you are nuts. Wall would NOT start over Lawson and wherever he goes, he WANTS to start. He could start at dook immediately because their PG's stink and he would instantly make dook a legitimate top 5 team next year (provided Henderson and Singler do indeed stay). He would start immediately over LD II at UNC (provided he is as good as advertised). LD II will be a good PG down the road but he's not an elite talent like Wall.

To unicar: didn't feel like quoting that long ass thing :lol:

Why wouldn't he go to NCSU? He'd be the most talented player on the team. Starting, chance to showcase his ability to the NBA. Seems like a win for both parties.

Those are my sentiments exactly. To those who actually watch NCSU and don't just read the bias local newspapers that have a love affair with UNC (and not so much Duke) you would know that Tracy Smith was one of the most impressive offensive big men in the ACC at the end of the year. In most games he would play 20 or so minutes and end up with 20 points...You can't deny that production. Not to mention his production came without a PG creating anything for him, it was essentially him backing his man in and shooting over him. I personally think that Wall, Lorenzo Brown, and Tracy Smith would be as good a 1-2-5 duo as there was in the ACC.

I know that UNC is convinced that Tyler Zeller, Ed Davis, and all the young guys they have coming in would still be better but I wouldn't go that far. IMO if State got Wall (and a top 5 recruiting class with him) they would be amongst the best in the ACC, fighting with Duke and UNC for 1-2-3. Without him we are probably in that 4-5-6 range...

Another thing that the naysayers say about Sid Lowe say that he runs too slow of an offense for Wall to play in but once again this is said by those that don't watch NCSU on a regular basis. His goal coming in was to establish a fast paced NBA style offense with long athletic perimeter players. What he inherited was exactly the opposite...I would have liked to see anyone try to run and gun with Brandon Costner and Ben McCauley as your best players...Its just not possible, their games didn't translate into that kind of offense. Throw in there that the best PG that Sid has had thus far was Engin Atsur who was injured for 12 games out of that season and you don't exactly have a recipe for success. His vision will come to fruition whether it is with Wall or Harrow (2010 commit) and I have a ton of confidence in him.

Has UNC even offered Wall yet? Kind of hard to see him going to UNC when there is no offer for him. I think that Carolina is the only team of interest that has not offered him yet. Could that be the reason why he is waiting to choose a school?

Those are my sentiments exactly. To those who actually watch NCSU and don't just read the bias local newspapers that have a love affair with UNC (and not so much Duke) you would know that Tracy Smith was one of the most impressive offensive big men in the ACC at the end of the year. In most games he would play 20 or so minutes and end up with 20 points...You can't deny that production. Not to mention his production came without a PG creating anything for him, it was essentially him backing his man in and shooting over him. I personally think that Wall, Lorenzo Brown, and Tracy Smith would be as good a 1-2-5 duo as there was in the ACC.

I know that UNC is convinced that Tyler Zeller, Ed Davis, and all the young guys they have coming in would still be better but I wouldn't go that far. IMO if State got Wall (and a top 5 recruiting class with him) they would be amongst the best in the ACC, fighting with Duke and UNC for 1-2-3. Without him we are probably in that 4-5-6 range...

Another thing that the naysayers say about Sid Lowe say that he runs too slow of an offense for Wall to play in but once again this is said by those that don't watch NCSU on a regular basis. His goal coming in was to establish a fast paced NBA style offense with long athletic perimeter players. What he inherited was exactly the opposite...I would have liked to see anyone try to run and gun with Brandon Costner and Ben McCauley as your best players...Its just not possible, their games didn't translate into that kind of offense. Throw in there that the best PG that Sid has had thus far was Engin Atsur who was injured for 12 games out of that season and you don't exactly have a recipe for success. His vision will come to fruition whether it is with Wall or Harrow (2010 commit) and I have a ton of confidence in him.

No doubting your loyalty, but NCS will never be in the top three with Lowe at HC...He doesn't have it.

No doubting your loyalty, but NCS will never be in the top three with Lowe at HC...He doesn't have it.

I mean I don't know how you can say that when he has only had 3 years to coach and he was trying to build a team with players that he didn't even recruit. You can make the argument that Costner, McCauley, and Fells were our "best players" but you would be wrong. Talent doesn't always mean you are the best player on the team if you don't work with your teammates. Too often I saw those three players sulking on the bench or on the floor for them to be called our best players.

Nobody would be giving Lowe crap if he hadn't succeeded Herb Sendek. But the fact of the matter is that Lowe is essentially rebuilding a program that had stalled under Herb because of the lack of athleticism that Herb was recruiting. We couldn't keep up with the more athletic teams in the conference (Duke and UNC) and it showed...

Sid Lowe is a good coach and when he gets the players he will be a great coach I have no doubt. Just for reference lets look at some notable coaches at the beginning of their careers:

Coaches with losing records in the league (1st 3 years):

Jim Calhoun - UCONN - National Champion

Lefty Driesell - Davidson

Bobby Cremmins - Tech

Mike Krzyewski - Duke - National Champion

John Calipari - UMASS - Final Four (multiple times)

Norm Sloan - National Champion

Jim Valvano - National Champion

My point is that it takes time to give a completely new face to a program. Sid has had some really bad luck at NC State with injuries, close losses, etc..and everyone seems to forget that in his first season he beat Wake, Duke, and Carolina without the top FIVE scorers from the previous season.

The only team that he has had that underachieved according to the talent level was the team with Hickson on it. If you remember correctly our starting PG tore his ACL and has never been the same since (we beat Nova that year with a full roster and then it was downhill after that). Give him a year with a talented PG and you will see what this team can accomplish...

Damn Unicar, are you a salesman? If not, you should be. You make a very convincing argument for a coach that has done absolutley nothing so far.

Damn Unicar, are you a salesman? If not, you should be. You make a very convincing argument for a coach that has done absolutley nothing so far.

Those coaches had done absolutely nothing with the exact same amount of time...You can't judge a coach until he has had 5 seasons. That is the risk you take with hiring a new coach with a new vision. Do you think I am happy with the production from the State program thus far? Not exactly...But I am willing to give him time to recruit and put everything into it that he needs.

How different do you think his tenure would be if he landed Wall for example?? I mean all it takes is one kid to turn your program around..especially if you are a Tobacco Road school. Josh Howard and CP3 at Wake, Johnny Dawkins at Duke and the list goes on...

Those coaches had done absolutely nothing with the exact same amount of time...You can't judge a coach until he has had 5 seasons. That is the risk you take with hiring a new coach with a new vision. Do you think I am happy with the production from the State program thus far? Not exactly...But I am willing to give him time to recruit and put everything into it that he needs.

How different do you think his tenure would be if he landed Wall for example?? I mean all it takes is one kid to turn your program around..especially if you are a Tobacco Road school. Josh Howard and CP3 at Wake, Johnny Dawkins at Duke and the list goes on...

Well, there is nothing wrong with having some faith, but for every one of those coaches that had a rough start, but then had success, you could find ten others that had a rough start and never got much better. I guess we will find out which category Lowe really fits in to in the next two years, if he lasts that long.

The thing is that it will take more than a few one and done type of players to get to the top of this league. Wall would not turn them around anymore than Hickson did. They just don't have the depth of talent to benefit and that is the true tell of the tape...Until Lowe can bring in a top 5 class consistently, cause K and Roy will, he's not going to succeed.

This is from Meyers on rivals.com

It has been rumored that Wall has always wanted to play for North Carolina. A rift, however, between UNC coach Roy Williams and Wall's travel team coach Brian Clifton kept Wall and the Tar Heels apart up to this point. But recently it has become more apparent that Wall truly will make his own decision and that he just might prefer to stay close to home and his mother. Hence a phone call from Williams during the Final Four and an eagerness of Wall to meet with Williams.

The thing is that it will take more than a few one and done type of players to get to the top of this league. Wall would not turn them around anymore than Hickson did. They just don't have the depth of talent to benefit and that is the true tell of the tape...Until Lowe can bring in a top 5 class consistently, cause K and Roy will, he's not going to succeed.

The thing is that one player like that CAN bring you a lot of success in one year and with Ryan Harrow possibly CJ Leslie, Luke Cothron, and others in 2010 you will start to see constant success. Sometimes it takes one player to change the way a program is perceived...Hickson was completely different because he was a big man that could not dictate a game. PGs are completely different...

This is from Meyers on rivals.com

It has been rumored that Wall has always wanted to play for North Carolina. A rift, however, between UNC coach Roy Williams and Wall's travel team coach Brian Clifton kept Wall and the Tar Heels apart up to this point. But recently it has become more apparent that Wall truly will make his own decision and that he just might prefer to stay close to home and his mother. Hence a phone call from Williams during the Final Four and an eagerness of Wall to meet with Williams.

Like I said...Jerry Meyer is a tool and thought that Wall was a lock to follow Clifton. He writes his articles almost completely based on rumors and hearsay. John Wall might have been a fan of UNC at one point but it would really surprise me if he was still a "fan" of any team considering he has been courted by every big time school in the country. What kid didn't grow up wanting to play for UNC or UCLA??

He's not the only one who reported that Wall was planning on meeting with Williams. I believe inside Carolina also posted it in a story as well. I'm just posting the info as I see it though, so everyone who doesn't follow recruiting can keep up with everything going on.

He's not the only one who reported that Wall was planning on meeting with Williams. I believe inside Carolina also posted it in a story as well. I'm just posting the info as I see it though, so everyone who doesn't follow recruiting can keep up with everything going on.

But saying "its rumored that Wall has always wanted to play for UNC..." is hearsay...not reporting. It has never come out of Walls mouth that he always wanted to play for UNC. Some say that he grew up as a Tarheel fan but that is hardly something to print....its the same thing as me saying he should come to State because his mom is a huge NC State fan. It just doesn't make any sense to base a decision on that.

John Wall interview. I'll put in some highlights pertaining to recruiting.

Are you starting to feel the pressure about making a college deciison?

Yeah, it's a lot of pressure. Talking to some of these guys, some these guys want me to play with them. I'm getting recruited by [uNC commit] John [Henson], and I'm getting looked at by Carolina, DeMarcus [who is going to Kentucky], I've been talking to him for awhile. Mason [Plumlee] is talking about Duke.

Then Xavier [Henry who is still uncommitted] too. It's pretty tough, it's just going to have to come down to where I feel most comfortable.

Your home state team UNC just won the NCAAs. Does that influence your decision at all?

Nah, not really, you know they haven't really started recruiting me that hard yet. [it's nice] just to see them have so many good players come out lately. But the state of Carolina, Chris Paul I think was the last great player to come out. For them [uNC] to bring it back, to get the state back on this map, and then for me to come up as the player I am, it means a lot.