9 replies to this topic

#1 Gazi

Gazi

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,798 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:57 AM

A conservative-leaning panel of federal appellate judges on Tuesday upheld President Barack Obama's health care law as constitutional. All those damn activist judges.. wait, what?!

#2 Nicks To The Colts

Nicks To The Colts

►►►►►

• HUDDLER
  • 8,878 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:06 PM

I would have LOL'd if the individual mandate would have been overturned but the pre-existing conditions stuff would have held up.

Health insurance Cos: We need to get rid of the provisions of this law!

*court overturns indiv. mandate, keeps pre-existing conditions ban*

Health insurance Cos: Hey hey whoa hold on not that one

#3 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• HUDDLER
  • 21,703 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 01:21 PM

Awesome soon there will be abortions for everyone!

#4 pantherfan49

pantherfan49

Angry inventor

• HUDDLER
  • 5,153 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:17 PM

The DC Circuit is a well-respected court so the SCOTUS may give some weight to this.

I don't like the opinion though. :( Rights, what rights?

“The right to be free from federal regulation is not absolute, and yields to the imperative that Congress be free to forge national solutions to national problems, no matter how local — or seemingly passive — their individual origins,” Silberman wrote.

fug it, where is my sterilize all the stupid people plan!!?? We have a national problem with stupid people and I proposed a national solution of sterilizing them to solve the national problem. My plan passes constitutional muster.

#5 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 22,245 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:21 PM

The DC Circuit is a well-respected court so the SCOTUS may give some weight to this.

I don't like the opinion though. :( Rights, what rights?

fug it, where is my sterilize all the stupid people plan!!?? We have a national problem with stupid people and I proposed a national solution of sterilizing them to solve the national problem. My plan passes constitutional muster.

lead by example?

#6 pantherfan49

pantherfan49

Angry inventor

• HUDDLER
  • 5,153 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:52 PM

lead by example?

Sure, why not?

#7 ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

Insane Racist Moron

• HUDDLER
  • 6,050 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 09:57 PM

Any lawsuit that has anything to do with Pat Robertson deserves to go down in defeat on simple face value alone.

#8 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 18,238 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:17 PM

if you trust Congress on this then you are hands down a total jackhole buffon.

#9 ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

Insane Racist Moron

• HUDDLER
  • 6,050 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:34 PM

if you trust Congress on this then you are hands down a total jackhole buffon.

Reading the words of this lawsuit, it is built around calling Congress' ability to apply a law equally into question, not whether the substance of the enforced law is within congressional authority (it makes a play at that with the 1st amendment stuff, but a poor one).

This is a joke lawsuit brought about by an evangelical organization on bogus grounds. Not exactly the thing I'd like to see built up as precedent.

#10 pantherfan49

pantherfan49

Angry inventor

• HUDDLER
  • 5,153 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 07:53 AM

Reading the words of this lawsuit, it is built around calling Congress' ability to apply a law equally into question, not whether the substance of the enforced law is within congressional authority (it makes a play at that with the 1st amendment stuff, but a poor one).

This is a joke lawsuit brought about by an evangelical organization on bogus grounds. Not exactly the thing I'd like to see built up as precedent.

Yeah you have to be very careful about who challenges these things. The deck is already stacked in favor of the Feds (SCOTUS usually defers to their powers, Feds have unlimited funds to fight these suits, Feds have already researched the constitutionality so they have a head start).

I would love to see the SCOTUS strike this and many other laws down as not being within congressional powers, but that is just silly. Once we greatly politicized the SCOTUS nomination process (which was inherently politicized anyways), the SCOTUS became largely a rubber stamp for Congress and the Prez.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.