Photo
- - - - -

So who do you want with our 3rd overall pick?

• Please log in to reply
391 replies to this topic

#346 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,630 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 18 November 2011 - 11:51 AM

We wouldn't be paying two guys LT money, because Kalil will only make what the rookie wage scale allows him to make (which, right now, would be less than Cam makes.) And by the time that his new deal comes up (remember, you can't renegotiate rookie contracts until the 3rd year now), Jordan Gross will probably be close to retiring.

Also, Coples is way too small to be a top-level DT, especially at the level we would need him to be playing at. Coples probably isn't even close to our Draft board.

And the idea of trading Smitty to get Justin Blackmon is outrageous. I don't know what all of you guys see in Blackmon, but, he has good speed, and can run decent routes. Has no one ever stopped to think that he is entirely a system WR? That his gaudy numbers come from his college offense? I mean, you don't waste a top 3 pick on a WR that barely measure 6'1.

My point is a right tackle would not go 2nd in the draft theerfore we are paying more for him but I get your point.I mention Couples only because he is the top rated defensive lineman in the draft and has played both tackle and end at a high level.I agree at 286 he is light but extemely strong. I do not see us trading Smitty either

#347 CarolinaAllDay

CarolinaAllDay

NY Panther's Fan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:14 PM

#81, Oklahoma St Cowboys WR Justin Blackmon.

or Matt Kalil. Just cause his name is matt like mine

#348 Bj-Monster23

Bj-Monster23

Slam Newton

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:28 PM

We wouldn't be paying two guys LT money, because Kalil will only make what the rookie wage scale allows him to make (which, right now, would be less than Cam makes.) And by the time that his new deal comes up (remember, you can't renegotiate rookie contracts until the 3rd year now), Jordan Gross will probably be close to retiring.

Also, Coples is way too small to be a top-level DT, especially at the level we would need him to be playing at. Coples probably isn't even close to our Draft board.

And the idea of trading Smitty to get Justin Blackmon is outrageous. I don't know what all of you guys see in Blackmon, but, he has good speed, and can run decent routes. Has no one ever stopped to think that he is entirely a system WR? That his gaudy numbers come from his college offense? I mean, you don't waste a top 3 pick on a WR that barely measure 6'1.

If you don't think Blackmon is good then you never seen him play before. This guy has the opportunity to be a stud at the next level.

#349 Bj-Monster23

Bj-Monster23

Slam Newton

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:33 PM

You don't trade Smith and hope Blackmon can replace him. That would be retarded

Okay so if smitty gets injured or lose a step then who is our number one? I'm just saying we only seen a glimpse of Gettis and i'm not so sure if he can be a true number one. I also know for sure that Lafell and Nanee can't be.:nono:

#350 Snake

Snake

Im on the Gus Bus

• HUDDLER
  • 12,233 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:45 PM

If the we pick 2nd I actually think we may actually have a chance to trade down a couple of spots.

If we pick 2nd this year(which I doubt we will) Kalil and dont think any more about it. We basically sured up our line for the foreseeable future. No other player is going to make an impact that a RT/LT that will give Cam an extra 2-3 seconds to make the big play.

I agree with everything your said except Gross retiring in 3 years.

#351 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,661 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:02 PM

If you don't think Blackmon is good then you never seen him play before. This guy has the opportunity to be a stud at the next level.

There is no doubt Blackmon is good but WR is not a major concern for this team. OL, LB, and CB are the major areas of concern that should be addressed in the draft first and foremost. I want Kalil, Zach Brown, or Dre Kirkpatrick in that order depending on where we pick and which ones are off the board.

#352 IplayedCam#1317

IplayedCam#1317

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:09 PM

Gettis hasn't shown much for us to think of him as an #2 .

#353 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,661 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:20 PM

Well he proved he could be a deep threat and stretch the field, he also had pretty nice numbers for a rookie especially since he had Clausen throwing him the ball.

#354 Johnny Kilroy

Johnny Kilroy

Kilroy Kicks Butt

• HUDDLER
  • 5,648 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:24 PM

Kirkpatrick is so overrated.

#355 Johnny Kilroy

Johnny Kilroy

Kilroy Kicks Butt

• HUDDLER
  • 5,648 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:27 PM

Really?

He showed a lot of things last year with a much worse QB. Imagine what he'll do in a better system that fit's his strengths and a better QB.

#356 CPF4LIFE

CPF4LIFE

• HUDDLER
  • 5,509 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:40 PM

Gettis did have decent numbers with Clausen throwing him the ball but most of those yards came in two or three games other than that he didnt stick it out much. I like Gettis too, but yall are overrating him. Rivera said in training camp that somebody needed to step up and take the number 2 spot before he even got hurt so he wasnt sticking out then either. At the end of the day we still really dont know what we have in him.

#357 Bj-Monster23

Bj-Monster23

Slam Newton

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:46 PM

Gettis did have decent numbers with Clausen throwing him the ball but most of those yards came in two or three games other than that he didnt stick it out much. I like Gettis too, but yall are overrating him. Rivera said in training camp that somebody needed to step up and take the number 2 spot before he even got hurt so he wasnt sticking out then either. At the end of the day we still really dont know what we have in him.

That's what I have exactly been saying. You just can't say we wont look at WR because it's not a main need. The coaching staff are very serious about developing cam into a top 5 QB. They are going to do anything to make him get there. I also believe Justin blackmon will be a good WR in the league and he will have Smitty to tutor him a long the way. We have to hope that Gettis steps up and become a very solid number 2. We only seen a small glimpse.

#358 Johnny Kilroy

Johnny Kilroy

Kilroy Kicks Butt

• HUDDLER
  • 5,648 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:47 PM

But look what Cam is doing with the WRs/TEs he has now. It doesn't seem to be a immediate problem.

#359 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 15,959 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:55 PM

My opinion is we should use every available draft pick on the defensive side of the ball despite needs at WR and OT.

But between Jeffery and Blackmon I am torn. I think Jeffery would be a better fit and would compliment Smith, Naanee, Lafell, and Gettis nicely.

Jeffery is a beast in the red zone and is virtually unstoppable on the one on one fade route. Something we do not have right now on our offense but I don't think he has the ability to get enough separation to be a true #1 WR in the NFL But I think as a #2 or slot receiver he would be huge for this offense.

Blackmon is sort of the opposite. I think he can be a #1 receiver and is a big playmaker but does he fit with our personnel? Right now we have a lot of speed guys (granted not as good as Blackmon) but not a "hands" guy who can make catches in a crowded space, i.e. the red zone.

i kinda envision Jeffery as a Keyshawn Johnson in his prime and Blackmon as a Desean Jackson.

So either one would be an upgrade and I would be super happy if we drafted either one. I do think that Jeffery would be a better fit with our current personnel but I don't think he is a #1 receiver but a perfect compliment to the WRs we currently have. But should we use a high draft pick on a complimentary player? Blackmon has the ability to replace Smith eventually as a #1 receiver but I don't think he will help us as much in the one area that it is needed most, the red zone.

Big plays and moving the ball from 20 to 20 hasn't been the issue this year (for the most part). It is when we get to the red zone that we are struggling. I think Jeffrey changes that. But again do you use a high draft pick on him?? I don't know.

Just my opinion.

Edited by teeray, 18 November 2011 - 02:05 PM.

#360 Johnny Kilroy

Johnny Kilroy

Kilroy Kicks Butt

• HUDDLER
  • 5,648 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:59 PM

Since when was Blackmon a slouch on fade routes?
He is one of the best.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com