109 replies to this topic

#16 The Other Colbert

The Other Colbert

new

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:36 AM

The post master general needs to gather all the postal workers around a huge movie screen and show them that Costner movie The Postman. They will either be inspired or go on a rampage. I did the later after watching that crapfest.

it wasn't that bad

#17 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,504 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 07:18 AM

Privatize.

#18 Inimicus

Inimicus

Life is better in a kayak

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,136 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:40 AM

Where is this free postal service of which you speak?

Its free in as much as you are not charged a discrete fee to receive your bills or your jury summons.

Its also why privatization will never work.

#19 Panthers128

Panthers128

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 5,283 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:45 AM

The postal service always tries to rip me off. They will not tell you the available shipping options and just state the more expensive shipping options. I caught them doing it a couple times.

#20 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,956 posts

Sounds like it's the pensions that are breaking them. A govt run postal service could work....it just will never be able to under the current conditions.

Govt employees used to make less money but got better benefits...now they, in many cases, make more than the commercial sector, are harder to downsize, and still get those benefits that made working for them appealing.

#21 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,960 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Its free in as much as you are not charged a discrete fee to receive your bills or your jury summons.

You are completely clueless.

Privatization of the mail service would absolutely work.

The person "sending" the letter, bill, etc would pay (just as they do now).

At a minimum, the service shoudl be cut to delivering 3 days a week and massive cuts in the workforce. Getting a gov't job with the postal Service is a major reward for someone. Most inefficient organization in the government.

#22 Panthers128

Panthers128

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 5,283 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:48 AM

I'd be the first person to sign up for paperless. In fact they can keep the jury summons.

#23 Mvp2014

Mvp2014

Phenom

• HUDDLER
  • 3,764 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:54 AM

This is so screwed up... and a symptom of exactly what's wrong with this country...

$5 billion... BILLION! That's ONE YEAR.

http://money.cnn.com...x.htm?hpt=hp_t3

What is the solution?

Yet UPS and Fedex(privatized) report gains every quarter. Perfect example of why the government shouldnt be managing business, PERIOD. I love watching those stupid USPS commercials knowing that I paid for them, fuging great!

#24 Inimicus

Inimicus

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,136 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:55 AM

You are completely clueless.

Privatization of the mail service would absolutely work.

The person "sending" the letter, bill, etc would pay (just as they do now).

That assumes that the delivery service makes regular trips down every road. There is a reason you cant send a letter via UPS or FED Ex for less than 10 bucks. Because every residential delivery is essentially a special trip for the delivery vehicle.

Like it or not the logistics of running a for profit business would make serving every address in the country everyday a losing proposition. Just ask the USPS.

At a minimum, the service shoudl be cut to delivering 3 days a week and massive cuts in the workforce. Getting a gov't job with the postal Service is a major reward for someone. Most inefficient organization in the government.

Where have I heard that before?

3 day delivery. Mon, Wed, Fri.

Charge more, not less for bulk mail.

#25 Inimicus

Inimicus

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,136 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:57 AM

Yet UPS and Fedex(privatized) report gains every quarter. Perfect example of why the government shouldnt be managing business, PERIOD. I love watching those stupid USPS commercials knowing that I paid for them, f**king great!

Neither UPS nor Fed Ex make a stop at EVERY residential address and most business addresses 6 days a week.

Apples and oranges...

#26 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,956 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:08 AM

That assumes that the delivery service makes regular trips down every road. There is a reason you cant send a letter via UPS or FED Ex for less than 10 bucks. Because every residential delivery is essentially a special trip for the delivery vehicle.

Posted Image

#27 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,322 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:08 AM

maybe if we got them to deliver pizzas as they delivered the mail.......thats the ticket

#28 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,956 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:09 AM

maybe if we got them to deliver pizzas as they delivered the mail.......thats the ticket

Then we will really need govt backed healthcare

#29 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

I Mean He Was Found Guilty

ayy lmao

• ALL-PRO
  • 10,133 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:14 AM

Like it or not the logistics of running a for profit business would make serving every address in the country everyday a losing proposition. Just ask the USPS.

Well that's certainly a massive problem that "WARGBARGL PRIVATIZE" in and of itself doesn't come close to resolving.

#30 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,322 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:19 AM

The Postal Service could jack up their prices the same way a private company would have to.

The UPS model is totally inadequate for what the Postal Service does. If it were anywhere remotely possible they felt they could make any money by taking it over, I'm sure we would have heard some kind of proposal from them by now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com