Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alshon Jeffery to Panthers?

49 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I'll admit I haven't watched Jeffery a whole lot but does he have nfl speed? I've never seen him get good separation. SEC or not, it seems like NFL DBs would be stuck all over him.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='natty']I'll admit I haven't watched Jeffery a whole lot but does he have nfl speed? I've never seen him get good separation. SEC or not, it seems like NFL DBs would be stuck all over him.[/QUOTE]

In a word: [I]yes[/I].

The guy can drive down the field fast. 4.4 is his hi 40 time, with an average in the lo 4.5's. Blackmon is a tad faster accelerator, but Jeffery certainly has the speed to run by DB's and then some. Those long legs on that 6'4" frame certainly help too.

Posted · Report post

He may time 4.4, but he plays a lot slower.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Jackofalltrades']He may time 4.4, but he plays a lot slower.[/QUOTE]

There is absolutely nothing that warrants this, nor gives it any shred of credibility.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Jackofalltrades']Blackmon is better, just accept it.[/QUOTE]

Did I ever say that Jeffery was better? Just accept the fact that Alshon is better than you give him credit. Actually, if I had to pick between the two, I'd want Blackmon for this offense (mostly because he can take over for Smith and Lafell is already a possession type receiver...also because I think Blackmon is a bit better than Alshon). But for all of you who say that Alshon is gonna be a bust, can't run, and is the same as Williams and Jarrett, that's just ridiculous. As for the speed...like I said, he's not a burner. But these two teams had some pretty good speed in their defensive backfield:

[yt]Er6FGmmGvho[/yt]

[yt]QCZL5Alph7g[/yt]

He's got a few more...a couple against Vandy, Clemson, Auburn, ECU, Alabama, etc. Again, he's not a burner, but that's not his game either. He's a possession receiver and can stretch the field with his amazing jump-ball ability. And several defenders have been caught making the same mistake as fans saying he's slow. He's deceptively fast. Here's some more highlights against the eventual national champions (go to 1:50 to see another play where he starts to break away) and some against Dre Kirkpatrick and the Alabama D (go to the 1:50 mark here too to see him make Kirkpatrick look foolish):

[yt]TG_l0XJ8ksQ[/yt]

[yt]5bpHPzu_wEM[/yt]

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Cat'sGrowl']There is absolutely nothing that warrants this, nor gives it any shred of credibility.[/QUOTE]

Other than watching the videos and seeing damn near everyone catch him.

Posted · Report post

Jeffrey would be an awesome TE.

Posted · Report post

Speed is not his game. Although, he's faster than Sidney Rice. And he has better jump-ball skills than Sidney. But I guess Sidney sucks too?

Posted · Report post

Sidney suck? No, but there are several that are better.

This is like arguing about Tebow with a Florida homer.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='GamecockSmitty4']Speed is not his game. Although, he's faster than Sidney Rice. And he has better jump-ball skills than Sidney. But I guess Sidney sucks too?[/QUOTE]

Give it up, GS4, he's axe grinding. He isn't going to see the facts you've presented, he's going to look at your screen name and ignore everything else. He obviously had some kind of awkward problem with USC, and it bleeds into his posts whenever a Gamecock is brought up as a possible draftee.

Ironically enough, every Tarheel that hits the waiver wire or Sooner that is there for the picking is somehow the final cog to our team.

As I said, ignore him. JOAT's a good poster but it would seem he's more of a college guy than a pro fella because his opinion on schools affects his judgement of prospects.

Posted · Report post

Dude, I said that I would rather have Blackmon. I'm just trying to show you that just because you hate Alshon doesn't mean he sucks. I mean scouts love Alshon's ability and that is their job. I highly doubt that you get paid to scout receivers. And if you're telling me that there is a better receiver out there than Sidney Rice (I'm talking about Alshon) and you don't want him then you, my friend, are a hater.

And before you try the "homer" crap again, I'll go ahead and tell you right now that Stephon Gilmore is one of the most overrated CB's I've seen in a long time. But Alshon is a darn good WR and I'm not sure if it's jealousy, envy, or what that has you hating on him but he is much better than you think. I mean the dude straight abused Dre Kirkpatrick (a surefire first-round pick) last year. But I guess that's not enough?

Posted · Report post

It has nothing to do with being from USC, I'm just not as in love with him as the Gamecock fans here.

I don't want Coples, didn't want Quinn or Loafholt when he came out. Thought AP was too risky given his injury history, etc.