Photo
- - - - -

Can the Panthers afford to go Offense with their 1st pick in the Draft?

• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

#136 Snake

Snake

swagaholic

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,466 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 12:38 PM

Our offense will only get better with Cam at the helm.. as Cam progresses, the offense will progress.. If Pickles can make Gettis look good, Cam is going to make him look twice as good. I have full confidence in Gettis to come back and he our #2. Therefore, I do not consider WR an likely option in this draft.

We all know that when Otah is healthy, he is a monster. Fact of the matter, is he is as durable as glass.. and can not be depended on. It sounds like he never fully healed from his knee injury from last season, so I think the guy should be ready to go next season with 2 seasons of rehab. If coach Rivera and Hurney believe this to be the case, I do not expect us to draft OT Kalil either. Yes, Gross is getting up there, but I think the LT position can hold off for another year or two.

Our defense is the worst I have seen for this team in a long long time.. Rivera is a defensive guru.. he just needs a little bit of time to get the right pieces and guys need to buy in to this system. We have all seen what he did in Chicago, and in San Diego.
That being said, we need to go defense early and often in this draft.
If we can trade down to gather and extra 2nd rounder, and maybe a 1st or 2nd from next years draft, that would help tremendously. Our top needs can all be had later in the 1st round.

CB - Claiborne is being compared to Charles Woodson on many scouting sites.. and his stock is rising fast. He has no comparability to Peterson of last season besides both going to LSU. Munny is better at nickel and he should stay there. Ideally, I would trade down with the Skins, whom love Barkley.. draft Claiborne and then take the best Nose Tackle and OLB available with the first 10 picks of the 2nd round.

I guess CB really just depends on how the staff feels about Hogan and his recovery. They want wast there 1st pick on CB if they feel they have a starter in Hogan.

There is not a Patrick Willis or a Suh in this draft and that saddens me.

#137 Seltzer

Seltzer

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • LocationLKN

Posted 21 November 2011 - 12:52 PM

There is not a Patrick Willis or a Suh in this draft and that saddens me.

This. I have no idea at this point who would be a slam dunk pick for the Panthers since we are not looking for QB (Luck/Barkeley).

I am hoping the Panthers will be able to trade down with a QB needy team and pick up draft picks.

Injuries have exposed how thin this roster is, especially on the defensive side of the ball. Regardless of what anyone would lead you to believe, the difference between winning and losing is razor thin in the NFL.

The Panthers have some quality starters at a lot of positions, but then there was a HUGE drop-offs to the back-ups. A lot of this falls on drafting well, but Hurney is getting somewhat of a pass this year from me for drafting Cam when all the "experts" wanted him to fail so bad.

A lot of our back-ups (Connor, Senn, Pugh, Norwood, Williams bros, etc.) that have been pressed into duty would be special teamers at best on the best teams. And I can't pick out one out of that group that is great enough on ST to justify a roster spot strictly for ST's.

I don't think the Panthers can go offense with our first pick unless there is a stud Offensive linemen. Don't know enough about Matt Kalil to make that statement.

Biggest need in this draft is to boster defensive side of the ball

#138 tiger7_88

tiger7_88

old skool SWAG

• HUDDLER
  • 4,265 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:46 PM

LSU corner hype is going on at basically every draft article and website on the interweb

LSU has two starting cornerbacks in the NFL.

Two. (Patrick Peterson/ARI and Corey Webster/NYG).

Bama has one starting cornerback in the NFL.

One. (Kareem Jackson/HOU).

Compare that to the fact that South Carolina has FIVE starting cornerbacks in the NFL.

Other teams: Ohio State has 3, Georgia has 3, Auburn has 2... hell, even freakin' Louisiana-Lafayette has 2.

I really can't quite understand this new "legend" about LSU and Bama cornerbacks and where it is coming from.

#139 pantherj

pantherj

• HUDDLER
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 05:09 PM

I'm expecting something like this:

Panthers select - MATT KALIL, OT, USC

Or

Panthers trade down and focus on defense.

#140 theyhateme45

theyhateme45

360 GT = Shino45

• HUDDLER
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 05:44 PM

Guy’s the answer is very simple!!!

Best Player Available!!

It’s that simple…. Really if we end up drafting that high we need to take the BPA available outside of RB, TE, QB, K, and P. You don’t need to reach for needs at the top of the 1st round. We have rounds of picks and Free agency to work on our picks. With a top pick of the draft you need to make it count a draft the best playmaker/Stud on the board. Period. You want to draft a pro bowl type player there.

No matter what the position, if that player is a stud he will help this team. We have had games where we scored little points, games where we gave up a lot of points… point is this team needs a lot of help and with our first pick I would like to take the best damn football player there is.

If it’s a O-lineman, he will help give Cam a little more time, maybe just enough to completed a pass he would not of had time to before, or open a bigger whole for the RB. If it’s a WR, then he will help stretch and control the defense. If you have a stud opposite side Smith who can make defenses pay for bringing pressure or double covering one side that will make our offense run that much better, and cams job that much easier… then we can dictate the defense and not allow them to do what they want. O-Line/Wr could mean better offense which gives us that one extra score, or more leads the defense can play against better (easier playing with the lead vs trailind) and gives them more time on the sideline.

Same goes for defense… If there is a Sug type DT… draft him. He is a game changer that can make the rest of the defense better, and make a few plays that causes an extra possession or two for the offense. It can be in the secondary where we can now lock down a side of the field allowing more time for the D-line to get pressure or make or sack. Or maybe this guy makes a few interceptions which can be major game changers. Any stud on defense can have a effect on the whole defense, which can lower the # of points given up per game and make up for slower offensive days.

The point is there is no right answer. We need to go into the draft willing to draft whichever stud falls to us and is the best available. No matter the position if it is a stud it will improve the team. Think about it, right now if we add a Calvin Johnson, Suh, Jake long, Ed reed type safety, another stud LB… they will all help this team for years. When you are drafting that high you need to look for those type of players…. The team will change over the years, but when u get a pick that high you need those type of players who can be your core during the next 5 + years.

Do not forget, the first pick is not our only acquisition in the year… We have other draft picks/FA to target needs… So for the first one get the BEST DAMN PLAYER AVAILABLE!

To answer your question yes we can afford to go offense with our first pick… and we can also afford to go defense.

#141 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 10,863 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 06:50 PM

Btw guys a lot of things will change regarding the draft/team needs by April.

It's kinda pointless to talk about this right now.

#142 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 10,863 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 06:55 PM

And again, unless someone like the redskins (a team that's questionably managed) or the browns (a team with picks to blow) absolutely falls in love with jones or Barkley, a trade down isn't feasible, unless you're alright with gurney selling low, and I'd personally love to see that poo storm on here.

#143 R0CKnR0LLA

R0CKnR0LLA

Drunk Posting

• HUDDLER
  • 8,880 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 21 November 2011 - 06:57 PM

Btw guys a lot of things will change regarding the draft/team needs by April.

It's kinda pointless to talk about this right now.

Very true but when you're sitting at 2-8 discussing upcoming games seems just as pointless.

#144 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 10,863 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:03 PM

Very true but when you're sitting at 2-8 discussing upcoming games seems just as pointless.

Uh that says more about your specific lack of creativity and your general status as a "Bad Poster" than the actual realities of a situation with literally infinite variables.

#145 Soul Rebel

Soul Rebel

Respect the Rivera

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:20 PM

TBH, sitting at 2-8, most subjects are available for discussion. I get that the draft, team needs, FA targets, cap $$, etc. all change before April, but we aren't going anywhere this year. This season was and still is all about re-building and an eye toward the future. Anyone that thought on opening day that this team would eclipse 6 wins in 2011 was an eternal optomist and sadly mistaken. We should be happy that Fox-ball is gone and we have a franchise gamechanging QB that has exceeded all hopes.

#146 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 10,863 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:22 PM

TBH, suck my fat cock.

#147 Soul Rebel

Soul Rebel

Respect the Rivera

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 08:16 PM

Whip it out big dawg :sifone:

#148 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 16,584 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 08:26 PM

Posted Image

#149 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,828 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 08:32 PM

oye vey.

#150 prowler2k8

prowler2k8

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 08:53 PM

I believe Otah will be back and healthy next year, fingers crossed, but when he's healthy he's one of the best in the game. Look how good the OL was in '08 when we drafted Otah. Image Kalil, Wharton, Kalil, Bell or Schwartz and Otah on the line. That would be sick

Fixed 4 u. If the Panthers do pick in the top 5 and Kalil is available, they would be best served to trade Gross and his contract while he still has some value. I can't see the Panthers keeping Gross around if they go OT in the 1st and Otah is healthy going into next season due to his (Gross) age and contract. With most of the guaranteed money paid out in the 1st 3 years of the deal, he could be expendable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.