Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Postal Service reports massive $5 billion loss

110 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

This is so screwed up... and a symptom of exactly what's wrong with this country...

$5 billion... BILLION! That's ONE YEAR.

[url]http://money.cnn.com/2011/11/15/news/economy/postal_service_loss/index.htm?hpt=hp_t3[/url]

[QUOTE]NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- The U.S. Postal Service reported an annual loss of $5.1 billion on Tuesday, as declining mail volumes and mounting benefit costs take their toll on the agency.
The Postal Service said in a statement that its losses would have been roughly $10.6 billion if Congress had not passed legislation postponing a $5.5 billion payment required to fund the agency's retiree health benefits.[/QUOTE]

What is the solution?

Posted · Report post

taxes on christmas trees!

Posted · Report post

[quote name='nc_biscuit']This is so screwed up... and a symptom of exactly what's wrong with this country...

[url]http://money.cnn.com/2011/11/15/news/economy/postal_service_loss/index.htm?hpt=hp_t3[/url]

What is the solution?[/QUOTE]
3 day delivery. Mon, Wed, Fri.

Charge more, not less for bulk mail.

Posted · Report post

Yeah, getting rid of it would hurt business in the US... but they gotta do something.

Posted · Report post

outsource

everything the gov does is grossly inefficient and expensive

Posted · Report post

[quote name='nc_biscuit']This is so screwed up... and a symptom of exactly what's wrong with this country...

What is the solution?[/QUOTE]

The solution is no more federally run post offices/mailing services. Its that simple.

Posted · Report post

[QUOTE]$5.5 billion payment required to fund the agency's retiree health benefits[/QUOTE]

Privatized health care is awesome!!!!!

Posted · Report post

[quote name='venom']The solution is no more federally run post offices/mailing services. Its that simple.[/QUOTE]

Ack! Didn't mean to pie but whatever...

I thought about just doing away with it but I there would be too many people who wouldn't pay for postal services and then what do power companies and landlords do about getting bills to those people?

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Inimicus']Ack! Didn't mean to pie but whatever...

I thought about just doing away with it but I there would be too many people who wouldn't pay for postal services and then what do power companies and landlords do about getting bills to those people?[/QUOTE]

Where is this free postal service of which you speak?

Posted · Report post

I think the internet really killed the postal service. I have always thought that they have done a good job as far as my service has gone, but I actively do whatever I can to reduce the amount of mail I get because it's a pain to maintain.

Posted · Report post

The Milkman went the way of the Dodo.
Time for 6 day a week mail carriers to do the same.

Posted · Report post

The post office is a special circumstance of government services because they are required to service all areas for largely the same price. That's not good for business to set up a post office in bum fuck nowhere. For that reason, I do tend to give the post office a pass.