• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,727 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 12:48 PM

Whoo hoo..

student loans will go higher.

Awesome.

http://www.wral.com/...story/10393483/

Chapel Hill, N.C. — Ignoring the pleas of students to limit tuition increases, the Board of Trustees for the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill on Thursday approved one of the largest increases in recent memory.

Under the plan, which still must be approved by the UNC Board of Governors and state lawmakers, tuition for in-state undergraduates would go up by $800 in 2012-13 and at least $583 a year over the following four years.

The UNC Board of Governors implemented a 6.5 percent cap on tuition increases across the university system several years ago, but the cap allowed campuses to impose a one-time increase beyond the cap to "catch up" to tuition levels at competing schools nationwide.

got to love this part though

Students said UNC should dip into its $2.2 billion endowment before forcing students to make up for state budget cuts. They say they are graduating with too much debt or are being forced to stop their education altogether because of rising costs.

Officials said much of the endowment is earmarked for specific uses. They also noted that 45 percent of the tuition increase will be set aside for need-based financial aid.

#2 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 22,297 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:16 PM

They should make it illegal to lend out more than $25k in student loans.

#3 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 18,313 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 17 November 2011 - 06:32 PM

They should make it illegal to lend out more than $25k in student loans.

I agree. Keeps a person from getting in over their head right out of school and avoid any abuse of loans with no goal of paying them back.

#4 King

King

A Cell of Awareness

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:23 PM

Posted Image

#5 Delhomeboy

Delhomeboy

Wage Slave

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:25 PM

Got to love the time-honored tradition of "earmarking." :rolleyes:

#6 tarheelpride

tarheelpride

Logic is optional

• HUDDLER
  • 2,917 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NC

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:08 AM

Dangerous road you're walking when you say you'll increase tuition. I've been down that road many times (and have been lucky they increased my aid so that it got covered).

#7 pantherfan49

pantherfan49

Angry inventor

• HUDDLER
  • 5,158 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 07:12 AM

Maybe now students will measure the true cost of their education before they spend 75k getting the fancy liberal arts degree that offers no prospects of employment.......

nah, that ain't happening.

#8 fitty76

fitty76

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 07:33 AM

What about going to Community College for the first year or two? Is that not an option?

#9 pantherfan49

pantherfan49

Angry inventor

• HUDDLER
  • 5,158 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:00 AM

What about going to Community College for the first year or two? Is that not an option?

Unfortunately it is frowned upon as being for "dummies"

#10 MCP

MCP

Peace, Love, Uke

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:07 AM

Yep, the "dummies" are the ones that acquire the best education they can afford, the "smart ones" are the ones that go into ridiculous debt, before they even get started on life.

#11 pantherfan49

pantherfan49

Angry inventor

• HUDDLER
  • 5,158 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:09 AM

Yep, the "dummies" are the ones that acquire the best education they can afford, the "smart ones" are the ones that go into ridiculous debt, before they even get started on life.

How much is community college tuition? Like $600 a semester or something outrageously cheap like that?

#12 fitty76

fitty76

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:11 AM

Too bad. Bite the bullet. Get those core classes out of the way. You shouldn't go to a 4 year college to take English 101 or History 101. Get those classes taken care of early. I wish I had done that.

#13 fitty76

fitty76

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:14 AM

The liberal arts college I went to made PE part of the graduation requirement. And it wasn't just one class it was TWO! One was a 2 hr credit, the other was a 1 hr credit. Just a total waste of time.

#14 fitty76

fitty76

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:15 AM

How much is community college tuition? Like $600 a semester or something outrageously cheap like that?

I took three classes at CPCC a couple of years back. I think it was less than $600.

#15 pantherfan49

pantherfan49

Angry inventor

• HUDDLER
  • 5,158 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:15 AM

The liberal arts college I went to made PE part of the graduation requirement. And it wasn't just one class it was TWO! One was a 2 hr credit, the other was a 1 hr credit. Just a total waste of time.

That's because without a PE requirement, Kinesiology graduates wouldn't have jobs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.