Photo
- - - - -

Would you rather be born black or white in America right now?

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#46 Kitten Diver

Kitten Diver

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,824 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:38 AM

I dont know about under 5'6" but there are plenty of WASPs and Jews in the NorthEast that are average height Ivy League grads and very wealthy fwiw

Dont know what that line up for employment has to do with women being gold-diggers, but if you showed her that line up with asset totals she'll go with the money.

#47 Epistaxis

Epistaxis

• HUDDLER
  • 4,184 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:54 AM

being super short but fabulously wealthy is a non-starter for even the gold-diggiest.

ask 'em

#48 Kitten Diver

Kitten Diver

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,824 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:05 PM

I was discarding the extreme anomalies

#49 Gazi

Gazi

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,831 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:23 PM

Anyone seen that Chalky family dinner scene in Boardwalk Empire? :lol:

#50 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • 8,747 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:38 PM

White male or female I could go either way.

#51 Inimicus

Inimicus

Life is better in a kayak

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,136 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:56 PM

dunno what happened here...
6'4" white male and Im still a workin stiff.

I DEMAND SOMEONE GIVE ME MY ADVANTAGES!!!!

#52 fitty76

fitty76

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts
  • LocationMint Hill

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:36 PM

Hey if your black and you get a corporate job your chances of getting fired are less than a white person's. Companies don't want to deal with a discrimination lawsuit.

#53 logic1977

logic1977

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 04:08 PM

I honestly think people blow affirmative action way out of proportion. I think it would help more on school admissions than on the job. And once you get in you still have to pull your weight.

Can you find examples of someone who only has their job because of their race, sure but it was always hyped way more than reality. Now when I was in school, it used to piss me off, and I wrote several papers debating the need and validity of it. I even was told by several organizations when i graduated high school that had I not been a white male, they would have gladly awarded me scholarships.

But now that I've been in the work place a while, I still think it is wrong but i think it has so little impact that there isn't any need to get worked up over it.

Edited by logic1977, 02 November 2011 - 06:10 PM.

#54 fitty76

fitty76

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts
  • LocationMint Hill

Posted 02 November 2011 - 04:16 PM

I had a HR rep. of a major corporation admit that this does go on.

#55 pantherfan49

pantherfan49

Angry inventor

• HUDDLER
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:52 PM

I honestly think people blow affirmative action way out of proportion. I think it would help more on school admissions than on the job. And once you get in you still have to pull your weight.

Can you find examples of someone who only has their job because of their race, sure but it was always hyped way more than reality. Now when I was in school, it used to piss me off, and I wrote several papers debating the need and validity of it. I even was told by several organizations when i graduated high school that had I not been a white male, they would have gladly awarded me scholarships.

But now that I've been in the work place a while, I still think it is wrong but i think it has so little impact that there isn't any need to get worked up over it.

Do you think where you went to school can have an impact on whether you get certain jobs?

#56 pantherfan49

pantherfan49

Angry inventor

• HUDDLER
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:54 PM

White male or female I could go either way.

This isn't a discussion about your sexual preferences.

#57 logic1977

logic1977

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:43 AM

Do you think where you went to school can have an impact on whether you get certain jobs?

Absolutely.

But that to me isn't the question. The question is more do you think enough people are not only getting into a school they would otherwise not be qualified for, but are also able to complete the coursework required to graduate to really provide a disadvantage to others? I'm not buying that.

#58 CarolinaAllDay

CarolinaAllDay

NY Panther's Fan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:04 AM

Spanish.

They get the welfare treatment of blacks, yet actually have jobs (although illegial) like whites.

Call me Guillermo

#59 Kitten Diver

Kitten Diver

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,824 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:06 AM

But that to me isn't the question. The question is more do you think enough people are not only getting into a school they would otherwise not be qualified for, but are also able to complete the coursework required to graduate to really provide a disadvantage to others? I'm not buying that.

Yes. let me be a little more specific on scenarios.

The black/hispanic kid with a 4.9 gpa, good to great sat/act and gets scholarships to ivy league/duke/stanford. Can he/she hack it and do they deserve the opportunity? yes.

The black/hispanic kid that gets a full ride to unc/uva/clemson with a 3.0 and average sat/act... Do they deserve a scholarship over a white kid with a 4.2 gpa and 85th percentile sat/act? no
Also this second group is the one that is likely to fail out in their first year as well.

#60 CarolinaNCSU

CarolinaNCSU

• HUDDLER
  • 5,154 posts
  • LocationRaleigh

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:09 AM

I'm with Louie on this one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com