Photo
- - - - -

NFC West Exec: Matt Kalil isn't the best OT prospect on the board.

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Cat'sGrowl

Cat'sGrowl

The Beast Lurks Once More

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,113 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:54 PM

I'm posting this because of the misconception around here that Matt Kalil is a Joe Thomas/Jake Long type OT prospect-he isn't-and one NFC West executive doesn't even feel that he is the best OT on the board.

Word On The Street: Don't be surprised if Iowa's Reilly Reiff* emerges as the top offensive tackle in the 2012 draft class if he decides to come out. According to an NFC West personnel executive who has seen USC's Matt Kalil*, Stanford's Jonathan Martin* and Reiff, the Iowa standout is more polished and refined than his counterparts. He is also regarded as a more consistent player and still has the potential to improve as a pro. With Iowa's reputation for producing fundamentally sound offensive linemen, Reiff could leapfrog the competition prior to draft day.

http://www.nfl.com/n..._content_stream

You know what I'd bet though? I'd bet if his name was Reilly Kalil, this board wouldn't shut up about him.

I'm also sick of the Draft being like the Super Bowl for Panthers fans..I'm sick of waiting for next year...I'm tired of hearing how bright the future is...It's time to start winning games.

#2 Dpantherman

Dpantherman

certified pee-on

• HUDDLER
  • 26,468 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:58 PM

So what are you going to do about it?

#3 Montsta

Montsta

Rest In Peace

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,723 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:01 PM

Because execs from the NFC West have been hitting Grand Slam Homeruns in the draft in recent years...

#4 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,640 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:01 PM

then take one of those two with our #2 pick.
i don't care.

#5 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,640 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:02 PM

Because execs from the NFC West have been hitting Grand Slam Homeruns in the draft in recent years...

lololololol

#6 SOJA

SOJA

Official Panthers Fan

• HUDDLER
  • 9,522 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:04 PM

so you're telling me, that we may not be able to accurately predict the best prospects in next year's NFL draft before Thanksgiving?

:mindblown:

#7 Swarly

Swarly

MichaelJordanLaughing.gif

• HUDDLER
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:05 PM

this hahahahahahha

why are the West divisions so fugin shitty?

seriously

Cardinals, Rams, Seahawks, Chargers, Chiefs

Raiders and Broncos(lolwut) are decent teams but terribly inconsistent. 49ers are good though.

oh how nice it'd be if 8-8 won the NFC South

#8 ItsPantone278

ItsPantone278

ItsPantone278

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:06 PM

Riley?

#9 Guest_Setfree1012_*

Guest_Setfree1012_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:07 PM

I'm also sick of the Draft being like the Super Bowl for Panthers fans..I'm sick of waiting for next year...I'm tired of hearing how bright the future is...It's time to start winning games.

Fair enough, but when you don't have all the pieces to win you have to get them...when's the last time you played chess without knights and bishops?

Did you find success? I wouldn't think so, and neither will we until we have talent at all levels of this team. My assessment is...

QB-Above average
HB-Above average
WR-WR/TE-Above average
O-Line-Average (see injuries)

D-Line-Below average
LB-Poor (see injuries)
DB-Average
S-Below average

In comparison to the teams that have won consistently recently we don't even compare, this year was the first year of actually building in my eyes and likely many other fans eyes a winner. We may only have 2 wins (I hoped for 4-6 prior to season after the draft) but we are much further along than this team last year when you look at some of the questions we were facing then....

1)What do we do at QB?
2)Should we trade Smitty, has he lost a step?
3)Should we keep Gamble?
4)Will Charles Johnson produce when not in a non-contract year?
5)Coaching staff changes "Who's the head man"

I could go on, but I believe most of our main questions/concerns have been answered and through this season we see where we need additional help to move forward, and maintain consistency on the field.

#10 Cat'sGrowl

Cat'sGrowl

• HUDDLER
  • 7,113 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:08 PM

So what are you going to do about it?

Cook lunch and buy a Panthers hat. This one:
http://shop.panthers...-blackgrey.aspx

#11 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,547 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:09 PM

The contrarian "Unnamed Exec states standout player ______ is not really the best ______ on the board" is a draft story as old as time.

#12 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 38,469 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:10 PM

The contrarian "Unnamed Exec states standout player ______ is not really the best ______ on the board" is a draft story as old as time.

Yep. Same sorts of things being said about Andrew Luck.

Opinions can differ, but it's true some guys just like to rock the boat.

#13 Cat'sGrowl

Cat'sGrowl

• HUDDLER
  • 7,113 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:11 PM

And yet still more compelling than anything Delhommey has ever posted.

#14 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,640 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:12 PM

unamed exec is usually an exec for a team that is actually really interested in that player.

#15 Montsta

Montsta

Rest In Peace

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,723 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:14 PM

Wouldn't surprise me if "unnamed exec" was with St. Louis, and they want Kalil before we can get him with our #2 pick. Their offensive tackle play has been abysmal this year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com